Better times

FOXHUNTER1

a young JDog............before he learnt to shave...........

and now he is a raddled empty husk of humanity (i use that word loosley).................who is well known in the industry as a "cartridge snatcher"............

where is the mink ?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, JDog said:

I have only once ever shot a Mink. It was in the Scottish Borders near Roberton. My old Labrador dived in and retrieved it.

A once in a lifetime day on the river.

Salmon catch 1.jpg

Was that Roberton near Hawick ? I was in a syndicate there with a small grouse moor and loch.  

1 hour ago, JDog said:

I have only once ever shot a Mink. It was in the Scottish Borders near Roberton. My old Labrador dived in and retrieved it.

A once in a lifetime day on the river.

Salmon catch 1.jpg

Autumn cock fish!...........2nd from the right looks a nice fresh fish!

9 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

What a fish that is!

JD was it on a fly, shrimp or spinner?

Fished for Grayling in a few Scottish rivers and had salmon around me feet but never fished for one.

atb

7diaw

All of them were caught on a fly, a Stoats Tail. Several of them were caught on the same fly which was pretty bare and bereft of dressing towards the end but it still caught them. The largest weighed 19 1/4 lbs.

The river had seen drought conditions until a week before. Then it flooded. This was the first day of falling water levels.

For those fishermen who might be considering that some of the fish were stale, they were not. The one on the right looks dark but that was as a result of putting it into a black plastic bin liner for too long.

7 minutes ago, JDog said:

All of them were caught on a fly, a Stoats Tail. Several of them were caught on the same fly which was pretty bare and bereft of dressing towards the end but it still caught them. The largest weighed 19 1/4 lbs.

The river had seen drought conditions until a week before. Then it flooded. This was the first day of falling water levels.

For those fishermen who might be considering that some of the fish were stale, they were not. The one on the right looks dark but that was as a result of putting it into a black plastic bin liner for too long.

Wow,  just wow!

I have never fished for a Salmon and I may be wrong but I would think that it would be very unlikely to  bag a catch of that amount these days. 

I bet that fly has a special place in you game book, what a wonderful memory.

atb

7diaw

2 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Excellent work on the mink. I’m not sure about the wisdom of feral cat pics considering that the first rule of PWatch is you don’t talk about cats 🤣 

Although there’s a famous gun engraved By I believe Harry kell with all the predators of the uk and it has a wild cat on it would that count? 

On 11/04/2020 at 23:02, FOXHUNTER1 said:

What a fantastic thread 👍 I think we still need pochard and Mink and feral cat

Where were the parakeets shot ? Would love a go at them for my album.I 😁

Pochard has been covered. Maybe not. I haven't got a picture of any that I have shot.

Edited by motty

17 minutes ago, motty said:

Pochard has been covered. Maybe not. I haven't got a picture of any that I have shot.

Yes Conor has a Drake Pochard in the freezer for setting up. I also have a Hooded Crow i shot in Norfolk ( first and only one I've even seen in England )

33 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Yes Conor has a Drake Pochard in the freezer for setting up. I also have a Hooded Crow i shot in Norfolk ( first and only one I've even seen in England )

Nice. I have only shot about 3 pochard. All on the ouse washes, and all drakes.

Edited by motty

Just now, motty said:

Nice. I have only shot about 3 pochard. All in the ouse washes, and all drake's.

I've shot a few pochard in Scotland but no pics  , even managed a right and left 😁

I dont fish so dont have any pics but seeing as Jdog has posted salmon why not keep on posting fish .....

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

Haven’t seen any, I believe Decathlon (UK arm of French company) still sell decoys for them (99p), I don’t know when they were removed from game species in the UK but maybe someone is still shooting them somewhere...

If I remember correctly, (I often don’t these days), it was Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 when we lost Godwit, redshank, grey plover, curlew, whimbrel. Can’t think of any more offhand.

We still don’t have pics of Greater Black Back Gull, Lesser Black Back Gull or Herring Gull, all of which were on schedule two of the old POBAct. along with cormorant.  
I shot all those in the past but never any pics.

Edited by London Best

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

If I remember correctly, (I often don’t these days), it was Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 when we lost Godwit, redshank, curlew, whimbrel. Can’t think of any more offhand.

We still don’t have pics of Greater Black Back Gull, Lesser Black Back Gull or Herring Gull, all of which were on schedule two of the old POBAct. along with cormorant.  
I shot all those in the past but never any pics.

Interesting times in years gone by. Wonder what it will be like in years to come ? I remember also starling and house sparrow used to be legal too.