nest boxes

woody walloper

20 minutes ago, Velocette said:

Just seen today a pair of nuthatches taking material into our nest box in the garden. Regularly see them on the peanut feeders and bird table but never before in the nest box !

That is a result,  we have them on the feeders in the garden, one of my favourite birds.

Just been standing at the kitchen sink washing up last nights crockery and noticed some movement in amongst the clematis about 10 feet from the window.

A pair of blue tits are stripping the old dead growth out and are building a nest in box No 1 right next to the window, never been used in 3 years since putting up.

The 2nd box has been used before and still nothing in No 3, yet!

Watching the pair, they may be new to this nestbuilding lark. They repeatedly attempt to take 6 and 8 inch pieces of dried grass in through an 1 1/4 hole!:rolleyes:

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Great to watch there antics aint it!😉 Keep us amused and a bit of cheer at this time.  Even the rooks in the rookery over the road from mine have been entertaining to watch carrying some big old twigs. Interesting how they use a mixture of green and dead twigs to build nests. hanging off some branches to brake them off.

Keep an eye out for turtle doves folks! They are back early! Been seen in Suffolk in last 2 days. Fortunate to have them visit my garden to feed up when they return most years. Big soft spot for them and english partridges.     NB

I put pigeon feathers out for them. Used to empty tumble dryer filter out for them to, but we have been told that's bad now. Have a box they use most years 3ft outside my office window. They also try and time there hatch with the emerging of the green caterpillars on the oak leaves.   NB

12 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

I put pigeon feathers out for them. Used to empty tumble dryer filter out for them to, but we have been told that's bad now. Have a box they use most years 3ft outside my office window. They also try and time there hatch with the emerging of the green caterpillars on the oak leaves.   NB

Yes they do, in previous years that must be 70 to 80% of their diet!

The larger birds in our area used to pick up the horse [now passed on 😞] hair for their nest lining. Also strip bits of twine tied to the fencing 😊 And the small birds take the dogs [3xESS] hair from the redundant peanut feeder,,,, it's great watching them tug it out, fly off and come back time and time again. All brilliant to watch 👍

• 1 month later...
On 15/04/2020 at 20:45, Mice! said:

That is a result,  we have them on the feeders in the garden, one of my favourite birds.

Quick update. Just been watching one of the adults feeding the brood at the nest box entrance. Noisy little things !!