Should I pay the balance for our holiday?

ilovemyheckler

1 minute ago, rimfire4969 said:

I think you should wind your neck in a bit. If you read above you will see what I am doing for my customers and certainly not profiteering. When the government includes your travel dates in the no travel guidelines your holiday provider can and should offer you some more choices. If you cancel before that happens it’s up to you and as per their terms and conditions I guess no refund. Pay by credit card and get some cover. 

I am just giving you the guidelines that businesses such as mine have been given. 

Because of this virus I stand to lose my family business which makes us all unemployed as well as losing our home. My wife and 3 kids plus my mum and dad will be homeless.

I am trying to give you a different perspective on the whole thing. There is no need to shoot the messenger! 

No need to wind my neck in. 

You're profiteering by not returning deposits as you can't provide a service.

Simple.

Profiteering. 

Just like looting.

I’ve got a holiday to Mauritius booked for first week on July and Portugal at end August. 

Deposits paid for both (and flights booked and paid for for Portugal). I intend to pay the balance when due otherwise I forfeit the deposits and if we can’t go because of restrictions I suspect it will need a claim on the travel insurance or Credit Card. 

My daughters school skiing trip to Italy was cancelled and we have been told by the school that we are unlikely to get a refund due to ‘force majure’ clause in their insurance. Unfortunately we didn’t pay that by Credit Card as it was added to school bill. I might try claiming for it on my annual travel policy. 

14 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

No need to wind my neck in. 

You're profiteering by not returning deposits as you can't provide a service.

Simple.

Profiteering. 

Just like looting.

You do make me laugh, it’s always someone else’s fault. Next time you book read the terms and conditions. If you cancel you lose the deposit. As I have tried to say wait until the government announces your dates are included in a travel ban and it should give you more options.

If this is your attitude I am not surprised your accommodation provider told you to do one. 

I am offering my customers the same service that was booked just at a different time either this year or next once its over. I am very pleased that 99.9% of my customers are Fantastic people and understand the very difficult times and what some families are going through and they are happy to move their booking and we are working with them. The 0.01% will should be able to refund. 

4 hours ago, ilovemyheckler said:

I contacted the owner and she said that as there was no official notice not to travel we have to pay the balance and if we don't the holiday will be cancelled and our deposit lost.

I see you already live in Scotland and I am sure you know what happened to the previous chief medical officer for Scotland who went for a wee drive. We have to stay at home and not do any unnecessary traveling so there is an official notice in Scotland and I am sure the rest of the UK. I would wait until the 25th of the month and see if things ease up a little. When and where is it that you are due to go. I had a trip over to the outer islands planned for the end of May and a trip to Orkney for end of August, I managed to cancel both my accommodation and ferry's with full refunds.

2 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

It's a chance of losing £300 or losing £1160. If she won't return the £300 in good faith after you have been going 10 years what's the chance of getting the lot back if you pay it all. Try negotiating with her, but it might be better to write £300 off than the lot. 

I agree with you, he’s  been a loyal customer that should count for something.  SWMBO and myself were only discussing this situation this morning with our holiday in Northumberland in June. I won’t our balance due at the end of this month as don’t believe we will be let out until July/August at the earliest 

22 minutes ago, yates said:

I agree with you, he’s  been a loyal customer that should count for something.  SWMBO and myself were only discussing this situation this morning with our holiday in Northumberland in June. I won’t our balance due at the end of this month as don’t believe we will be let out until July/August at the earliest 

Wait as long as your can, if you must pay do it by credit card. All providers want you to come back and will try and do what you want to keep your business. Wait for the government to cancel your dates, this really opens the door to help get what you want. Please remember most providers are small businesses and your help in just moving dates and not asking for a refund could be the difference between losing their house and business or not. 

I can see the logic in opposing views on this subject.

This subject was covered recently on TV. If you have travel insurance you must pay the balance on time to be able to make any claim. No insurance company will consider a claim if you are in breach of contract by not paying on time. 

A question for the holiday home owners - do you ensure your customers take out insurance to cover cancellation? It could prevent a lot of arguments and bad feeling.

42 minutes ago, Brodie said:

I can see the logic in opposing views on this subject.

This subject was covered recently on TV. If you have travel insurance you must pay the balance on time to be able to make any claim. No insurance company will consider a claim if you are in breach of contract by not paying on time. 

A question for the holiday home owners - do you ensure your customers take out insurance to cover cancellation? It could prevent a lot of arguments and bad feeling.

I have a caravan and camping site. We can’t insist on insurance. We offer the option and recommend it but a lot of people don’t bother if they are travelling only in the UK. 

On 10/04/2020 at 13:29, bigbird said:

We have the same quandary!! We paid a deposit for a holiday to Jamaica in August with Tui paid a couple of ks off it and the final payment is due 24th May. We don’t know what to do!

You will be protected under ATOL as you booked with Tui you have no worries if it does get cancelled you will receive 100% of your cash back.

Edited by blackbird