Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ratlegs

Birdfood

Recommended Posts

Just a thought  Its Easter      Who is feeding the Seagulls at Scarborough?

P1510648.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone at work said who's feeding the gulls now Mac Ds is shut, carpark is normally full of them but not now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard on radio Norfolk the Gulls are going hungry          No Pizza or Chips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one appeared as soon as I opened the bag of crisps 🤨 It stayed there for 10 mins keeping the other ones away !

Don't know how some will survive now much of their food source isn't available ? Anyone seen an up-rate of numbers in their area ?

20200110_131559.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JKD said:

This one appeared as soon as I opened the bag of crisps 🤨 It stayed there for 10 mins keeping the other ones away !

Don't know how some will survive now much of their food source isn't available ? Anyone seen an up-rate of numbers in their area ?

20200110_131559.jpg

We've been going to the canteen at work and as soon as they see food containers they swoop in, I can see a couple of pairs nesting on porta cabins from the work shop but there are definitely fewer about at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mice! said:

We've been going to the canteen at work and as soon as they see food containers they swoop in, I can see a couple of pairs nesting on porta cabins from the work shop but there are definitely fewer about at the moment. 

This one was at a tesco in Folkestone during my late lunch stop back in January. Every tesco, KFC, and other 'food' place I get my lunch usually has a few [read loads 🙄] about, some look like they're actually begging 😂

Just wondered whether they were building up in numbers where they crowd,,,, ie tips, arable land [during ploughing etc] ?

I'm not worried about them BTW, less the better IMO 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JKD said:

I'm not worried about them BTW, less the better IMO 🙄

I didn't think you were, they can be a real pain once the chicks hatch around work, dive bombing, and attacking people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I didn't think you were, they can be a real pain once the chicks hatch around work, dive bombing, and attacking people.

Yeah sorry,,,, said that just in case someone thought I was concerned for their welfare, which I'm not.

I was on a job bear Deal during nesting time last year. There were gulls nesting on the shallow roof of the four-house terrace. Once the eggs had hatched it was all out war on the residents of the small cul-de-sac, especially the postman 😯 I wasn't very welcome either, but they didn't dive-bomb me like they did the residents and the poor postie 😵 The residents contacted the local authority for a solution,,,, couldn't go near them until the chicks had gone 😕

Hopefully the inshore population might get decreased this year 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed loads of herring gulls been hanging around on drillings for days. Hadn't thought it maybe because they cant find easy food else where.   NB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Noticed loads of herring gulls been hanging around on drillings for days. Hadn't thought it maybe because they cant find easy food else where.   NB 

That's the thing,,,, what is their change of situation going to affect ? Just curious is all 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JKD said:

That's the thing,,,, what is their change of situation going to affect ? Just curious is all 🤔

They clever scavengers so adults will be ok. I bet there breeding success will be well down. Some probably not breeding at all or have failed already maybe. Adult should all be on eggs or have young now. Other birds nesting on reserves like Minsmere etc will be hit had by them as they are closed so less disturbance. No ducklings have survived my way. We badly need rain or a lot of birds and wildlife will struggle like the crops.  . . . My feeders are well busy.  NB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know in the scheme of things it's not a major problem, but as has been pointed out,,,, the 'problem gulls', ie the ones that frequent 'food outlets' etc, have moved on to a different food source. So, the 'problem' has been unavoidably shunted on to affect something else, in a lot of cases it will be other wildlife 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NatureBoy said:

No ducklings have survived my way. We badly need rain or a lot of birds and wildlife will struggle like the crops.  . . . My feeders are well busy.  NB

Happy to say we've just been out and seen three lots of ducklings,  two on the river and one on a pond, kids were very happy. 

My bird feeders are very quiet, but they always go quiet around now.

And yesterday I saw my first Osprey driving home, only got a glimpse,  just gutted we couldn't go out to see it properly,  but there would probably have been hundreds there watching. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...