Better times

FOXHUNTER1

There were still a few in Suffolk in the late 70's. Remember seeing them when fishing along the river Deben at Crettingham and Brandeston. Huge holes distroying the banks. They used to live trap them  and always baited with cucumber. My Uncle had one raiding his allotment so set a trap and caught it. The coypu bit him bad. But he knew he had got the right one because it had beetroot stained teeth/mouth.    NB     

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Having eaten all or most of the waders once on the quarry list, there was me thinking that I`d eaten some weird and wonderful things, but coypu 

Hi  Chris  ...... We could nearly start another thread with the different species of fish and fowl people have eaten over the years , I can start with Mud Butts ( similar to Dabs but a slightly muddy taste ) , Smelts ( We called them Cucumber Fish as they tasted exactly like a Cucumber ) and with our feathered friends , Coots , you skin them and have got a nice gamey taste , Cygnet , very similar to geese , How did I get hold of one ? , It hit the telegraph wires in foggy weather :hmm:, well this was about 50 years ago and I do remember it was foggy .

When in Florence I spotted what I thought was a huge rat but turned out to be a coypu on the River Arno ,they are quite a problem and in the Lombardy region alone it’s estimated there are about 1.3 million of them. I don’t have any exotic bags but below is probably one of my best bags for a days walk up and flight with my lab. Pink foot ,,mallard ,teal and pheasant not a big bag by others standards but great memories. My usual bag for the day would be 3 or 4.

90D4F048-C912-46BE-B4FA-334B52EE2387.jpeg

Edited by Konor
Addition

3 hours ago, Grandalf said:

Very disappointed with this little guy.   It should have been a marlin or sailfish. 

Ben's Tobago 010.jpg

Great picture - a barracuda? 

38 minutes ago, Konor said:

When in Florence I spotted what I thought was a huge rat but turned out to be a coypu on the River Arno ,they are quite a problem and in the Lombardy region alone it’s estimated there are about 1.3 million of them. I don’t have any exotic bags but below is probably one of my best bags for a days walk up and flight with my lab. Pink foot ,,mallard ,teal and pheasant not a big bag by others standards but great memories. My usual bag for the day would be 3 or 4.

90D4F048-C912-46BE-B4FA-334B52EE2387.jpeg

16 head of game is a pretty impressive bag for one man walked up shooting! Carrying the birds and gun eventually limits being able to shoot more. 

6 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Great picture - a barracuda? 

16 head of game is a pretty impressive bag for one man walked up shooting! Carrying the birds and gun eventually limits being able to shoot more. 

Walked up and flight in the evening ,the pinkfoot mallard and pheasants were taken during the day and hung up in the game bag while I walked the gorse for woodcock. The teal were taken on an inland pond at evening flight after the rest of the bag were in an outbuilding for pick up later. My game bag or legs wouldn’t have handled walk and shoot with more than two pheasants easier to do circuits and drop and pick up the game bag .

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I don’t think anyone has yet mentioned Stock Doves. They were on the shooting list until 1981.

I have a very early memory around age 11 going out with a slightly older cousin near Sandhead to shoot what he called rock doves with an old folding .410 not many shot but an adventure and my first experience of shotgun shooting ,no pictures unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Konor said:

I have a very early memory around age 11 going out with a slightly older cousin near Sandhead to shoot what he called rock doves with an old folding .410 not many shot but an adventure and my first experience of shotgun shooting ,no pictures unfortunately.

Yeah, many people erroneously called them rock doves round here.  Totally different species.
Actually, with your location being West Scotland you could well have been shooting Rock Doves on the coast??

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

Yeah, many people erroneously called them rock doves round here.  Totally different species.
Actually, with your location being West Scotland you could well have been shooting Rock Doves on the coast??

It was on the coast in South West Scotland they looked much like feral pigeons but my cousin referred to them as rock doves but I don’t know how accurate that was.

Edited by Konor
Addition

4 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

In to days news. Beaver see for the first time in centuries in Norfolk. That'l be where Ditchmans gone then.😉 I think he will be disappointed tho.    NB 

I thought they had been released in Scotland and Devon , maybe there are other secret locations as well.