new puppy

Neilsmith

14 minutes ago, Neilsmith said:

Hi all,

getting an 8 week old Lab yellow lab bitch next Sunday, whats the best toy to give while teething, don't want a squeaky one just one that cant be chewed to bits.

Our puppies have always like these. They don't get sharp bits on like the nylabones do. They come in different sizes.

99_981384_1520938711_1d8a4c.jpg

I'd stay away from all that nylabone nonsence etc, some of them can be chewed into pieces and swallowed easily, especially but actice dogs like labs. 

I will only give things to chew actively when supervised, things like a rawhide (although some say they shouldn't be used) but normally a frozen chicken wing or drumstick keeps him busy for a few seconds. 

I found kongs quite good, one of the only toys he didn't chew and break... until he learned he could fling it out the back door and bouncing down the steps would knock all the food out of it. 

18 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I'd stay away from all that nylabone nonsence etc, some of them can be chewed into pieces and swallowed easily, especially but actice dogs like labs. 

I will only give things to chew actively when supervised, things like a rawhide (although some say they shouldn't be used) but normally a frozen chicken wing or drumstick keeps him busy for a few seconds. 

I found kongs quite good, one of the only toys he didn't chew and break... until he learned he could fling it out the back door and bouncing down the steps would knock all the food out of it. 

I might give the kongs a try, we havnt got any steps.ha ha.

Pigs ears 

I’ve had lots of pups over the years and they will have a favourite to chew don’t matter what you think they like it’ll be different 

plant pots to traffic cones sticks to fence panels 

plastic bottles all are better than the furniture 

hearing aids gear lever knob truck seat belts seats truck carpet glasses cartridge bags walking sticks are just a few of the things I’ve had destroyed 

best of luck 

On 12/04/2020 at 19:13, Lloyd90 said:

Grandkids bought one of them for my cocker a few years ago he soon found like yours if he threw it out the back door and it bounced on the steps and patio he just had to follow it and pick up the treats...

On 12/04/2020 at 20:42, Old farrier said:

I’ve had lots of pups over the years and they will have a favourite to chew don’t matter what you think they like it’ll be different 

plant pots to traffic cones sticks to fence panels 

This.   Mine found a woodscrew yesterday, fortunately I managed to extract it.

He also keeps tearing moss out of the ground, and although it's improving my lawn, I wish he'd stop it!

2 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

This.   Mine found a woodscrew yesterday, fortunately I managed to extract it.

He also keeps tearing moss out of the ground, and although it's improving my lawn, I wish he'd stop it!

There a nightmare at times usually find if they chewing the distraction Policey works better than telling them off