17 HMR Recommendations

OddJob

I've got a variation coming for a 17 HMR for rabbits. It's going to be a tool and so looking to spend up to £400 second hand. Just looking for recommendations. Thus far it's a weigh up between the Browning T Bolt and the CZ 455 of anyone has run one of those for a while. Thank you. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a CZ455, so do a few of my pals. No issues at all. I also have the BRNO Mod2 which they descend from, it is older than I am and still puts the bullets through the same hole at 50m. No experience of the T Bolt so can’t recommend or compare unfortunately. 

My 455 is the basic stock, which is tiny for a full grown 6ft man. Wish I had have bought the thumbhole laminate stock with would have fitted me much better and been easier / prettier to extend. 

E7402D31-7756-4C05-B4DF-D117B034329E.jpeg

AC8FF084-EEEA-498C-8B36-C5ED2858A178.jpeg

467F5650-7CF3-42C4-9B9B-4FB420626CFC.jpeg

269C9604-21EC-4846-BCA4-BA2F39DCB245.jpeg

A few of the foxes taken with the CZ455 .17hmr, always head shots. Take the rifle with me to sit out after a duck flight after a walked up day. Tired arms but it’s nothing to carry. The target was 50m using the .22lr BRNO whist zeroing it, still a few clicks to go. A ten shot magazine with one flyer. 

Edited by WalkedUp

I've never been a fan of 17 before, always a 22mag fan boy, but i recently used my mates 452 at the tunnel in Charmouth just before this corona kicked in, so perfect conditions inside, and put 5 shots under a 20p piece. It's had the trigger lightened, it's a £5 spring, floated the barrel and I'll be honest, I was gobsmacked, so I'm converted to the 17 camp. I will be getting a variation when this virus settles down and getting another cz. 

Only other gun I could recommend is a annie 

Unless the cz safety has changed recently it's just a push forward or pull back flag at the back of the bolt? Fine to use, but honestly hardly ever use it on mine any way, either leave it with the last empty in the chamber or with the bolt left at half cock. My 17 is a tack driver, even with a once yearly clean and never fails to feed to or eject, short thumb hole stocked anschutz do look smart though!

Shot a lot of a Anschutz in target competition when younger and they are undoubtedly accurate. 

Safety is great on the CZ, I always use it. However I would see if anyone has the guns and give a few a go to find what is right for you. If you are in Cheshire/North Wales after lockdown you are welcome you have a plink with mine, it was £315 new - pound for pound you cannot get better but if you have the cash then there are definitely better guns it is just you pay a lot more for minor improvements. The stock is my only gripe on my CZ, but that’s my own fault as I knew it was too small when I bought it.

I have a Browning T Bolt in 22 RF and very impressed with it so it would be one I would look at in 17 HMR I also have a 17HMR in a CZ and that is scary accurate if I do my bit. It is the second CZ in that calibre I have owned and the first one is now owned by a farmer friend and still drilling holes after many years, so either of those would work.  I disagree with there being better guns. To me if a rifle puts the bullet through the same hole consistently it IS a good gun and the CZs I have and have owned have done just that.  Like buying a shooting jacket , my Aldi one I have on at the moment cost me £6 about 3 yrs ago and is still as good as new and I almost live in it. If it had some fancy name on it it would be nearer to £100.

It is everyones choice as to what they spend their money on, I prefer ammunition.

45 minutes ago, kennett said:

Unless the cz safety has changed recently it's just a push forward or pull back flag at the back of the bolt? Fine to use, but honestly hardly ever use it on mine any way, either leave it with the last empty in the chamber or with the bolt left at half cock.

More or less this. I have the synthetic stocked CZ which is just a superb workhorse. It was chopped many years ago, is never cleaned, much more accurate than I’m capable of and much more so than any rabbits are aware of. 
A couple of mates are still using the wooden stocked BRNO, and they are every bit as good, the only difference being my stock stands up to and absorbs all manner of use and general abuse. If I was only allowed one rifle, it would be this one. 

On 12/04/2020 at 09:20, WalkedUp said:

E7402D31-7756-4C05-B4DF-D117B034329E.jpeg

AC8FF084-EEEA-498C-8B36-C5ED2858A178.jpeg

467F5650-7CF3-42C4-9B9B-4FB420626CFC.jpeg

269C9604-21EC-4846-BCA4-BA2F39DCB245.jpeg

A few of the foxes taken with the CZ455 .17hmr, always head shots. Take the rifle with me to sit out after a duck flight after a walked up day. Tired arms but it’s nothing to carry. The target was 50m using the .22lr BRNO whist zeroing it, still a few clicks to go. A ten shot magazine with one flyer. 

Nice group with the .22lr. What ammo where you using there 

From memory it will have been Remington .22 HP Subsonics. Tried a few brands and they suited the gun so stuck with them, ricochets are bad so have to choose your shots - similar to most subsonics really. One reason I prefer the .17HMR as it is more frangible and get no bouncers. I don’t find it funny that .22LR is considered a good beginner’s calibre.

I don’t shoot many targets now, shot too many in my youth and so only shoot paper if I need to check zero etc. 

I have a Weihrauch HW60J in HMR - it's a stunning little rifle. Having tried a mate's brand CZ, I've no doubt it's accurate but it doesn't have that quality feel to it. I'm told with a trigger kit they are sublime and maybe once worn in a little it would be smoother

HAD both CZ and TBOLT one in 22lr cz and 17hmr tbolt ended up selling tbolt nice gun but there was a problem with certain models the scope screws were coming loose  (mounts) in the bedding on the gun I’d go for CZ Mine although in 22lr is wooden stock American model Great guns 

Every time this subject comes up the CZ range is the one regular favourite and for  good reason. It does everything more expensive (nicer?) ones do but at less cost.

All three of my rifles are CZ, ie .22lr, 17hmr and .222 cf for that reason.

Your choice at the end of the day.