17 HMR Recommendations

OddJob

27 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

Every time this subject comes up the CZ range is the one regular favourite and for  good reason. It does everything more expensive (nicer?) ones do but at less cost.

All three of my rifles are CZ, ie .22lr, 17hmr and .222 cf for that reason.

Your choice at the end of the day.

Several reasons perhaps: A lot more of them because they're the cheapest - or they're not all brilliant which is why there's always so many used one' s for sale. :-)

We hardly ever see anyone selling a Sako Quad. :innocent:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Good shot? said:

Every time this subject comes up the CZ range is the one regular favourite and for  good reason. It does everything more expensive (nicer?) ones do but at less cost.

All three of my rifles are CZ, ie .22lr, 17hmr and .222 cf for that reason.

Your choice at the end of the day.

I agree my 222 is also CZ wooden stock I think there brilliant rifles And when I do get a deer calibre you can bet il be looking at CZs THEY JUST WORK no bull**** 👍👍👍

2 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Several reasons perhaps: A lot more of them because they're the cheapest - or they're not all brilliant which is why there's always so many used one' s for sale. 🙂

We hardly ever see anyone selling a Sako Quad. 

There no longer the cheapest New plenty other cheaper makes out there I wouldn’t touch CZs do what there built to do WORK !!!! 

I’ve been lucky enough to have fired tens of thousands of rounds through many rifles from bolt action, semi auto, to full auto. I own two CZs a 17 and 22 lr both are great rifles and are far more capable than I am. They work, you will not be disappointed. Yes there are nicer rifles out there it’s your money so your choice, but for the extra cost you are still shooting the same ammo through them. They are hard to beat for value and reliability.

I think with a relatively modern calibre, the rifles out there are all produced using modern manufacturing techniques to high tolerances and are all inherently accurate. I got my Weihrauch for a bargain price - if you can find a decent one second hand then go for it, otherwise the new Tikkas and CZ will be just as accurate.

8 minutes ago, OddJob said:

I've gone for a thumb hole laminate CZ. Gun, scope and mod all in for £350 so plenty left for rounds. 

I seriously doubt you’ll be disappointed. I know there are much nicer guns on the market, but for value for money, and bombproof ability, I don’t think they can be beaten. Have fun. 

I also doubt you'll be disappointed,i've got a CZ455 Thumbhole Varmint 22lr,it's an absolute tack driver & hasn't once let me down,my only personal gripe was the somewhat 'agricultural' safety catch but some careful needle file work & polishing sorted that out,i also upgraded the trigger spring.

26 minutes ago, 51/50 said:

I also doubt you'll be disappointed,i've got a CZ455 Thumbhole Varmint 22lr,it's an absolute tack driver & hasn't once let me down,my only personal gripe was the somewhat 'agricultural' safety catch but some careful needle file work & polishing sorted that out,i also upgraded the trigger spring.

Do the trigger straight away. Will half the groups 

On 12/04/2020 at 09:15, WalkedUp said:

I have a CZ455, so do a few of my pals. No issues at all. I also have the BRNO Mod2 which they descend from, it is older than I am and still puts the bullets through the same hole at 50m. No experience of the T Bolt so can’t recommend or compare unfortunately. 

My 455 is the basic stock, which is tiny for a full grown 6ft man. Wish I had have bought the thumbhole laminate stock with would have fitted me much better and been easier / prettier to extend. 

hello, my 455 has the synthetic stock and i bought one of the better rubber slip on pads 

I have to say I’ve never given the trigger any thought; perhaps I’ve been shooting it that long now it’s ‘bedded’ if there is such a thing, but it’s never been an issue. 
I had a fabulous Ruger M77 in .22Mag’, and had to buy an after market trigger kit for that as the factory one was horrendous; had no idea when it was going to break! 

A relative of mine has a Ruger M77 Mk2 6mm PPC,i've put quite a lot of rounds through it,unbelievably accurate!,i'm not sure what trigger unit is on it but i know it's not standard,the rifle has had a fortune spent on it,a big dog fox unfortunately found itself on the receiving end of it just 2 nights ago,comeuppance for killing lambs!