MOT

dad

7 minutes ago, dad said:

6 month extentions were being allowed on MOTs

Just booked mine in for an MOT this Friday. I wasnt sure if my local garage was open or not. The owner tells me they are classed as essential workers and other than social distancing are working as normal.

1 hour ago, WestonSalop said:

Just because they say that, does that automatically make cars safe? I doubt it.

Your son will be able to tell you that an MOT is a once a year, mandatory inspection to check that your car meets a minimum standard of road worthiness, on the day of the test, and on that day only.

It does not mean the car is 'safe', whatever that means.

The onus is, always has been, and always will be, on you to ensure your car is roadworthy.  A valid MOT is best thought of as a check in the box to stop your insurance company refusing to pay up in the event of an accident, nothing more.

On 15/04/2020 at 13:40, udderlyoffroad said:

Your son will be able to tell you that an MOT is a once a year, mandatory inspection to check that your car meets a minimum standard of road worthiness, on the day of the test, and on that day only.

It does not mean the car is 'safe', whatever that means.

The onus is, always has been, and always will be, on you to ensure your car is roadworthy.  A valid MOT is best thought of as a check in the box to stop your insurance company refusing to pay up in the event of an accident, nothing more.

Quite agree. 

There are too many out there who ignore the advisories, or whatever they're now called, and assume the car's safe for 12 months. So now they assume the car's safe for an extra 6 months. 

My neighbour moaned about his exhaust falling off a week after his MOT but it was noted during the test. Six months later his wife braked hard in the wet and skidded into a parked car - partially seized caliper had been noted during MOT but he ignored the advice because "the car must be safe for another year because it passed the test"

I used to carry out Thorough Examinations - the equivalent to MOTs on fork trucks and plant and if a fault was found that did not require immediate rectification you gave a time scale for the repair to be completed.

HOPE THIS HELPS? BEEN THERE SEEN IT DONE IT. THIS:

Dear DVSA,

I am the owner and keeper of XXXX motor car XYZ 123. Its current MoT expires on 17 April 2020.

Please help. My vehicle's MoT runs out on 17 April 2020. As ever I submitted this three weeks beforehand. It failed on a number of points of which ALL have now been remedied. New rear tyres, new shock absorber and ball joints, new wipers and etc.

Please advise if by reason of this fail on 24 March 2020 if, or if not, its current MoT date of 17 April 2020 will be extended by six months under the Covid-19 concession on MoTs or not.

Put simply, does any vehicle that has an MoT was due on or after 30 March 2020, regardless if it was submitted to an MoT before that date (which it failed) still have that MoT extended for six months notwithstanding that fail?

Some motoring forums suggest or imply that by virtue of being responsible and having submitted it early to an MoT that I have in fact negated that concession of having the 17 April MoT extended by six months.

AND THE REPLY. AND, YES, IT WAS AS SAID GIVEN THE SIX MONTH EXTENSION.

Dear Mr XYZ

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 08 April 2020 concerning your MOT.

From 30 March 2020, MOT due dates for cars, motorcycles and light vans will be extended by 6 months. This is being done to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

You do not need to do anything to extend your vehicle’s MOT expiry date if it’s on or after 30 March 2020. 

However, you must keep your vehicle safe to drive so as long as the repairs from the previous failure have now been repaired this is acceptable.

Your vehicle will be automatically given a 6-month MOT exemption. 

This will extend your current MOT expiry date by 6 months. You will not get a paper exemption certificate.

You can check your MOT history to see when you have been issued an exemption.

Vehicles that have MOTs due from 30/3, will have their date moved 6 months forward – so tests due on 30th March 2020 will become due on 30th September 2020, and so forth. The government will keep this under review to manage the spread of COVID-19.

DVSA will start moving MOT expiry dates automatically in the MOT system from 30/3. This will initially be done in a few batches, so that after a few days they are working 7 days ahead.

If you have any further queries please contact us by email at enquiries@dvsa.gov.uk

SO MOT NOW UNTIL 17 OCTOBER 2020. WHICH BEING A CAUTIOUS TYPE I HAVE DONE A SCREEN PRINT OF TO KEEP SAFE.

Edited by enfieldspares

On 20/04/2020 at 21:26, bluesj said:

Check the mot status https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ . The government have extended them by 6 months to help slow the spread of covid19 so testing stations are not ment to be doing tests

There is no reason why a test cant be done, only if you or someone you live with is vulnerable. Nowhere on the Gov.UK website does it say MOTs cant be done.

People saying cars need to be roadworthy are correct. Extending an MOT doesn't make them unroadworthy though. My car after 18 months might well be more roadworthy than yours after 11 months. It's down to the owner to ensure he's not driving a deathtrap, every single day, not the MOT station once a year.

I'm not even sure where you'd stand if your MOT had been extended to October and you tried taking it in for an MOT in April. The earliest used to be 1 month before the old one expired. 

As said, why would you even want an MOT if in effect you'd be paying for 6 months instead of 12. 

• 2 weeks later...

local garage is quiet and  busy on mot  had my  52 plate truck done 1st apr    no dramas         mate got his booked in his bilingo next Tuesday  plenty of non dealer garages doing mots as considered essential  workers without main dealers  up selling or ripping your guts out for work not needed         in a few months  unscrupulous garages will rip your guts out to get 6mts for 12mts  mot  and you have no choice only to pay           my advice get the mot done by a local family run / independent business   and if genuine  carry on if in doubt     question the breakdown  know why you are paying £80 + labour  for  some product you can get on e bay for £15 inc delivered  or take it elsewhere the price drops            had a customer with a vehicle from new as an old deer customer done 7k in 3yrs failed  tyres/ brakes/ inc discs/ os wheel bearing / emissions egr valve  /tracking  /wipers  / new battery / pollen filter / oil change and oil filter / pollen filter / air filter / new exhaust  etc  despite being serviced by the same main dealer every year     I worked two streets away from main dealers watching the  tecs peeling the tyres off  inc my brothers merc  sent him the video to sort  I  went in with my customer 

he has lifetime warranty  now she has life time warranty  as well    any problems costs   the dealership  until the sale or death  will cover  all costs     brothers amg merc  30k a year all costs covered  while he owns it inc  new engine / gearbox / drive train  etc    or a court case   as video footage no case to answer