lofting poles ??

misser

Hi...in need of picking the PW brainbox, the problem is that got one really good sitty tree along a hedge line and unfortunately its approx 45 ft tall and the pigeons usually sit right at the top..I've got the standard 30ft old lofting poles which leaves me quite a bit short....was wondering what the best way of getting the extra 15/16 ft lift is.....possibly purchase another set of poles., even though I only need approx 3 ...will they be manageable at this height or possibly an aluminium scaffold pole as a base as I can leave it permanently in position...any ideas or comments welcome...atb...misser

Edited by misser
spelling

What I have found best is to add another two or three poles to your existing set but to loft just two pigeons on a homemade wire spreader which is left in position. With that height you will struggle to use the standard 'hook' type lofters, hence just two permanently attached to the pole.

I find that a standard set of poles (5x5 foot) can be raised from horizontal to vertical and then resting on a branch, add the extra poles one at a time from the ground gradually pushing the whole lot up through the tree. This is then left in position.

As you say, the pigeons sit at the top of your sitty tree, therefore two lofters at maximum height are better than say five much lower down. The pigeons do not appear to take any notice of the 'in situ' pole, providing it's not shining too much in sunlight.

Hope this helps.

You will have plenty of time to obtain some extra poles and make a spreader during the current lockdown.

OB