3 1/2 inch conversion

Manish

1 hour ago, Pushandpull said:

The OP seemed to move from sbs to pump rather soon but here are my thoughts.

Lastly, if your mate really had a double discharge with a double .416 Rigby then either the rifle or the shooter need looking at. On a dangerous game rifle this could get you killed.

The pump is an option that is open rather than converting and yes it will be for fowling. As for the double discharge it was a case of my mate didn't have enough of his finger over the front trigger so the recoil from the first shot pushed his finger onto the back trigger. I tend to fire the back one first then the front one much like my Grandfather did back in India 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I wouldn't bother getting the chambers extended,  you dont need the extra capacity , especially if you load your own cartridges. 

I've been using a Benelli Nova pump for the last 3 season ( I think?). Good gun, although I've just got a 3 1/2" over under. Benelli still sits in the cabinet mind, may sell it once this is all over

4 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

Personally I wouldn't bother getting the chambers extended,  you dont need the extra capacity , especially if you load your own cartridges. 

I've been using a Benelli Nova pump for the last 3 season ( I think?). Good gun, although I've just got a 3 1/2" over under. Benelli still sits in the cabinet mind, may sell it once this is all over

Im going to start loading my own carts but would it be possible to get 42 grams of 2 shot into a 3 inch case?? sounds a but much to me but I am rather new to this all. I do on the other hand load for all my rifles apart from the 22lr 😆

2 minutes ago, Manish said:

Im going to start loading my own carts but would it be possible to get 42 grams of 2 shot into a 3 inch case?? sounds a but much to me but I am rather new to this all. I do on the other hand load for all my rifles apart from the 22lr 😆

No, volume is to much. 36 gram of 2s is sufficient,  my favourite factory load is 38 grams of 2s made by nsi. 

Biggest load I have for 3" is 37 grams 

5 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

No, volume is to much. 36 gram of 2s is sufficient,  my favourite factory load is 38 grams of 2s made by nsi. 

only problem is the AYA isnt steel proofed. The last thing I want is the thing to blow up in my face due to my own stupidity. Looks like a yildiz is going to make its way into my safe  

22 hours ago, Big Mat said:

I'm not a leader etc but is this true as every year I shoot a slab or so of 50g 3s in a 3inch case? Surely 36g of 2 isnt more? 

On 12/04/2020 at 18:48, Manish said:

only problem is the AYA isnt steel proofed. The last thing I want is the thing to blow up in my face due to my own stupidity. Looks like a yildiz is going to make its way into my safe  

Guns do not just "blow up."

You do not necessarily need a steel proofed gun in order to fire steel cartridges. 

11 hours ago, motty said:

Guns do not just "blow up."

You do not necessarily need a steel proofed gun in order to fire steel cartridges. 

I have heard that but wouldnt be a bad idea? I know high performance steel is a bad idea. I mean would the old AYA handle a 42 gram 3 inch cart in steel?? It is a 3 inch mag rated gun

27 minutes ago, Manish said:

I have heard that but wouldnt be a bad idea? I know high performance steel is a bad idea. I mean would the old AYA handle a 42 gram 3 inch cart in steel?? It is a 3 inch mag rated gun

You wouldn't have a 42 gram 3" cartridge. Secondly, yes. 

On 14/04/2020 at 15:15, Manish said:

Im seeing that 42 grm 3 1/2s arnt all they are made out to be due to the pat spread. Now im getting all confused and unsure as to what to load for 😵🤯

I have a few 3 1/2" chambered guns for wildfowling. The extra capacity can make the difference. I did, however, use a non steel proofed 3" beretta for a few years on the shore. I put any 3" cartridge in it.

13 hours ago, Manish said:

one thing that concerns me about the foreshore is rust on my AYA. I suppose if a lag it up in oil I might get away with it

It is almost impossible to get away from rust on the shore it is just a fact of life. You just have to clean the guns meticulously. Oil in my experience does not guarantee rust free. I tend use something thicker, for example Barbour coat wax can be used on outside metal parts. I use it on my cartridge heads for longevity.