Ravens.

twenty

Ah shucks. You've just reminded me of a trip I'm not going to now make! We had planned to head to our family's holiday cottage in Wales and I wanted to check out a nest my dad had seen last time they were up there. It's about 30m up and he thought peregrine, but it seems too elaborate and I'm thinking raven. I wanted to take the camera and scope up and get some shots of it in use. Stupid virus lockdown!

I have an unending soft spot for ravens. That croaking and contact pinging is such an uplifting sound for me. Grand birds.

image.png.1e53364aae14a89e1b42f0e312b24c44.png

8 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Ah shucks. You've just reminded me of a trip I'm not going to now make! We had planned to head to our family's holiday cottage in Wales and I wanted to check out a nest my dad had seen last time they were up there. It's about 30m up and he thought peregrine, but it seems too elaborate and I'm thinking raven. I wanted to take the camera and scope up and get some shots of it in use. Stupid virus lockdown!

I have an unending soft spot for ravens. That croaking and contact pinging is such an uplifting sound for me. Grand birds.

Almost certainly a ravens nest, the nests I have seen Ravens build in trees, have always had a vast amount of sticks used in their construction..............I like them as well.

Pity you weren't going to wales, if this nest was in use, there would probably be youngsters in it at the moment, as Ravens are early breeders, starting in late February.

All the best.

9 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

There is actually a Raven in that nest.

They are here in very big numbers. Very clever and very destructive on the backs of ewe's during lambing, and pecking at the eyes of sheep laying up. Often wondered if they all do it, or if they learn it from others. 

Edited by oowee

Up until about 3 years ago if it was of a size, black and flew you shot it. Then one afternoon this monster appeared over the barrels as I swung down through it. Alfred Hitchcock would have loved it. A couple must have moved up from the west. Not a total disaster as a couple of days later, but from the east this time and hiding in some stinking daisies on the edge of the same field I spotted a couple of quail.

8 hours ago, wymberley said:

Up until about 3 years ago if it was of a size, black and flew you shot it. Then one afternoon this monster appeared over the barrels as I swung down through it. Alfred Hitchcock would have loved it. A couple must have moved up from the west. Not a total disaster as a couple of days later, but from the east this time and hiding in some stinking daisies on the edge of the same field I spotted a couple of quail.

Yeah its surprising how much bigger a Raven is against a crow/rook, and the wingspan as well.

All the best. 

9 hours ago, oowee said:

They are here in very big numbers. Very clever and very destructive on the backs of ewe's during lambing, and pecking at the eyes of sheep laying up. Often wondered if they all do it, or if they learn it from others. 

Had to shoot 2 ewes this morning because ravens  had pecked their guts out! Did managed to get a couple of nice lambs out of then