Better times

FOXHUNTER1

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Less my  Welder's eyes are mistaken GWF 

Correct.  Shot on the Humber so legit.     At the time it was just a White Front, went a bit giddy and missed the simplest of shots lol.  Fortunately second barrel accounted for it as it climbed.        Strangely the previous two were shot a few miles away inland and they were both GWF. There are usually a slack handful every other year or so which turn up for a while, normally lost family parties or singles.

4 minutes ago, scolopax said:

Correct.  Shot on the Humber so legit.     At the time it was just a White Front, went a bit giddy and missed the simplest of shots lol.  Fortunately second barrel accounted for it as it climbed.        Strangely the previous two were shot a few miles away inland and they were both GWF. There are usually a slack handful every other year or so which turn up for a while, normally lost family parties or singles.

Top Man well done mate. As you probably already know I've shot a lot of GWF ( when legal Scotland ) but each season there is some mixed in with the Pink's Norfolk/Lincolnshire

It seems like an age ago, but here we are a young 7days, as you can see gents and gentle ladies I was a bit of a catch. 🤣 That was after one  of my  regular mad two day splurges back in the day, that was around the mid eighties.

No branded gear then, I would be out in all weathers and could always be in or around a field, hedge, wood, pit or pond.  Some sporting, some vermin control.

wonderful memories.

atb

7diaw

20200411_132704_opt.jpg

I just thought of two more (ex) quarry species which we used to shoot back in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s. 
Redshank and Bar Tailed Godwit.  
I shot a few of each on The Wash but I have no pictures of either. I would be surprised if anyone can produce one today.

Going back to Scolopax/Foxhunter posts from a couple of hours ago re other ducks, when I shot The Wash regularly Goldeneye were common ( not good eating) and Pintail not too unusual.

3 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

20170331_085355.jpg.a3338511ab04d1bf845c89266df31de9.jpg

20150131_112837.jpg

20141011_103659.jpg

Conor's first White pheasant

Tuffted Duck and Golden eye

A few days on Scottish Island then Mainland ( Geese was legal and shot under licence years ago )

Barnacle - Greenland Whitefront - Greylag - Pinkfeet - Mallard - Teal - Woodcock and Pheasant

IMG_20181029_084954.jpg.63f1b46b1ef2c06f4e101174d47914e5.jpg

Canada Goose - Parakeet - Pheasant - Dove and Pigeon

Well done with the Ptarmigan. When were they taken? I think that may be all the game birds covered?

Others we still need include Pochard, Ruddy Duck & Scaup (NI), Egyptian Goose, Monk Parakeet. 

Have we already done Jack Snipe? Any old quarry species no longer shot? 

Edited by WalkedUp

14 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Well done with the Ptarmigan. When were they taken? I think that may be all the game birds covered?

Others we still need include Pochard, Ruddy Duck & Scaup (NI), Egyptian Goose, Monk Parakeet. 

Have we already done Jack Snipe? Any old quarry species no longer shot? 

I'll do my best to hunt out Egyptian - Bean ( now protected ) Brent ( legally shot under licence )  Pied Balled Pinkfooted and European Whitefront Geese I've shot and Conor has a Drake Pochard in the freezer.

What a fantastic thread 👍 I think we still need pochard and Mink and feral cat

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Conor's first White pheasant

Tuffted Duck and Golden eye

A few days on Scottish Island then Mainland ( Geese was legal and shot under licence years ago )

Barnacle - Greenland Whitefront - Greylag - Pinkfeet - Mallard - Teal - Woodcock and Pheasant

IMG_20181029_084954.jpg.63f1b46b1ef2c06f4e101174d47914e5.jpg

Canada Goose - Parakeet - Pheasant - Dove and Pigeon

Where were the parakeets shot ? Would love a go at them for my album.I 😁

Edited by FOXHUNTER1