Captain Tom

bigbird

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Who'd like to have a bet on next weeks number 1 ? 😊.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You'll Never Walk Alone by Michael Ball and Captain Tom Moore?

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

I suspect that may well be the correct answer 😊

I also think he will be no1 this coming Friday (24th) which (as stated on BBC this morning) means he will still be no1 in the charts on his 100th birthday (30th).

Excellent.

Where's Charlie and his dobbing sword?

Edited by Eyefor

I'm going to stick my neck out on this one. Bear with me and this is NOT connected to anything about his military career!

I don't think he should get knighted for this.

Here's my argument. His initial intention was to raise £1,000 and he would do that by walking 2.5km (100 lengths of a 25m strip). That is a really great gesture and well done him for doing his bit (no war references - just yet!). Then the media circus got hold of it and it went biblical, with donations coming in from all over the world - the average amount is still only £20 or so, so it's not bankrolled by big donations. The wow factor is more on the heads of those who donated, from all over the world, to help our NHS save lives, as Mel B3 hinted at. That's a global spirit coming together to help people they've never met or indeed heard of. 

He has done his bit and his small venture has got whipped up by a gleeful media. The result of the whipping up has been the outpouring of solidarity and inpouring of cash. But there are probably hundreds if not thousands of people (hopefully) doing just as difficult things (for them), with the same motivations who none of us will ever hear about, because they didn't get the media attention. Should they be knighted too? Moreover, there are people who've dedicated their lives to serving communities, often at serious financial, emotional and physical cost who might get an MBE - as in the case of Kolbassia Haoussou and Victoria Rodney (worth having a google, if you want). Is Captain Tom Moore's single act (unconnected to his war record - I'm getting there!) really worth three levels more on the scale of honours? I don't think so.

So combining the war record as well. Here's my issue. his 2.5km are a tiny drop in the ocean compared to standing up and fighting for your country and the freedom of millions of others. How can the two possibly compare? Here's a man who, in the prime of his life, took what skills he had as a civil engineer and used them to defeat one of the most evil forces the world has ever seen. That is an act so extraordinary, it demands recognition. That is why he should be knighted. But given that, shouldn't all vets by knighted, not just the ones who get a bit of media luck and are catapulted into the limelight? Yes. 

The problem is what we have is the court of public opinion once again ruling and that's how the honours system has got so horrendously brought into disrepute. I'm a big Alastair Cook fan. I feel privileged to have followed cricket in a time when he played. But a knighthood? Don't be daft. And yet he has one. As does Andy Murray. An insurance salesman and pretty ropy football manager got knighted for a 1966 world cup final hat-trick. Is Captain Moore more deserving of these guys? Undeniably. But I'm just not convinced his individual attempt to raise £1000 for 2.5km warrants a knighthood on its own, even if people gave £25million more than he asked for! If it's about recognising war veterans - particularly those remaining few from WW2 - then absolutely. 

Tin hat at the ready...

a modest guy     been there done that  gets my vote        and a veteran said I am very pleased with you            is a nice old saying my grandad used        as it was high praise   his generation didn't whinge  but made the best of what they had  mend and make do      I cant think of a way to thank him for his efforts in the spring of his life  or the efforts in his autumn  of his life   defiantly a tap on the shoulder with saber by  her mag is needed  anything less would be embarrassing                 the youth of today don't know they are born  in my opinion     x box lazy     order food on line       lazy    

Edited by Saltings

4 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

I'm going to stick my neck out on this one. Bear with me and this is NOT connected to anything about his military career!

Here's my argument. His initial intention was to raise £1,000 and he would do that by walking 2.5km (100 lengths of a 25m strip). That is a really great gesture and well done him for doing his bit (no war references - just yet!). Then the media circus got hold of it and it went biblical, with donations coming in from all over the world - the average amount is still only £20 or so, so it's not bankrolled by big donations. The wow factor is more on the heads of those who donated, from all over the world, to help our NHS save lives, as Mel B3 hinted at. That's a global spirit coming together to help people they've never met or indeed heard of. 

He has done his bit and his small venture has got whipped up by a gleeful media. The result of the whipping up has been the outpouring of solidarity and inpouring of cash. But there are probably hundreds if not thousands of people (hopefully) doing just as difficult things (for them), with the same motivations who none of us will ever hear about, because they didn't get the media attention. Should they be knighted too? Moreover, there are people who've dedicated their lives to serving communities, often at serious financial, emotional and physical cost who might get an MBE - as in the case of Kolbassia Haoussou and Victoria Rodney (worth having a google, if you want). Is Captain Tom Moore's single act (unconnected to his war record - I'm getting there!) really worth three levels more on the scale of honours? I don't think so.

So combining the war record as well. Here's my issue. his 2.5km are a tiny drop in the ocean compared to standing up and fighting for your country and the freedom of millions of others. How can the two possibly compare? Here's a man who, in the prime of his life, took what skills he had as a civil engineer and used them to defeat one of the most evil forces the world has ever seen. That is an act so extraordinary, it demands recognition. That is why he should be knighted. But given that, shouldn't all vets by knighted, not just the ones who get a bit of media luck and are catapulted into the limelight? Yes. 

The problem is what we have is the court of public opinion once again ruling and that's how the honours system has got so horrendously brought into disrepute. I'm a big Alastair Cook fan. I feel privileged to have followed cricket in a time when he played. But a knighthood? Don't be daft. And yet he has one. As does Andy Murray. An insurance salesman and pretty ropy football manager got knighted for a 1966 world cup final hat-trick. Is Captain Moore more deserving of these guys? Undeniably. But I'm just not convinced his individual attempt to raise £1000 for 2.5km warrants a knighthood on its own, even if people gave £25million more than he asked for! If it's about recognising war veterans - particularly those remaining few from WW2 - then absolutely. 

Tin hat at the ready...

Having seen a few of captain toms   interviews ,  I reckon that he'd probably agree with you , however , he is the figurehead,  or torch carrier , and I'm sure that he would be the first to say that he accepted a knighthood on behalf of all of those other worthy people that you mentioned.

As a country , and a whole world , we need people like captain Tom right now.👍.

7 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Tin hat at the ready...

No tin hat required as far as I am concerned. It started as a £100 bet between him and his daughter to get him to exercise following successful treatment for skin cancer and a new hip. That was upped to £1000 and then dedicated to the NHS. It was filmed and posted and then the 2 national news channels got wind of it, called him Captain instead of Mr Moore and it went viral.

I certainly doubt he was or is after a Knighthood, he comes across as a wonderful man and became the focus of peoples wishes to give something to the wonderful NHS Staff as they have battled through unprecedented times.

I am very glad he did it and I am very glad the total keeps growing.

He has been invited to open a Nightingale Hospital by video link and has been offered a Spitfire Flight by the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar in kent for his birthday at the end of the month.

The wonderful offer from his favourite singer Michael Ball, to create a single to raise funds is yet another inspired way of channeling money from people who wish to help.

Long may it remain at No1 in the charts.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
CAPITALISATION!

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No tin hat required as far as I am concerned. It started as a £100 bet between him and his daughter to get him to exercise following successful treatment for skin cancer and a new hip. That was upped to £1000 and then dedicated to the NHS. It was filmed and posted and then the 2 national news channels got wind of it, called him Captain instead of Mr Moore and it went viral.

I certainly doubt he was or is after a Knighthood, he comes across as a wonderful man and became the focus of peoples wishes to give something to the wonderful NHS Staff as they have battled through unprecedented times.

I am very glad he did it and I am very glad the total keeps growing.

He has been invited to open a Nightingale Hospital by video link and has been offered a Spitfire Flight by the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar in kent for his birthday at the end of the month.

The wonderful offer from his favourite singer Michael ball, to create a single to raise funds is yet another inspired way of channeling money from people who wish to help.

Long may it remain at No1 in the charts.

One time where I'm happy the media keeps spinning a story. The longer it stays in the press, the more cash will be generated. The spitfire flight is a beautiful touch. Let's hope he gets to enjoy it fully this summer for an end of lockdown celebration