Was it a scam?

henry d

Yesterday I was shopping and noticed a brightly coloured car in front of me at the roundabout, coming off I needed to be in the outside lane and he was slower so I started to overtake, he then pulled alongside and was looking at me strangely. Next roundabout I went right he went straight on. This is where it gets odd. I did a couple of turns to get me home and am 500m beyond the roundabout when I see this same car behind me. I carry on thinking this is odd, so I turn off near my home where there is a cul de sac with a turning circle at the end so I can see if he is following and get turned round fast. He follows and at the circle I whing it round and accelerate to get away, but he is waving his hands at me to stop. I stop and he said you nearly hit me on both roundabouts, we are getting the police. I said go ahead and pointed at the dash cam. I then drove off, and headed for the police station, at a main junction they went another direction.

Police haven't spoken to me, should I bother reporting them?

Cheers

5 minutes ago, henry d said:

Police haven't spoken to me, should I bother reporting them?

It certainly wont hurt and you seem to have a decent recollection of the car which will help. They will probably try the trick with an elderly driver and con him/her into handing over cash for them to keep quiet. 

10 minutes ago, Robertt said:

Would forward an Email for the attention of the Police Traffic Dept with the footage as an attachment.

It won't just be you they've tried to have off.

^^^ This, you reporting it with your footage, could well help some other unfortunate person who isn't so lucky to have a dash cam.

These people are scum.

1 hour ago, henry d said:

you nearly hit me on both roundabouts, we are getting the police.

Sorry to be a little dim, but why would the police be involved or why should cash change hands? The police, if they saw the incidents, might stop you and offer driving advice but what else?

This is obviously a scam and like others have said just keep the evidence for now. 

However the situation got me thinking about this possible scenario. When they stopped at the side of you , pick up your phone and capture their identity. When they threatened to call the police encourage them to do so. Then point out your dash cam and say that if they did not want to call the police after seeing this, you would call them anyway. However, you could then add that if they handed some money over to you ,you would let the matter drop. Their reaction would be interesting.

I have both hi and lo res footage and their reg no. Reason I asked here was I don't want to bother my wife with it she is having to deal with several friends who have C19 or have had family die from it.

Thanks everyone for the input I will send an email and description of them to the police and say I have the footage, which I don't think I can send as it will be too big a file size but I will ask if they want a hard copy as it has time date speed and GPS on it.

Long story short: I retired from cab driving a year after being mugged by five Somalians. Few weeks later, but before I retired I had to race off over a grassed area after another bunch of the same looking crowd tried to force their way into my cab. Called police but as no actual crime was committed they would not take any action. I didn't pursue it as my actions driving on grass and racing away with people trying to climb in through the window might have got me nicked.

Spoke to police and they said they din't have any one phone them that day, even though they said they were talking to them at the time. They thought it may have been a scam and they would log the details of the car.

On 10/04/2020 at 11:46, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, if you have a video just post on face book,

If I posted on FB they could find me and I could end up with my car keyed, tyres slashed or my shed alight.

5 minutes ago, henry d said:

Spoke to police and they said they din't have any one phone them that day, even though they said they were talking to them at the time. They thought it may have been a scam and they would log the details of the car.

If I posted on FB they could find me and I could end up with my car keyed, tyres slashed or my shed alight.

You think they were members of the caravan club then?

9 minutes ago, henry d said:

hello, ok i do not have facebook or any other similar, best left to the police i think, cheers