Help please - removing sandtex masonry paint

Big Al

The long and the short of it is this. We have a smooth concrete render on the outside of our house. We were going to paint it so I started. I was stopped after I'd done a sizeable patch as her indoors didn't like it. Now I can't get the stuff off. Tried pressure washer, abrasive wheel and blowtorch.  I'm now going for the chemical paint stripper option but am unsure which product I should be using.  Could any of you kind souls point me in the right direction?

Thanks. 

Perhaps a silly question but what is it she doesn't like? Cant you paint over it? 

Removing it will be ridiculously hard work, probably have to use some form of chemical or blast it off with a sand blaster or something. Painted my house with it many years ago and it's going strong without a hint of flaking or fading. 

7 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Perhaps a silly question but what is it she doesn't like? Cant you paint over it? 

Removing it will be ridiculously hard work, probably have to use some form of chemical or blast it off with a sand blaster or something. Painted my house with it many years ago and it's going strong without a hint of flaking or fading. 

She doesn't want it painted. Simple as that. Just wants to leave the plain render.

7 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Sorry, edited post 👍

Still not seeing a link mate. 

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Shame she didn't stop you earlier, good luck with getting that stuff off, it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket!

Do you think chemicals will be  no use then? Maybe I should look into local sandblasting services.

You can buy pickling agents from a trade centre, but I’m not too sure how effective they are nowadays, and as there are no solvents in Sandtex they may not work anyhow. Most of my trade centres are closed now so have a good scout online especially for water based formulas. 
Just read your last post; yeah, sandblasting should work without causing too much damage if done carefully. 

Edited by Scully

Big Al, do you have a wire brush? Give it a go somewhere out of main view and if it comes off with some effort the sand blasting option may be your way forward.

Now you know the stuff adheres well to your render would the lady possibly choose a better colour so you could complete the job?

Good luck

TOBERMORY.jpg

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Hi

Interesting post and replies - not derailing i hope but 'associated' -

I have been meaning to Sandtex the rendered outside of the Man-cave, and with 'lock-down' much time to hand...........

However, before I start with the (reading above) dreaded Sandtex, what alternatives would be recommended to it? Simple render, several years old, but needing minor repairs along some sections of bell cast .........

L

Sorry to say, but whatever you do to clean it off will leave a patch/mark on the surface. Once you start rubbing, scrubbing, brushing, jet washing etc the surface will be compromised.

I can only suggest that you try to contact Sandtex technical support [if they are still working] and ask them for a solution....

Or,,,, choose a stone colour paint [closest match to the original render] and continue painting. 

4 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

Wouldn't the bare plaster/render be vulnerable to getting wet/blowing more quickly than something with a protective paint overcoat ? 

Cement in itself is waterproof. Once added to sand in quite a high ratio, then rendered onto a wall in the correct way, this then creates a waterproof layer, which should last decades.

I've removed solid, unpainted, unaffected render that was applied over 80 years ago. Painting render is really only cosmetic, and creates years of continuous maintenance 😏

32 minutes ago, JKD said:

Cement in itself is waterproof. Once added to sand in quite a high ratio, then rendered onto a wall in the correct way, this then creates a waterproof layer, which should last decades.

I've removed solid, unpainted, unaffected render that was applied over 80 years ago. Painting render is really only cosmetic, and creates years of continuous maintenance 😏

This. Even as a painter I often ask clients if they’re sure, cos as above, once you paint something it’s always to repaint at some time. 

Thanks for all the replies. No easy answer.

2 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Sorry, try this: -
https://www.screwfix.com/p/non-woven-preparation-wheel-115mm/83915?_requestid=101335

If link still not showing, it is Screwfix item no.83915

Thanks moondoggy. Unfortunately I have already that but no joy. Thanks for the link.

1 hour ago, derbyduck said:

have you tried Brick Acid ?  I know Sandtex was made by  the Blue Circle  co. so could be lime based and if so acid could help !

Would brick acid not also destroy the render?

46 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

Wouldn't the bare plaster/render be vulnerable to getting wet/blowing more quickly than something with a protective paint overcoat ? 

The house is 20 years old and the render provides a good strong waterproof layer.

It looks like I'm either painting the whole house, or chipping off the render to get it re-rendered. 

1 minute ago, arjimlad said:

Good to know - every day is a  school day !

Got some cracking render on my gaff which I have raked out & filled. I'm now getting reminded to sand it smooth and paint the filling. 

If I was to external render now, I would choose the ready coloured types, [like Krend] which are available in many colours,,,, little or no maintenance 🙂

5 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Thanks for all the replies. No easy answer.

Thanks moondoggy. Unfortunately I have already that but no joy. Thanks for the link.

Would brick acid not also destroy the render?

The house is 20 years old and the render provides a good strong waterproof layer.

It looks like I'm either painting the whole house, or chipping off the render to get it re-rendered. 

There is a third choice but you may not feel like divorcing your wife during these difficult times.

Edited by JDog