sea spinning- carp rod ?

islandgun

12 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

perfect. Although, I secretly hate you as I'm now looking at new lure rods. Can't even use it! I've got a fin nor 4-8lb class boat rod sitting waiting to be christened too. Cursed lockdown!

christ thats a light rod, Nowadays all of my boat fishing is with a 7ft spinning rod, probably about the same weight,  Some might find these lures of interest https://www.findafishingboat.com/sandeel-lures-white-rhubarb-custard-red-pink-yellow-cod-bass-pollock-5pcs/ad-108203  Ive been using  these exclusively, deadly for Pollack and Cod and a bit more than £1 each, cant find a most recent pic but heres my youngest, we usually get a few up to about 8lb my PB is 9lb 15 oz..👍

358727028_ellenfish.jpg.4f9f8bd032a29c3be29d4903dfe4090f.jpg

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Should have piped up earlier! I'd definitely look at a dedicated spinning rod. Lumping a lure out is all very well, but you'll get more feel out of a proper rod. Plenty of options to choose from.

10ft Nomura Kanji would definitely be worth a look at. Uncomplicated rods, but will give you more finesse than an an ox-cart of a carp rod!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nomura-Kanji-Lure-Rod-Sizes/dp/B00OBQBOX6?th=1&psc=1

Or for a bit more money (shop around though!) there's the Penn Rampage II Bass

https://www.anglingactive.co.uk/penn-rampage-ii-bass-rod.html

I have a couple of Rampage II boat rods and they're great rods. What's nice about the Bass rod is a good long handle that gives a lot extra pivoting and thus power in the cast. Also come in a cordura tube, which is a nice touch

I’d second that ref the dedicated  lure rod. You’ll quickly get bored of using a carp rod casting every few minutes 👍

46 minutes ago, islandgun said:

christ thats a light rod, Nowadays all of my boat fishing is with a 7ft spinning rod, probably about the same weight,  Some might find these lures of interest https://www.findafishingboat.com/sandeel-lures-white-rhubarb-custard-red-pink-yellow-cod-bass-pollock-5pcs/ad-108203  Ive been using  these exclusively, deadly for Pollack and Cod and a bit more than £1 each, cant find a most recent pic but heres my youngest, we usually get a few up to about 8lb my PB is 9lb 15 oz..👍

Yeah it's ridiculously new off the market - Fin-nor Lethal Bite. So new, in fact, that when the first batch went out they'd cocked up all the labels and sent out 4-8's as 7-12's, as 12-20's and so on. All a bit of a mess. But I had a long chat with one of the UK boat owners who tested the rods in the development stage and even at 4-8lb they were dropping 1lb leads and even had blue shark on them to 136lb apparently!. I think the plan was to test them well beyond what they're intended for, but they never had a break! It's the perfect kayak weight though. I now have three boat rods for two slots, so I imagine either the 6-12 or the 12-20lb will be going to a new home. 

That's a great fish. I'm properly missing Scotland right now. My partner's had to cancel a trip to NZ for a wedding that's not happening now. I was going to sneak up the Sutherland and the islands with the kayak instead, but that's been shelved too.