Food Mixer

billytheghillie

29 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

in that case Kenwood Chef metal or if you can stretch to it Kitchen aid Artsan or better

But if it all possible don’t rush; I picked one up for many, many pounds less than RRP, including a kit of attachments (mincer), simply by keeping an eye on prices online & pouncing during a sale. They still seem to be made quite substantially so aren’t cheap to manufacture. They need to be quite torquey as kneeding dough is hard work

We procured a Kenwood chef from the other half’s grandmother when she’s passed away. It’s a great bit of kit and we use it more than I thought we would. It’s heavy to get in and out of the cupboard but we keep it stored away when it’s not being used (just in case it’s haunted). Need a mincer attachment and dough hook for it though. All I have made so far is a mess and brownies.

I have a kenwood chef. Brilliant bit of kit. Has mixer, k beater, dough hook, mincer(with sausage making nozzle), liquidiser. Mine is quite old and still going strong. Often see them on Ebay as they last forever.

Lots of attachments on Ebay too.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Kenwood Chef.  Excellent machines.  Just be aware if buying used (e.g. on line auctions) that not every accessory fits every vintage of mixer (pre 1976 models and accessories are pretty much incompatible with later models). 

The basic mixer has the main 'stir, beat and whisk' thing that goes in the bowl.  These come with the mixer, but you can add a dough hook and a 'folder' that need to have the right fixing (I think there are two types).

Then there is a 'high speed outlet' on the top above the pillar part.  This takes blender, food processor accessories, juicers etc (usually bought separately, though sometimes bundled as 'deals').  I think all (or nearly so) high speed accessories are interchangeable.

At the front there is a low speed output - and there are two different fittings - with an adaptor (both old to new and new to old are available) to allow more recent accessories (bayonet type fit) to fit older machines (locked with a spring bar).  This powers a whole range of accessories -

• mincer (with sausage filler tube) - good for game and leftovers
  • spiralizer - never much seen the point!
  • dicer - good for veggies for soups, pies and pasties
  • various pasta gadgets
  • various graters etc

A few models (a few years ago) also had a medium speed outlet, but nether the machines nor accessories are common.- but medium speed accessories don't fit other models.

Current attachments are listed here https://www.kenwoodworld.com/uk/products/food-mixers/chef-major-attachments

Be aware that accessories add greatly to the price - and take up storage space - and some are not the easiest to wash/clean.  The mincer for example is cast aluminium, very well made, works very well - but the finish is not dishwasher compatible, so needs hand washing.

I am very pleased with my machine, and it is used quite a lot (main mixer and food processor attachment) ......... but some accessories are of more questionable value/usefulness.

Edited by JohnfromUK