Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
twenty

Ravens.

Recommended Posts

Two ravens on the thermals above the local area this morning, Croaking away, they are a dead giveaway,

Sightings are quite frequent now,  this was probably a non breeding young pair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah shucks. You've just reminded me of a trip I'm not going to now make! We had planned to head to our family's holiday cottage in Wales and I wanted to check out a nest my dad had seen last time they were up there. It's about 30m up and he thought peregrine, but it seems too elaborate and I'm thinking raven. I wanted to take the camera and scope up and get some shots of it in use. Stupid virus lockdown!

I have an unending soft spot for ravens. That croaking and contact pinging is such an uplifting sound for me. Grand birds.

image.png.1e53364aae14a89e1b42f0e312b24c44.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have counted 13 at one time here.

Quite like to see them but not so keen on them taking my youngstock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Ah shucks. You've just reminded me of a trip I'm not going to now make! We had planned to head to our family's holiday cottage in Wales and I wanted to check out a nest my dad had seen last time they were up there. It's about 30m up and he thought peregrine, but it seems too elaborate and I'm thinking raven. I wanted to take the camera and scope up and get some shots of it in use. Stupid virus lockdown!

I have an unending soft spot for ravens. That croaking and contact pinging is such an uplifting sound for me. Grand birds.

image.png.1e53364aae14a89e1b42f0e312b24c44.png

 

Almost certainly a ravens nest, the nests I have seen Ravens build in trees, have always had a vast amount of sticks used in their construction..............I like them as well.

Pity you weren't going to wales, if this nest was in use, there would probably be youngsters in it at the moment, as Ravens are early breeders, starting in late February.

All the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Ah shucks. You've just reminded me of a trip I'm not going to now make! We had planned to head to our family's holiday cottage in Wales and I wanted to check out a nest my dad had seen last time they were up there. It's about 30m up and he thought peregrine, but it seems too elaborate and I'm thinking raven. I wanted to take the camera and scope up and get some shots of it in use. Stupid virus lockdown!

I have an unending soft spot for ravens. That croaking and contact pinging is such an uplifting sound for me. Grand birds.

image.png.1e53364aae14a89e1b42f0e312b24c44.png

 

There is actually a Raven in that nest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JDog said:

There is actually a Raven in that nest.

Well spotted !....I just zoomed in and there it is, I'd say that nest has been in use for a few seasons, with yearly materials being added, like rooks.

All the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They are here in very big numbers. Very clever and very destructive on the backs of ewe's during lambing, and pecking at the eyes of sheep laying up. Often wondered if they all do it, or if they learn it from others. 

Edited by oowee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up until about 3 years ago if it was of a size, black and flew you shot it. Then one afternoon this monster appeared over the barrels as I swung down through it. Alfred Hitchcock would have loved it. A couple must have moved up from the west. Not a total disaster as a couple of days later, but from the east this time and hiding in some stinking daisies on the edge of the same field I spotted a couple of quail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wymberley said:

Up until about 3 years ago if it was of a size, black and flew you shot it. Then one afternoon this monster appeared over the barrels as I swung down through it. Alfred Hitchcock would have loved it. A couple must have moved up from the west. Not a total disaster as a couple of days later, but from the east this time and hiding in some stinking daisies on the edge of the same field I spotted a couple of quail.

Yeah its surprising how much bigger a Raven is against a crow/rook, and the wingspan as well.

All the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, oowee said:

They are here in very big numbers. Very clever and very destructive on the backs of ewe's during lambing, and pecking at the eyes of sheep laying up. Often wondered if they all do it, or if they learn it from others. 

Had to shoot 2 ewes this morning because ravens  had pecked their guts out! Did managed to get a couple of nice lambs out of then 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hardly ever saw them years ago but their cronk can be heard quite a bit all over our area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...