Mini cannons

strimmer_13

Anybody else play with these as a kid? Just got mine out as I was bored of the gamo 15870530827885459292235922008301.jpg.d9a069d87fdd8a863c7f14e707e4454d.jpg

Just making special rounds for it, grandad Stan had a polystyrene ceiling and we'd lie on our backs on the carpet and try and shoot the flys on the ceiling with our special matches 

Needles sellotaped onto matches 

Yes I'm that bored 

15870532317786674617594318508795.jpg

Edited by strimmer_13

12 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Here is a detecting find , these go as far back as the 1700s  , dont think they will pass the H&S now 

20200328_111920.jpg

hello, i was just going to say ask john if he found one and up pops a post, i found 1 to but not as good as that , well done

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i was just going to say ask john if he found one and up pops a post, i found one to but not as good as that one, well done

Every male dectorist goal is to find one . I dectect around home on the farm.  But there was a row of old derelict  cottage,  so had ago around them , and up it popped  . I was over the moon . I have never been brave enough to try it though 😀

7 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Every male dectorist goal is to find one . I dectect around home on the farm.  But there was a row of old derelict  cottage,  so had ago around them , and up it popped  . I was over the moon . I have never been brave enough to try it though 😀

hello, well i never i found mine just the same, 4 old cottages on the side of a wood each with a very long front garden for pigs/sheep/chickens, and their own well, lots of crotal bells, one big beauty about 2 inch diameter, built around the 1800s, in a near by field was a big workshop, and couple of fields down old blacksmith cottage and found loads of horse shoes

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I played with a Britain's one yes. And later I played with a real one too. I did the last ever "Introduction to Artillery" Course at Larkhill that was done with the 25 Pounder. On the day that we did field firing we were told "Gentlemen this is the last ever course to be done with the 25 Pounder so you guys are going have to fire off seventy-six rounds between the twelve of you." So we did each position on the gun with six rounds in each position as we swapped around. The usual was one round in each position or some such.

Edited by enfieldspares

Ive been reading up, the 'toys' used to fire upto .32 calibre. 

12 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Could you not ram a few red match heads down there? 

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Anybody else play with these as a kid? Just got mine out as I was bored of the gamo 15870530827885459292235922008301.jpg.d9a069d87fdd8a863c7f14e707e4454d.jpg

Just making special rounds for it, grandad Stan had a polystyrene ceiling and we'd lie on our backs on the carpet and try and shoot the flys on the ceiling with our special matches 

Yes I'm that bored 

15870532317786674617594318508795.jpg

Ha! I have one of those, plus a couple of others by different makers! 

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

This was the old row of cottages,  very overgrown now , bet  they could tell some tales . Love munching around them . Heck we never realy grow up .😀

Screenshot_20190706-213942_Photo & Picture Resizer.jpg

What's the saying,  we don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. 

If my kids don't go straight up a fun looking tree then I have to lead the way 😁

2 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Yes I'm that bored 

I remember them, were they Dinky ? brilliant for playing army with the 00 gauge soldiers.