Going back 25ish years....garden plinking...

HDAV

So lockdown is forcing me to look for entertainment........

I have a circa 25 year old hw95 in .22 and half a tin of pellets I think.....

it’s not been used in god knows how many years....... 

I have a well fenced 20m long back garden and was going to put some sand in a plastic fence paint tin (got a few of those lying about now........) 

it will need zeroing and possibly stripping......

any tips? 

also still fancy a pistol really want a 586 umerax for some reason.....hw45 or a nemesis....(wanted one of these when I got the hw95.....) it was going to be venom tuned when venom had  gun room in a huge sports shop near Birmingham (gives you an idea of vintage )

There is a brick wall at the end of the garden 5 ft high and 8ft wide ish

limited on what else I can use as a back stop at the current time, I used to use a biscuit Tim with layers of old carpet it had a few dents in the back but nothing ever got out..............

my main concern is hitting the paint tub!

Edited by HDAV

3 hours ago, figgy said:

Get a tinbum drop in kit, comes with all the bits you need. He is still trading by posting twice a week.

Only thing you need to know is 25mm or 26mm piston. My HW95 is the 25mm version.

Erm I have no idea what that is or does.....got a link or a video? Would I need to strip it to find out the piston size?

which one? http://www.airrifletuning.com/product-category/tbt-tuning-kits/weihrauch-beeman/hw95-98-beeman-r9/

Edited by HDAV

Tinbum is one of many an airgun tuners that’s sells diy Tuning  kits, comprising of piston seal (ie 25 or 26mm depending age of gun) spring, top hat, spring guide, washers and grease. Highly regarded in the airgun community. The old HW77’s originally were 25mm but didn’t know the early 95’s were 25mm too. 

http://www.airrifletuning.com/

There’s also Welsh Willy. States on website that his kits work with both piston sizes

https://woodfield-gcp.co.uk/product/welsh-willy-weihrauch-spring-service-kits/

Edited by fitzy

You should get it chrono’d in case it is running over 12ft lbs although it shouldn’t. Power will likely increase a little as it all beds in so needs to be considered if already close to legal limit. Worth getting a price from Sandwell, expect their basic tune won’t cost much more than a diy kit and saves you the hassle if it isn’t the type of thing you enjoy doing. 

13 hours ago, fitzy said:

You should get it chrono’d in case it is running over 12ft lbs although it shouldn’t. Power will likely increase a little as it all beds in so needs to be considered if already close to legal limit. Worth getting a price from Sandwell, expect their basic tune won’t cost much more than a diy kit and saves you the hassle if it isn’t the type of thing you enjoy doing. 

Trouble is cost of shipping to Sandwell at the moment as I’m not likely to be passing for a while. Adds another £30+....might just set a target and have a go got it out for a clean and it looks like new..... think box is still in parents loft too 🤔 anyway to date these by serial number?

Edited by HDAV

Hmmmm so just set up for a bit of lunchtime plinking and at 10m put pellet on pellet using H&N field and target trophy pellets.....seemed to move over to the left an inch after 2/3 then pellet on Pellet so is the the scope moving? Or is that me.....going to move out to 15m and have another go then 20 at 25m max room I have is the limit for 12ft/lbs?

suppose I ought to order a tin of pellets are H&N still the perfect match for an HW95? 

any suugestions on a budget LH airgun that’s a decent/used purchase 

So a 586 arrived today 🤗 looks great waiting on some co2..... are there any gallery style knock down targets that are quiet? Might try and rig something in the shed as los places seem to be sold out.....😜

how much penetration do you get from a 586, I’m guessing a lot less than the hw95 I have? 

15 hours ago, HDAV said:

So a 586 arrived today 🤗 looks great waiting on some co2..... are there any gallery style knock down targets that are quiet? Might try and rig something in the shed as los places seem to be sold out.....😜

how much penetration do you get from a 586, I’m guessing a lot less than the hw95 I have? 

6ftlb max.

7 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Growbags. Cost a couple of quids from Morrisons (who are open and are presently selling them). Hang them vertically or horizontally and they'll do the job until you can sort out a more permanent backstop.

My shed isn’t a growbag kind of shed......🤔 

I have some sand and a card board box or 3......