Traps for the garden

Farmboy91

I've currently got a bowman, couldn't tell you what model but it only chucks one at a time, which I always forget. Forever calling pull the second time and wondering why the missus hasn't sent the second clay up 😂

Anyone else got one? Half tempted to drag it out this afternoon as it's such a lovely day.

13 minutes ago, MrPhantom said:

I'm not jealous, much. You must have a big garden!  Think if i had the space I'd be looking at an auto Promatic trap for practice. Enjoy 👍

It's about an acre all together but with my perms either side and behind a few broken (missed) clays on the field isn't a big deal. 

I'd love one, I've seen one at the RFD's, not a promatic I don't think but an auto one and it's on offer at £400. Maybe I'll sell the car and buy enough to make an albeit small sporting lay out 😂

4 minutes ago, Westley said:

Contact Pro-matic they often have refurbs for sale. Fleabay always has a few BUT you could be buying someone's stolen trap  !

Thanks for the tip, I didn't realise the sold refurbished one's, I'll have to look into that when the lock down has passed. Yeah I'd be a bit weary of anything like that on eBay.

The clip is only big enough to fit one in, I'm trying to find something I can use to make another clip to sit on top of the existing one.

We had it out the other day and the missus done a few. The grass is quite long in some places so they don't always break when they hit the ground. She didn't like my reusable comment.... 😬😂

Just found this up the top farm. Needs a new seat and a lot of wd40 but... There's also some clays in the office. 

Lead me not into temptation, I know a shortcut. 😁

IMG_20200426_134132.jpg

Just needs an old tractor seat and a willing idiotic operator. Or perhaps I could set a handle up to nudge the arm over the release point, then I could stand at the side and use it. 

Edited by manthing

16 minutes ago, manthing said:

Just found this up the top farm. Needs a new seat and a lot of wd40 but... There's also some clays in the office. 

IMG_20200426_134132.jpg

Just needs an old tractor seat and a willing idiotic operator. Or perhaps I could set a handle up to nudge the arm over the release point, then I could stand at the side and use it. 

A treasure trove of lock down projects  there.

1 hour ago, manthing said:

IMG_20200426_134132.jpg

Ahh yours is far fancier than mine, I've just got a little pad to perch on 😂

19 hours ago, Joebrock said:

Get 2 different size clays, then put the smaller one inside the big one, should in theory separate as they come out of the trap

I struggle as it is to hit standard clays 😂

Might give that a go though when I can go out and get hold of a box 👍

We sell very basic ones (no seat) and for about 40 quid they are well worth it.

What's even more fun is using one of those and a plastic thrower/launcher too- just like the things you can use to throw dog balls.

Trap sends one in same direction every time and the thrower, well that depends on who's using it or if they are good then where you want it to go.

Well worth the £7 or £8 they cost.

Edd 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone using these mostly very old manual traps, can I ask that you use extreme care, especially if they have been stored for some time. When I first started clay shooting, most, if not all sporting shoots used manual traps. I too ran a shooting ground that used manual traps for the skeet and sporting. I have seen some truly horrific accidents involving manual traps and their use by inexperienced shooters and trappers. On one occasion it involved getting an 18 stone guy with a broken arm, down from the top of a shale slag heap. He had passed out with the shock and pain and took some getting down a very steep decline. Another incident involved someone have dental repair work for nearly 2 years and sixteen stitches in his mouth and cheek. Make sure whoever is on the trap has a flag to wave before coming from behind any 'traphouse' that you may be using. Always fire the trap off before leaving or moving it. I know it sounds basic, but try to imagine your future shooting career minus fingers or worse an eye. On most manual traps designed to throw a single clay, they have a tendency to shatter one or both clays if you attempt to throw 2 targets off a single arm. Sometimes it will work, but there is a higher risk of breakages. The problem being, is where the broken bits end up going. I was hit in the neck by a broken clay off a trap arm, whilst awaiting my turn to shoot on the next stand  !  Please do BE CAREFUL.

• 3 weeks later...