Canada geese

shawn9914

My local fishing club has a huge issue with canada geese taking over 3 small ponds, there are so many of them the place is un fishable, is there any way of getting rid of these pests 

Can they be shot under the canada geese general licence (GL28), I have had a read of this licence but im not very good with taki g this stuff in and although i have read it i dont understand it, if they can be shot what time of year can this be done

Any genuine help would be very much appreciated so once we are out of lockdown something can be done 

12 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

it would be under public health and public safety 

I read that but how do you prove you are culling under this criteria, would the HUGE amount of bird c&@p all over the fishing platforms count towards this 

Edited by shawn9914

2 minutes ago, shawn9914 said:

I read that but how do you prove you are culling under this criteria, would the HUGE amount of bird c&@p all over the fishing platforms count towards this 

hello, i think its water contamination with fishing and the mess on golf club greens,

hello, maybe the fishing club could apply for a licence and put you down as pest control bailiff 

10 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, maybe the fishing club could apply for a licence and put you down as pest control bailiff 

Do you have to apply for a GL28 general licence then as this was one bit i didnt understand, its not like the general licence for pigeons and crows then 

Shaun

The way to go is at the moment under the  GL you do not have to apply for a license to destroy the geese provided the owner of the pond or the person(s) who holds the sporting rights give you or any person or person(s) the written right to do so. They  are wildfowl and can not be sold but can be eaten they can be pests so are on the general license the landowner or in your case the pond and pond side field  owner if it is the club  can give you permission if public health is at risk or damage done to joining farm crops  pond  life is debated in many other quarters .but public health is not    it is a fact. Geese c++p is health risk  due to  geese fly all over flying to other  climates and countries  so we do not know where they have been hence you cannot sell then for public health issues. Funny though you can eat them yourself ..family sunday roast. Christmas dinner. Yes if you are given the right to do so by the owner or club officials you can if they agree they cause danger to public health the trent area is full of them around the river they follow it to the bird reserves along there..be sure you are not near one of them bird watchers may report you..check also with local bye laws make sure you have the right to shoot under the GL  some local bye laws forbid shooting in certain areas etc check them before you do.. I  have shot in the north east in july with friends for a  council as they c++ped all over a public park area so they can be shot as vermin pests to crops and public health issues as said danger  to pond life ??? Debatable  .good luck but check 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/canada-geese-licence-to-kill-or-take-them-for-public-health-and-safety-gl28

5 minutes ago, shawn9914 said:

@clay shooter thank you very much for such a detailed explanation i really appreciste it

One other thing is does the GL28 licence forbid shooting geese after 31st July

Correct, the GL appears to expire on that date.  

Canada Geese are not classed as Pest's or Vermin. They are Waterfowl which may be controlled out of season under GL28. Using a shotgun to control Canada Geese Non Toxic Shot must be used and the shotgun must not be capable of holding no more than 2 Cartridges in the magazine and 1 Cartridge in the chamber.

14 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Canada Geese are not classed as Pest's or Vermin. They are Waterfowl which may be controlled out of season under GL28. Using a shotgun to control Canada Geese Non Toxic Shot must be used and the shotgun must not be capable of holding no more than 2 Cartridges in the magazine and 1 Cartridge in the chamber.

So does that mean they can be controlled all year or only up to 31st July by the means you mention in your post 

22 minutes ago, shawn9914 said:

So does that mean they can be controlled all year or only up to 31st July by the means you mention in your post 

Disturb them they move on job done. No need to fire a single shot. Keeping them in the area is our problem not moving them on. 

8 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Disturb them they move on job done. No need to fire a single shot. Keeping them in the area is our problem not moving them on. 

They will not be disturbed they are almost tame, they come so close you can almost grab them, we need to do something as they have taken over the pools i cant believe how many have come this year its crazy 

1 hour ago, shawn9914 said:

They will not be disturbed they are almost tame, they come so close you can almost grab them, we need to do something as they have taken over the pools i cant believe how many have come this year its crazy 

get them off and dont let them back in to roost. they wont come back. They wont put up with that for long.

Just now, shawn9914 said:

How can we stop them, they fly in land in the pond and sleep on the islands we cant get too 

get a boat, you have to get them off, dont let them come back in. Stay until pitch black. Nothing will put up with that, check for any nests on that island. You will clear them off.

37 minutes ago, shawn9914 said:

How can we stop them, they fly in land in the pond and sleep on the islands we cant get too 

Don't know now as we are advised not to go out. But under normal conditions I'd rocket them as they come in scare the living daylights out of them. Also make the islands not so attractive for them and don't let them start nesting

When i was doing a serious amount of Carp fishing i managed to move plenty on by constant harassment using a Marker rod with just a 3oz lead cast at them worked as did sending a trained Dog after them it's hard and constant work but they will/do get the message. 

16 hours ago, arjimlad said:

NO you can until that date july 31 ..this will change for the trial license period in june (july was written to allow for the consultation talks ) defra  decided to do with all parties when wild justice emerged to stop shooting defra made july 31st as a stop gap date but during talks it agreed on june and all parties agreed .to  keep them  the  same but defra add 3 new parts as stated ..... so june will see a trial of all the GLs until january 2021 then become law if they work to all parties liking ... So  xmas day....you can stuff and  eat  one...put roast spuds carrot peas and if in yorkshire.  Yorkshire puddings on the plate  a Glass of red  ..and xmas pud after.. Mmmmm now thats worth waiting in a wet bog hole till  a skeen comes by ...then shout packham  and  boom and a well placed  STEEL shot taken eh? Dont forget to...... pick the empty case up..please.

Edited by clay shooter

15 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Canada as well as greylag can be also classed as vermin under some council local authority bye laws agreed if you were a twitcher as is packham then they are both       as are duck......waterfowl..local council bye laws may decide on the following (as they have done here by the way)...shooting removal  of eggs.... destruction of nests .. or as we do give em  here a No BB shot well placed. It is  the into the chiller with the game a semi auto can be used or even a single barrell. I also have shot canada with my 16 and 12 bore shotguns and feeding on waste maise with my old 247 rifle.

Edited by clay shooter

7 hours ago, clay shooter said:

NO you can until that date july 31 ..this will change for the trial license period in june (july was written to allow for the consultation talks ) defra  decided to do with all parties when wild justice emerged to stop shooting defra made july 31st as a stop gap date but during talks it agreed on june and all parties agreed .to  keep them  the  same but defra add 3 new parts as stated ..... so june will see a trial of all the GLs until january 2021 then become law if they work to all parties liking ... So  xmas day....you can stuff and  eat  one...put roast spuds carrot peas and if in yorkshire.  Yorkshire puddings on the plate  a Glass of red  ..and xmas pud after.. Mmmmm now thats worth waiting in a wet bog hole till  a skeen comes by ...then shout packham  and  boom and a well placed  STEEL shot taken eh? Dont forget to...... pick the empty case up..please.

Good news, love it. 

I've really enjoyed the canadas we've eaten as long as we haven't tried roasting them. Tagine is especially delicious. Tried to collect the wad as well as the case, on a 3.5" steel load it's rather large. 

8 hours ago, clay shooter said:

NO you can until that date july 31 ..this will change for the trial license period in june (july was written to allow for the consultation talks ) defra  decided to do with all parties when wild justice emerged to stop shooting defra made july 31st as a stop gap date but during talks it agreed on june and all parties agreed .to  keep them  the  same but defra add 3 new parts as stated ..... so june will see a trial of all the GLs until january 2021 then become law if they work to all parties liking ... So  xmas day....you can stuff and  eat  one...put roast spuds carrot peas and if in yorkshire.  Yorkshire puddings on the plate  a Glass of red  ..and xmas pud after.. Mmmmm now thats worth waiting in a wet bog hole till  a skeen comes by ...then shout Packham and boom... and a well placed  STEEL shot taken eh? Dont forget to...... pick the empty case up..please.

There’s an idea for everyone obsessed with Packham, Avery, Wild Justice et al. 

10 hours ago, clay shooter said:

Canada as well as greylag can be also classed as vermin under some council local authority bye laws agreed if you were a twitcher as is packham then they are both       as are duck......waterfowl..local council bye laws may decide on the following (as they have done here by the way)...shooting removal  of eggs.... destruction of nests .. or as we do give em  here a No BB shot well placed. It is  the into the chiller with the game a semi auto can be used or even a single barrell. I also have shot canada with my 16 and 12 bore shotguns and feeding on waste maise with my old 247 rifle.

Thanks but I'm fully aware of the rules laws and regulations regarding Geese as I've had various Licenses for nigh on 50yrs including shooting protected species of Geese

21 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Thanks but I'm fully aware of the rules laws and regulations regarding Geese as I've had various Licenses for nigh on 50yrs including shooting protected species of Geese

And as such like many of us will know we never get to use lethal force, because the Canadas respond brilliantly to several doses of section 8.a. and move on, never getting near d or E.1.11.111etc.

Jest scare them off job done.

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

And as such like many of us will know we never get to use lethal force, because the Canadas respond brilliantly to several doses of section 8.a. and move on, never getting near d or E.1.11.111etc.

Jest scare them off job done.

Only time I've ever had to shoot Canada or Greylag Geese is from 1st September to February 20th even though I've had various Licenses it's normally non lethal methods and hard work that gets results. To many in my honest opinion take the easy option and blast away