John Bowkett

biketestace

7 minutes ago, Cheshirelad said:

I know he's very well thought of in airgun tuning circles, especially with BSA's, but I also know that apart from fitting a regulator, there's not really much that can be done to improve a PCP.

hello, JB was a design engineer for BSA, most known for the BSA Ultra

1 hour ago, biketestace said:

Iv got a single shot Scorpion .22,

It has never been serviced or tampered with.

What am i going to achieve by sending this to the great man JB ?

Paul

So your gun is around  12 years old now .the seals inside will be starting to harden a bit this can cause leaks when they crack .

The most likely is the fill port seal and pellet probe seal as they work hardest .

These are easy enough to swap out your self  .internally there are more but are often fine if left alone .

If your gonna be in the habit of stripping down often then  full reseal would help (or a full service ) .

As far as more performance from a service in terms of shot count ,power or accuracy  .you wont see any .unless there actualy  is a problem with a leaking seal at the moment ..

Personally id just get on and shoot it first .you may find after a tin or so .it may spring a leak then is the time to send it away .you will also know the gun better for shooting it first .

Edited by Ultrastu

1 hour ago, biketestace said:

Iv got a single shot Scorpion .22,

It has never been serviced or tampered with.

What am i going to achieve by sending this to the great man JB ?

Paul

I've read several threads off people who have had guns serviced and tuned by JB, the gun will come back smoother more efficient, trigger nicer, basically set up as a one off rifle not a production rifle.

But at a price, JB and Ratworks tunes your looking in the region of £150-250 plus postage.

JB has a FB fan page showing the work that has been done, well worth a look.

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

I've read several threads off people who have had guns serviced and tuned by JB, the gun will come back smoother more efficient, trigger nicer, basically set up as a one off rifle not a production rifle.

But at a price, JB and Ratworks tunes your looking in the region of £150-250 plus postage.

JB has a FB fan page showing the work that has been done, well worth a look.

Thank you

i have never owned a JB tuned BSA ( actually havent owned a BSA in years) but i have shot a few of them and if its costs £200 to go form factory to what i  shot,  i would say its worth it. The 2 I played with were really nice, had the feel if a custom rifle. Everything was smooth and oozed quality 

On 12/04/2020 at 10:15, Hamster said:

The man is a genius, I’d send him any make of gun secure in the knowledge it will come back better. 

I’ve done both with JB - a full service, changed the regulator, all the seals and a tune up. I also sent him just the firing block because the rifle wouldn’t fire. It turned out the block had verdigris which he sorted out for me. 

The Scorpion is a pretty accurate  gun to shoot as standard, Accurate , and reliable. My friend has had his Ultra se blue printed by JB , and it  is an improvement on the standard gun . But, was it worth the expense ?  He , thinks so ,and he paid , so that's all that matters .  I wouldn't do it to my Scorpion se, because it already shoots better than I am capable of shooting it. Stunning guns!

• 2 weeks later...

Leave a message on 0121 745 4287 and John will return your call swiftly. 

I was amused by some comments in this thread about pcp's not being tuneable except for fitting a reg. 

As many others have said, JB will transform your gun. He has done that with many of mine. 

Cheers