Little Beauty

steve_b_wales

Sitting on farmland (a few 100 yards from my house) and I could see something moving around in the grass. I only had my wife's 'pocket' camera and managed to get this photo, which I cropped to see it better. It was no more that 6ft away from me. The second photo is the original, uncropped one.

STOAT.jpg

IMG_0019.JPG

I had the pleasure whilst fishing of one come up to my feet, then run off, then back, then off ect ect. Like it was a game to it. My other half and my son was sat behind me, but being a young flint of about 2yo he made a noise and it scarpered off. I

I shot one in a hedge row 20 odd years ago, felt awful after and won't do it again. I love watching them, majestic little hunters with a lot of attitude. 

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

I had the pleasure whilst fishing of one come up to my feet, then run off, then back, then off ect ect. Like it was a game to it. My other half and my son was sat behind me, but being a young flint of about 2yo he made a noise and it scarpered off. I

I shot one in a hedge row 20 odd years ago, felt awful after and won't do it again. I love watching them, majestic little hunters with a lot of attitude. 

I too wouldn't shoot one. Including the one today, I have only seen 4 in all the years and farms I go on.

42 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

They've got to be among the most enthralling animals to just watch. Beats Britain's-Got-X-Strictly-Factor-Voice any day of the week

Fantastic little creatures. I remember watching a documentary, where it showed a stoat chasing a rabbit across a field for ages, then finally catching it and biting the back of it neck.

18 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I too wouldn't shoot one. Including the one today, I have only seen 4 in all the years and farms I go on.

Fantastic little creatures. I remember watching a documentary, where it showed a stoat chasing a rabbit across a field for ages, then finally catching it and biting the back of it neck.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think they had a segment in there like that in one of the BBC Natural Worlds, back when UK wildlife wasn't just fobbed off with Springwatch. It was Attenborough narrated, so...Life on Earth maybe?

On 13/04/2020 at 21:48, Sako7mm said:

Having seen a stoat kill an English partridge on her nest, I would never take such a benevolent approach to one as it seems others on here do. Vicious killers and for the sake of other wildlife I would never pass up the opportunity to kill one.

1 hour ago, wigeon jim said:

As above, they are evil killers! Jim.

Calm down , the only animals that I know which are evil killers are men. All other animals kill to survive and evil does not come into it. Yes l can see the need for predators to be controlled on shoots etc by game keepers and the like ,but in the natural world that stoat is just going about its business no malice or evil .come on shooting men get a grip!

16 hours ago, Sako7mm said:

There speaks a man who's not spent any time bagging up dead birds after a fox has got into or around a pen. 

That’s where you’d be wrong then sako7mm ,after losing several of my best laying chickens to a Fox last year I was really p#*@ed off,but I didn’t get evil, I got even two nights later!Still stand by my previous comments 2C031BD1-1C94-46A5-AD19-D15370652AE6.jpeg.c65f9163fdba517d33167d0d03d60ee0.jpeg

I never said I would or wouldn’t kill a stoat ! As it happens  I’ve not had occasion to do this, my comments were directed at the demonisation of animals as though they had human traits . To say a  animal is evil is wrong and only a small jump from a anti who thinks rabbits live in burrows with kitchen furniture and wear little blue jackets! This type of attitude only fuels there argument that the shooting fraternity will concoct any story to fit their criteria.

I said that stoats are vicious killers. Having seen them kill, that's exactly what they are. Have you seen ground nesting birds killed by them? I have and stand by my comments. I don't know any antis who have done as much to protect ground nesting birds as I have and couldn't care less what they think, to be honest.