3 1/2 inch conversion

Manish

Just wondering can a 3 inch gun be bored out to take a 3 1/2 inch case? Needless to say it will go to a gunsmith to be done and I'm sure it would have to off to the proof house which might be a good thing as it can be proofed for steel too. The gun would be an old AYA that take a 3 inch mag already

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice would be to regain the capacity that your 3" case has given up and use a shorter wad and/or a roll turnover and load your own. Using the old "low velocity" type of loading where shot load was increased but at the cost of a reduced velocity. As to the original question I'd very much urge direct contact with ASI the then and current AYA importers as they will know. My own thoughts are unless it has sentimental value to sell it as it is and use the money to buy a gun that comes from the factory as it were as a 3 1/2" steel proof.

+1 to the Turkish option. No work, nor risk of failing proof....you do know that barrels for proof must now be fully struck off so it will need the cost of that and the re-black...nor the thing out of your hands for weeks. And, heck, at this price once you've sold the AYA I think you'd come out just about or with only a small amount, say £150, to fund.

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/yildiz/side-by-side/12-gauge/wildfowler-200316132812001

Edited by enfieldspares

More PSI in the 3.5 inch, the 23/4 to 3 inch is much more straightforward being same PSI. Might be on lighter SxS the barrel wall thickness at the end of chamber could be disproportionately thin, this is not to say it wont pass proof just might be thinner due to the outside barrel profile. just buy a 3.5 inch gun.

17 minutes ago, muncher said:

They are light, and I think with a decent load they would kick like a mule, zabala did  a nice one just before they folded very much like Aya. Can't remember the model though.

Canardier 3.5 inch and double discharge on back trigger. i had one around 2006. It was evil with 4 1/2 OZ

Just now, lancer425 said:

Canardier 3.5 inch and double discharge on back trigger. i had one around 2006. It was evil with 4 1/2 OZ

I mate of mine doubled my 416 (its a double rifle) once his face was hilarious 😵 

45 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Is there that much of a gain from 3" to 3 1/2? 

Depends but pasyload not so much but 3.5 inch pressure limits can be handy for faster loads if thats what you like shooting. i use genuine 1800fps steel load in  3.5 inch guns but only 70mm cases.

33 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Depends but pasyload not so much but 3.5 inch pressure limits can be handy for faster loads if thats what you like shooting. i use genuine 1800fps steel load in  3.5 inch guns but only 70mm cases.

Ahh ok I hadn't thought so much of the speed side of it. I just remembered reading some where that the pellet count between the two was negligible. 

So does the fact it's built as a 3.5" gun take the thump out of it when your using a 70mm case?

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Stock fit. I shot a .470 NE Holland & Holland once upon a time. It had no more felt recoil than a 20 Bore 2 3/4" in a side-by-side. The worst, horrible it was, recoil I've ever felt was a Webley .22 Patriot FAC. It was like being punched in the face. Awful, awful, awful.

I agree stock fit does help enormously 

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Converting a pump to 31/2" would be difficult if not impossible depending on the gun. The ejection port wouldn't be big enough.

Na I was thinking of getting a 3 1/2 pump. 

9 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Ahh ok I hadn't thought so much of the speed side of it. I just remembered reading some where that the pellet count between the two was negligible. 

So does the fact it's built as a 3.5" gun take the thump out of it when your using a 70mm case?

Not unless there is other factors involved like the 3.5 inch gun is heavier. but if things are equal, like in the case of my Browning waterfowl. Its same as the 3 inch version but for the chamber, so no difference.

But if you got a gun where the 3.5 inch version is heavier then it will make a difference. same with gas autos etc, but if guns are same weight, no change in felt recoil at all.

10 hours ago, lancer425 said:

I too have had that model, the one I'm on about it was later on and lighter, I have a friend who has one he is selling I believe. I will ask him what the model is.

Edited by muncher

The OP seemed to move from sbs to pump rather soon but here are my thoughts.

An AYA magnum will be worth a few bob as it is so don't try to change it into something else as it will be costly and possibly fail. Sell it or trade it in.

You are evidently planning to go fowling on the coast next season (if we have one), and so I guess you fancy a bigger cartridge if you are changing guns. Reloading is a whole different game which you may come to later in your career. If you are recoil-sensitive as some of us are (it's nothing to do with being big and tough) then consider a semi-auto ahead of a pump or double. I would prescribe a decent used semi-auto in 3" or 31/2" for starters and a few boxes of Mammoths. Your gun will get a bit mucky on the coast at times.

If you must have a pump then be prepared to use it and handle it a lot. They are an acquired taste and pumping on the recoil (not as in the movies !)  becomes a reflex. I once had a Savage pump as my only shotgun for a few years and was very handy with it but going back to trying a Remington 870 pump some years on never felt the same.

Lastly, if your mate really had a double discharge with a double .416 Rigby then either the rifle or the shooter need looking at. On a dangerous game rifle this could get you killed.