Too long

Jacko3275

I have not gone this long without firing a shot getting withdrawal symptoms no clay shooting no pigeon decoying with NPPC at the minute and I stripped my air rifle for a service and the sear pin was bent so been waiting on a part for that . I guess most people are feeling the same about wanting to get out shooting again 

2 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

I have not gone this long without firing a shot getting withdrawal symptoms no clay shooting no pigeon decoying with NPPC at the minute and I stripped my air rifle for a service and the sear pin was bent so been waiting on a part for that . I guess most people are feeling the same about wanting to get out shooting again 

Just grateful we are still allowed out for exercise , beginning to get used to not taking my gun out and apart from some pigeons going on some short rape I haven't seen anything to get excited about , our Peas are all in and the fields are now rolled to conserve the moisture with no signs of Pigeons , hopefully the lock down should be over , or well on the way be fore the Peas get a couple of inches high , strange and troubled times .     STAY SAFE

27 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

How you feeling now jacko .? 

How did the lurgy treat you  ?

42 minutes ago, marsh man said:

hopefully the lock down should be over , or well on the way be fore the Peas get a couple of inches high ,

Lets hope so marsh man as that is when essential  crop protection realy comes onto play!

Short term i am happy just biding time and trying to support the missus who works as a nurse.

Just thankful we are all well so far. Pleased i have the dogs to walk daily though!

Edited by aga man

I have just my ten bore bismuth and about 150 steel to load, and i am finnished shotgun for this next season if it happens. I have just loaded 200 rounds for rifles with some  already loaded so just the 10s next and i am done .

I am going start then on  my next project is the .410 reloading. i made a RTO a year or so ago and have wad punches. I am going to work out a bio wad steel 3/8 oz load for decoying pigeons. No idea when i will get to pattern it. Be lucky if we get out by september at this rate.

Edited by lancer425

1 hour ago, Jacko3275 said:

Stripped down all 3 shotguns, refurbished one after taking it back to bare wood.

Stripped and rebuilt a pre 1968 Heanel 303 air rifle, bare wood and all new internal parts. Still waiting for last part to come. For what its cost to rebuild I could have bought a brand new 2020 model sub 12lbft and scope.

44 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Beginning to hurt here now … a 4 day weekend and not a clay powdered or crow bashed …

Looking forward to getting back to it … but recognise the depth of cack we're all in !

Same here, although it would seem the majority understand what is required.

14 hours ago, aga man said:

Lets hope so marsh man as that is when essential  crop protection realy comes onto play!

Short term i am happy just biding time and trying to support the missus who works as a nurse.

Just thankful we are all well so far. Pleased i have the dogs to walk daily though!

Morning Aga man .... Our drilling's went in this year without the slightest sign from both Rooks/ Crows or Pigeons that were likely to cause any problems , yesterday I walked to a block of three Pea fields that are about a mile from my house , the fields had been rolled and there were no signs of any bird life on either of the fields , I had to scrape the soil off with my foot to find out if Peas were in fact drilled and low and behold the very small Pea seed was a good three inches below the surface and well out of harms way.

I can't really remember when I last had a decent go on Pea drilling's but it would have been well over ten years ago , we don't get a problem neither when the Pea first break through the surface like we did in the past , going by the last few years I don't get that much shooting until they are at least 2/3 inches high and then you get some shooting from mid afternoon onward's.

I accept this is not the case for everybody as Muncher and his brother got a very big bag off drilled Peas before we went into lockdown , but that is how I have found it on the Spring drilling's , the only place where I could get a few at the moment is on some short rape , not big numbers but enough to keep you happy , so now I have got the paperwork to say my work is essential in safe guarding the crops this will be my first port of call once the lockdown restrictions have been lifted.

Hope you and your family STAY SAFE and on Thursday night I will give your good lady a extra clap from somebody who appreciate the fantastic work these N H S workers and all the other front line workers are doing , if ever a time when they are needed it is now , God bless them all .

6 hours ago, marsh man said:

I accept this is not the case for everybody as Muncher and his brother got a very big bag off drilled Peas before we went into lockdown

Could this be down to location in the country and easier food source being elsewhere? Why dig 3inch if something else is easy picking, we wouldn't so why would pigeon etc 

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Could this be down to location in the country and easier food source being elsewhere? Why dig 3inch if something else is easy picking, we wouldn't so why would pigeon etc 

Could well be right on all accounts , part of it could be the condition of the seed bed whilst being drilled , how precise the drill is and what else is being drilled at the same time , due to the ground conditions our marsh's are fairly heavy land and when drilled will normally produce a bit of shooting with the land being lumpy , whereas the uplands are a lot lighter and when drilled in perfect conditions you would have a job to find a single seed . 

39 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Could well be right on all accounts , part of it could be the condition of the seed bed whilst being drilled , how precise the drill is and what else is being drilled at the same time , due to the ground conditions our marsh's are fairly heavy land and when drilled will normally produce a bit of shooting with the land being lumpy , whereas the uplands are a lot lighter and when drilled in perfect conditions you would have a job to find a single seed . 

Evening marsh man , hope all is well with you , keeping safe , had a walk up the farm with the dogs today , drilling’s went in a number of fields late last week , spoke to owner and he hasn’t seen much in the way of pigeons on them , few getting on the rape but that’s pretty tall now so fairly safe , so luckily still no need to get out with a gun , getting itchy but hey keep doing the right thing !, they use a direct drill system and hardly anything is spilt or wasted so normally till they start popping their little sprouts above ground they are pretty safe ! ,in fact this farm hasn’t seen a plough in last eleven years ! 

Id say if a farmer is ringing people to come out and shoot on recent drillings they maybe want to have a look at what they might be doing wrong ? 

Stay safe folks 

24 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

Evening marsh man , hope all is well with you , keeping safe , had a walk up the farm with the dogs today , drilling’s went in a number of fields late last week , spoke to owner and he hasn’t seen much in the way of pigeons on them , few getting on the rape but that’s pretty tall now so fairly safe , so luckily still no need to get out with a gun , getting itchy but hey keep doing the right thing !, they use a direct drill system and hardly anything is spilt or wasted so normally till they start popping their little sprouts above ground they are pretty safe ! ,in fact this farm hasn’t seen a plough in last eleven years ! 

Id say if a farmer is ringing people to come out and shoot on recent drillings they maybe want to have a look at what they might be doing wrong ? 

Stay safe folks 

Evening Spurs , All is well , or as well as can be expected and hope everything is the same with you and your family in sunny Newmarket.

How ironic that a few weeks ago everything was on hold due to the wet conditions then a few weeks later they have had to start the irrigation up , what on , I don't know but I saw it going the other day .

We are the same , all the Spring barley is done and is already showing above ground , Peas were drilled last week so it will be 2 / 3 weeks before they get above ground , Beet is partly done and the spud machines are working hard today , we have some rape that is getting a few pigeons on but walking them off with my dog is enough to keep them off for a few hours .

All the best , and STAY SAFE   MM

Local farmer rang me to say he was worried about his beans, just drilled as our local rook population had decended on the field, would..could I have a look. I knew the field and it is impossible to shoot, houses down two sides and well used country roads down the other sides with heavy foot traffic at the moment.  I did have a look because if I coukld get a couple of dead crows I could hang them in the field which sometimes helps. However, I have not seen a crow on that field and can only suppose the local population saw the tilling going on and went onto the field hoping to find food but didn't, not a bean to be seen.  They are hitting some game cover(maize) on the other side of the village at the moment as it is still there as like all farmers they are too busy getting the important work done first.