Help please - removing sandtex masonry paint

Big Al

1 hour ago, Scully said:

This. Even as a painter I often ask clients if they’re sure, cos as above, once you paint something it’s always to repaint at some time. 

Had the back of the house done last year it reflects the heat from the sun away and it looks good it lasts quite a few years 

3 hours ago, The Heron said:

Had the back of the house done last year it reflects the heat from the sun away and it looks good it lasts quite a few years 

Quite. I’m not disagreeing paint looks good, and can protect as well as lasting several years if the prep’ work is carried out correctly, but once it’s done there will come a time when it’s to do again. 

16 hours ago, Big Al said:

The long and the short of it is this. We have a smooth concrete render on the outside of our house. We were going to paint it so I started. I was stopped after I'd done a sizeable patch as her indoors didn't like it. Now I can't get the stuff off. Tried pressure washer, abrasive wheel and blowtorch.  I'm now going for the chemical paint stripper option but am unsure which product I should be using.  Could any of you kind souls point me in the right direction?

Thanks. 

How much have you done? What colour? Pic?  What don't she like about it? The colour or texture of finish? Some folk get put off by colour change to begin with. Did you use smooth or textured Sandtex? Did you thin it before application? Either way  it will of penetrated into the render enough  that if you use abrasion to try and remove it now it is dry you risk damaging render so it will show, as will trying to use other methods. Finish whole wall or bottom half only to match colour of render if she dislikes it that much. Bet it would grow on her. . . . . Either that or do a Banksy and make a feature of it.😉        NB            

3 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I will be pricing shot blasting and re-rendering. Then I'll be setting the prices down on the table alongside the price of paint. Then she can choose.

A bit of a mess. Thanks for all the advice.

And a short course on Make your mind up woman?

6 hours ago, Big Al said:

Thanks for all the replies. No easy answer.

Thanks moondoggy. Unfortunately I have already that but no joy. Thanks for the link.

Would brick acid not also destroy the render?

The house is 20 years old and the render provides a good strong waterproof layer.

It looks like I'm either painting the whole house, or chipping off the render to get it re-rendered. 

Al thinking about it , it was snowsem that was made by blue circle  ! sorry and it may damage the render .

37 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Have you thought about mixing up some cement and a bit of sand and making a cement wash that may cover it up 😊

That might be worth a try! I'll try that first. Thanks old Farrier.

I'll have to wait until my local merchant reopens to get cement though.....

Edited by Big Al

29 minutes ago, Rob525 said:

Thanks for that, might as well finish it now! I was expecting orange or something the way you was talking. What do YOU think about the colour?

I don't like it either, to be honest. I'd prefer cream or something like that.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Good delay tactics 

her ladyship may change her mind again 🤔

Lol. Then again , .........

I had the complete reverse to your problem Big Al , I wanted mine to stay on the wall but in the end I had to wash it off .

I Santexed the front of my previous house one Saturday , or I should have said I started to paint it , the sky had some threatening dark clouds but I was convinced it would stay dry till long after I had it finished , this was not the case and after I had painted a fair bit off the ladder the heavens opened up and it chucked it down , after ten minutes or so i came back out to see it running down my wall and a mixture of water and paint going over the pavement and flowing down the road towards the drain , so the next port of call was to get the garden hose out and go up the ladder and wash the rest off , after a while my wall was back to before I started , my front garden was washed out and the road was also washed down , gave it up as a bad job and waited till the weather was more reliable .

If your rendering is fairly porous you will up against it as it will soak in and I would have thought you will do more harm than good by trying to remove it , why don't you impress you good lady by turning it into a rainbow and paint a nice neat  N H S underneath , think of all the brownie points you will get when the new fowling season arrive :good:

I had this problem with the first wife she insisted that I painted the dining room with a colour called bamboo in the the tin it looked the colour of yellow dog mess but no matter what I said she insisted on having the room painted with it, well when it was finished she said we will (notice we) will have to paint it another colour @#%%@*% says l and that's how it stayed for the ten years before we were divorced as far as I know it's still on. 😂