Asbestos !

Daz1986

57 minutes ago, Paddy Galore! said:

no it isn't, , it's proven that the structure of white asbestos is different to that of brown or blue asbestos, also, the roofing sheets are outside, so he won't be in a confined space with any potential particles, therefore he won't be breathing any of the stuff in.

Are you being serious ?! 

ALL asbestos is hazardous and harmful, it doesn't matter what structure each type is. As for being outside, so won't be breathing any of the potential particles in,,,, well,,,, utter garbage !

But,,,, if done properly, wearing the correct PPE, the risk of breathing in 'the particles' is greatly reduced 👍

Could you please stop giving dodgy advice on a topic which you obviously don't have full knowledge of, and obviously no respect for 😏

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My uncle Digger was a bricklayer, he is retired and has asbestosis and COPD. He is really worried about Coronavirus and researched it at length, but he or his employers seemingly never worried once in all his years on site about breaking asbestos sheets or cutting bricks etc unprotected.

As has been said, do not panic . I would say the best advice so far is to contact your council, then seek quotes from three asbestos removal companies. Most we deal with are very reasonable as we keep them in competitive tenders. 

4 hours ago, Jaymo said:

You can also buy antique bear traps- doesn’t mean you can use them 

But you can still dispose of asbestos sheets at Staffordshire County Council tips though, I just checked. You don’t need the special bags anymore either, as long as it’s double bagged in heavy duty polythene. I’m not advising anyone to do the job themselves, just saying what I did, and what I’d do again should the need arise.

This is the law 

you can only remove none notefiable  asbestos, if you have been what they call CAT B trained , full ppe , IE , FFP3 face mask , white suit , and gloves

you must damp it down with water spray , and if not practical to remove in full sheets it can be broken and then bagged , red first , sealed , and placed in a white bag and sealed again , 

it can be expensive to be taken away 

but your council should be able to help 

it does look like corrugated cement based sheets 

but as said get it looked at first , digging a hole in the back garden is not the way forward 

atb 

dave 

Did my garage roof myself a couple of years ago. Council had a web site page telling you how to sort it with a few forms and a council tax bill. 

Proper grade mask and plastic Sheeting Laid out on drive and wetted each sheet broke in half and double bagged certain thickness of bag.

Took to tip in the back of estate in my old estate in a  double duvet cover don’t mess with asbestos it ain’t worth the risk all the clothes I wore went to the tip and had a really good shower.

regards Agriv8