Better times

FOXHUNTER1

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Were you a better shot in 2011 ?🤭

😁 probably, the field had been willows for bio mass for the previous 10 years, that was the first year in with maize, Rhd has devastated the local population with just a few pockets surviving. 

RHD has been a nightmare. One of our farmers who had previously had big problems thinks we are the bees knees as he saw a few of our big bags a couple of years ago (under his orders) and now no rabbits. 

On the quest we still need pictures of shot Mink, Pochard and Monk Parakeet. 

21 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Well done with the Ptarmigan. When were they taken? I think that may be all the game birds covered?

Others we still need include Pochard, Ruddy Duck & Scaup (NI), Egyptian Goose, Monk Parakeet. 

Have we already done Jack Snipe? Any old quarry species no longer shot? 

August 2009, Laggan, Highland!.....checked my records......I shot 2 Brace of Ptarmigan on the high tops, then 4 1/2 brace of Red Grouse, including 2 R&L’s on the way down:rolleyes:....shot walked up Grouse the day before too!.......The trip was a 60th Birthday present from my wife! 😘

Edited by panoma1

Still waiting for mink 🤔

Just now, panoma1 said:

August 2009, Laggan, Highland!......I shot 2 Brace of Ptarmigan on the high tops, then 4 1/2 brace of Red Grouse, including 2 R&L’s on the way down:rolleyes:....shot walked up Grouse the day before too!.......The trip was a 60th Birthday present from my wife! 😘

Brilliant,  you did very well walking them tops at 60 👍

1 minute ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Still waiting for mink 🤔

Brilliant,  you did very well walking them tops at 60 👍

That ain’t the full story! I got back to the hotel around 4.30, still in my shooting gear, and found the hotel had messed the booking up.....and let my room! They were very apologetic but I was informed, they couldn't offer me another room, as they were now fully booked....wasn’t too pleased😡........after a bit of a Frank exchange of views!😡.........I picked my stuff up and left, for the long drive home!.....nonstop.....arrived at my house, at bang on midnight!.......still in my shooting gear!

29 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

That ain’t the full story! I got back to the hotel around 4.30, still in my shooting gear, and found the hotel had messed the booking up.....and let my room! They were very apologetic but I was informed, they couldn't offer me another room, as they were now fully booked....wasn’t too pleased😡........after a bit of a Frank exchange of views!😡.........I picked my stuff up and left, for the long drive home!.....nonstop.....arrived at my house, at bang on midnight!.......still in my shooting gear!

What a great day though, well worth the drive 👍

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Thinking about it is the ruddy duck still on the list 

Ruddy duck was a strange one. It was never on any list. It was subject to a comprehensive government organised cull by paid contractor teams but was never placed on either the quarry or the pest species list, so it would have been illegal for joe bloggs to shoot one whilst duck flighting. 

Maybe some of older members may have photos of Capercaillie or Coypu?

2 minutes ago, scolopax said:

Ruddy duck was a strange one. It was never on any list. It was subject to a comprehensive government organised cull by paid contractor teams but was never placed on either the quarry or the pest species list, so it would have been illegal for joe bloggs to shoot one whilst duck flighting. 

Thanks for the information 

manderin ducks are another anomaly 

Ruddy duck are still on the Northern Ireland wildfowl list from BASC. However as there are only 25 pairs in the country, the chances of anyone having ever shot one are slim to non-existent. It should be as per Monk Parakeet and Badger, generally confined to government eradication do excluded from our list. 

13 minutes ago, scolopax said:

I was reading about Capers recently in The Field, it shows what a properly managed shooting system can do for conservation. Had never heard of the Coypu invasion until tonight though!