It's a pity that there is no shooting.

JDog

On 14/04/2020 at 19:04, southeastpete said:

You are allowed to shoot to protect crops...

The British pest control association have confirmed that pest controllers have key worker status.

I had an email from my MP saying I could pest control shoot to protect crops. We had similar numbers on drilled wheat, typically I was working,  one guy got over 150 birds one day, talk about hot barrels. By the time I could get out a couple days later, most were gone, I got 6 in 3 hours. Always too late for the party. Cant wait to retire. 

Would not get chance to leave and let that amount of birds to keep building my way! Other shooters would soon be on it. Or the farmers and game boi's would be on it themselves if they thought there was a chance of a big easy bag and they could give there mates a good day. If farmers rang me to shoot  numbers like that and i said i had seen them but was leaving them to  build more, they wouldn't be happy!            NB                  

2 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

If farmers rang me to shoot  numbers like that and i said i had seen them but was leaving them to  build more, they wouldn't be happy!            NB                  

I believe it was a tongue in cheek statement from Mr JDog , he is normally happy taking on small numbers like that while waiting for the bigger flocks to appear :lol:

I am not shooting at the moment partly because of the lockdown and also that my local game dealer has stopped taking them as all the restaurants and bars they supply are closed.

My question is - at this time of year when most shooters expect to put a few more birds in the bag, what are you doing with them ? 
I don’t mean the one for the pot type days but 40-50+ days.

Hitman 

28 minutes ago, the hitman said:

I am not shooting at the moment partly because of the lockdown and also that my local game dealer has stopped taking them as all the restaurants and bars they supply are closed.

My question is - at this time of year when most shooters expect to put a few more birds in the bag, what are you doing with them ? 
I don’t mean the one for the pot type days but 40-50+ days.

Hitman 

for the first time ever friends and neighbours not only taking them but actually asking think queuing for shops caused it free meat and no que bargain! 

54 minutes ago, the hitman said:

In normal times I would just be coming to the end of a 3 week Easter holiday in which I would have expected to shoot 200-300 hundred pigeons- way too many to give to friends and neighbours.

you should get a outlet luckily my pigeon chap still takes my excess think his freezers must be getting full by now 

8 hours ago, clangerman said:

you should get a outlet luckily my pigeon chap still takes my excess think his freezers must be getting full by now 

Looks like you have the best of both Clangerman - a game dealer and neighbours asking for pigeons.

Has BASC issued any advice about shooting during the lockdown, as very few of us will be professional pest controllers and shooting is only our hobby rather than our living.

Hopefully after the next 3 week lockdown things might relax somewhat and May- June is normal a good time for shooting over peas.

Hitman 

9 hours ago, the hitman said:

In normal times I would just be coming to the end of a 3 week Easter holiday in which I would have expected to shoot 200-300 hundred pigeons- way too many to give to friends and neighbours.

are there no bird of prey centers near you mate,? They would gladly take them off you 👍