nest boxes

woody walloper

I have around eight or ten dotted around my wood and here in the yard. I know two at least have occupants and both blue tits. Those two I can see from the cabins, the others are tucked out of sight away from the access roads and I only visit them in winter in case they need maintainance. They all get used for sure.

We have 3 sparrows think there last years young , they have taken over last years house Martins nest . What a mess they are making dried grass hanging out of it . Was watch one collect the dried grass  some bits about a foot long . Was fun watching them pull it out of the ground and try to fly with it .

Not seen a house Martin yet this year  , but they are ment to be in the area . Maybe they have seen what these young sparrow have been upto , and deside to go elsewhere  😀

The dogs have missed their clipping due to the lockdown so the wife has had a pass at them, put the fur out and the birds are absolutely loving it for their nests. Our trouble is the Magpies and the Rooks (ravens?? can never tell the difference) who are ripping the matting out the wall baskets at the front of the house - soil everywhere.

We only have one box up but it has blue tit's in there.

I plan to build a shed with a pent roof sloping from right to left going down - and then putting some holes on the high side with nest boxes on the inside. It's only 7*7 to replace an existing shed (has a very good base and I can't be bothered extending it for anything different)

I put 2 box's up years ago and no sign of anything at all in them. Ive had Robins nesting in some stacking bins with screws and all sorts in, he's moved house but cant find out where it is. Blackbirds in the hedge, with the odd Great Tit, and on the odd occasion a Sparrow hawk takes something out of the garden.

Have a bird box with a camera inside, fascinating watching the blue tits build their nest, put some mealworms in a small container in the garden, they love them but so do all the other birds and the resident Hedgehogs.

Seen my first young wood pigeon in the garden today, looks like its only been off the nest a few days.

We've had great tits in our single home-made nest box 4 years out of five,,, 2nd year nothing, other years good,,,, or great even 😊

Elsewhere on the property we've had,,,, other great tits, blue tits, blackbirds, starlings, chaffinch, goldfinch, wren, robin, dunnock, sky lark, wood pigeon, stock dove, pheasant, partridge, jackdaws and my favourite,,,, little owls, for three years on the trot 😁

All those in the trees and bushes etc on a 3 acre plot, so don't need nest boxes really 🙂

A tip for those with nest boxes without any residents. The hole size and box size/depth is all important 😉 Plenty of advice if you do an internet search 👍

Have a semi wild garden, plenty of ivy and creepers on walls roofs, fences and sheds. Blue and great tits in boxes. Woodies nesting in fir tree. First dunnock and wagtail nests got predated by jackdaws. Robins nest by window hatched out Monday and green finches nesting in privet hedge. A wren visits most days and expect gold and chaffinches to nest in budliea and apple tree like previous years when there's a bit more leaf cover. Unusually no blackbirds or sparrow this year. Blackbirds have not been doing well my way. Hear a song thrush morning and evening and have seen a mistle thrush gathering food, so nest nearby. Seen more swallows and martins this year. Heard and seen several whitethroats chiffchaff's and blackcap round the fields in past week. No nightingale yet. . . . .  Old walking boots/wellies etc make great alternatives to nest boxes. wedged or fixed in trees and shrubs. top can be left open or drawn to with laces to attract different birds. Had spotted flycatcher in an old DM the other year. If you have put fake woodcrete boxes up for house martins without success, make the entrance hole bigger so they can visit easy and build the entrance how they like it.  . . . One thing about lockdown we get to slow down and enjoy the nature in and around our gardens.    NB

Hummingbird hawk moths  in garden a while ago. Earliest i have ever seen them. Must be over wintering rather than migrants i guess? That why it good to keep part of your garden wild. They making most of dandelions. . . .Also pays to fix nest boxes out of full sun and entrance away from prevailing wind. No need to put perch on front as this only helps predators perch when attacking nests. Metal plates round holes will help deter squirrels and great spotted woodpeckers. Hole/box size not overly important as they nest in all sorts of natural holes and places. Tits nest in the old boots and wellies i put out. Blue tits over the road from mine nesting in top of a traffic sign post. I clean most boxes out after season. Others say don't bother.   NB

55 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Wouldn't have thought of that, cheers

No problem,,,, just for reference, a blue tit will require a hole of only 25mm,,,, great tit 28/30mm. Blackbird/Robin and similar usually prefer slotted letterbox type entrances 👍

3 minutes ago, Velocette said:

Just seen today a pair of nuthatches taking material into our nest box in the garden. Regularly see them on the peanut feeders and bird table but never before in the nest box !

Wow, that is unusual ! Usually quite a shy bird,,,, let us know how they get on 😉

If I can get the camera set up to see through the hawthorn branches, just coming into leaf, I'll try for some pictures. The birds themselves are quite bold round here and are a fairly regular sight, flying a little like a Kingfisher with fast wing beats and a slight dipping in flight.