New shed

WalkedUp

I’m just designing my new workshop/shed and always interested to consider ideas at the outset. Based upon my search history YouTube suggested this video, don’t know why I watched the first episode but it is honestly the worst conception and execution of a project I’ve ever seen so became compulsive viewing. Thought I would share if anyone wants a laugh: 

If you look at many new buildings in the UK the quality of construction is atrocious. I work in the industry - occasionally as an expert witness when expensive thing have gone wrong - and I have 7 uncles who are all in the trades. I can honestly say the variance in quality across the construction sector in general and my family in particular is breathtaking. It must really boil your blood if you are a good skilled carpenter and some fools go around doing this and videoing themselves. 

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what a shower............put the hinges on the outside..............

Exactly! With PH2 heads... not really secure for a workshop. Also I’m not sure those strap hinges have enough clearance for the knuckle to throw with the feather board given they have been installed with the axis non vertical. 

*SPOILER ALERT*

From memory some of the other highlights... Seemingly never having enough wood to finish any job before starting the next thing. Lower bracing upside down from inner style to outer. No base or proper support under the lower frame. No DPC. The use of  I would hazard OSB2 for flooring and exposed. Screwed straight into end grain of small section timber taking the floor load. No painting the fence before it’s up. No preservative to the back walls before putting in. No eaves overhang. A cocktail stick for a ridge beam. Positioned the door to economise on cut offs (when two sides are hidden) which then snookers the entire long wall for decent storage. The feather board nailed under the overlap. No noggin support the the T&G roof board joints. Using the chop saw balanced between two chairs. Has enough money to buy a video camera and lighting but not enough for an impact driver or cordless drill. 

Edited by WalkedUp

I have been trying to build one of B&Q's Shed in a box. What an absolute nightmare the instructions...well to use the word vague would be an understatement. You have to put the frame up which with pointless instruction is no mean feat, its then you find out that each tube is numbered...well some are. And it has to go together using the correct numbered tubes, It says it should take an hour and half to fully assemble, ********!!!!!!!  Maybe possible if the instructions weren't written by someone who had lost interest 2 minutes after they started.

Frame assembled at last, read pointless instructions on how to get the side sheets and front on....blow your top when you read that you shouldn't have put the frame together securely because you need to take it apart to fix the side and front tarps, Have beer throw pointless instructions away and ****** wing it.

Anyone of you eggspurts able to recommend a good video on shed construction from a UK perspective? 

I need to build a storage shed, but it will be an awkward trapezoidal shape to make use of the otherwise useless patch of land behind the garage at my rental place.  It would also be on existing patio stones, what's the best way to do the floor?  Remove slabs at corners, cast some feet into the ground, and use cast in shoes to support the timber?

4 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Anyone of you eggspurts able to recommend a good video on shed construction from a UK perspective? 

I need to build a storage shed, but it will be an awkward trapezoidal shape to make use of the otherwise useless patch of land behind the garage at my rental place.  It would also be on existing patio stones, what's the best way to do the floor?  Remove slabs at corners, cast some feet into the ground, and use cast in shoes to support the timber?

Rental - are you the landlord or tenant How long do you want it to last? What is it to store? Ride on mowers etc are man enough for the floor to be left in, an enclosed shelter. If it is tools and timber then I would suggest a raised floor above any accumulation of surface water. 

If you have a hour to blow there is a hilarious thread on a guy building a shed.  If I remember correctly it was a guy who told his land lord he would pay extra for a shed.  So this Indian guy with zero experience builds a shed.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/1bo8hf/my_buddys_landlord_told_him_he_was_going_to_build/

KHPTfcB.jpg

A86IdUN.jpg

hNHj2WU.jpgKHPTfcB.jpg

17 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Rental - are you the landlord or tenant How long do you want it to last? What is it to store? Ride on mowers etc are man enough for the floor to be left in, an enclosed shelter. If it is tools and timber then I would suggest a raised floor above any accumulation of surface water. 

Could've been clearer, yes it's for me to store stuff for a while, as the tennant doesn't use that part of the garden.  I'm not planning on leaving my stuff there fore ever, and so I'd like it servicable for future tennants.  No ride-on mowers or anything else too heavy, not exactly needed.