Gun fit

getthegat

,.I'm sure this has been done to death, but in this months Sporting Shooter, it was put forward that one should see the rib of the gun going away from you "like a gradual ski jump". My semi auto fits so that all I see is the bead, apparently this is where the fit is "flat" and as i tend to have the bird in view, so possibly a little above the line of sight, I figure I'm shooting low. If I were to still shoot this way, ie bird in sight, but add a little height to the comb, so that I see a bit of rib, therefore lifting the point of aim slightly,  does this seem feasible? My outings can be a bit erratic, some days not bad others pretty poor  and the trouble with the poor days is I don't know what is wrong. Any help very much appreciated.  Hope you are all keeping safe and staying sane.

i found the sweet spot for me (checked on the pattern plate) was that i could see half of the muzzle, imagined as a clock face with the bead at 12, i can see from 9 to 3. works well on my semi auto and my o/u although i did have to raise the come on the u/o to achieve it 

I found the 'sweet spot' years ago.......................................having a breakfast in the clubhouse   !   😄

Dependent on the make, your auto may have shims that enable you to raise or lower the drop at the heel.

Edited by Westley

If all you see is the bead then you’re in all kinds of trouble. 

Modern thinking (quite rightly) says you ought to set things up so that you see some rib, the amount depends on all manner of things and if you’re not experienced enough to dial it in correctly yourself it makes perfect sense to employ the services of a proper coach. 

46 minutes ago, Hamster said:

If all you see is the bead then you’re in all kinds of trouble. 

Not sure I agree with that totally. Some degree of rib is preferable in my opinion, but much depends on how you shoot. I have a couple of guns which give me a very flat sight plane when mounted, but because I know where they print it’s not a problem. Crossing birds for example are simply blotted out and speed of swing takes care of lead.

On the trap guns I own I see loads of rib, but again, because I know where they print, it’s also not a problem. With these, crossing birds are in view at all times, but speed of swing still takes care of lead. 
It’s just a case of getting use to a particular gun in my opinion, and I’ve even set up a flat shooting sporter with an adjustable comb to give me the same sight plane I see with a trap gun.
Those who shoot just one gun, are usually pretty consistent shots ( given everything else is correct, mount, footwork etc ) because they have thoroughly become familiar with a particular gun. 
Consistency of mount is more crucial in my opinion, than ones view down the rib. 

46 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Had a run in with Ruffer in the early 80's . Tried to to tell me that by not cleaning the black of the flats of a shotgun barrel would stop it closing properly .  Other family members were just as bad .

hello, oh that was understandable gun man, little knowledge of shotguns, but the book still helped my shooting back in the 1970s 

2 hours ago, Gunman said:

Had a run in with Ruffer in the early 80's . Tried to to tell me that by not cleaning the black of the flats of a shotgun barrel would stop it closing properly .  Other family members were just as bad .

His work was such that the need to clean everything was ingrained. :innocent:

But is that the black OFF the flats or the BACK of the flats?

21 hours ago, wymberley said:

His work was such that the need to clean everything was ingrained.

But is that the black OFF the flats or the BACK of the flats?

We re blacked a set of barrels for him on a Spanish sidelock that was in my opinion bought in the white as it had never been hardened . After blacking  I polished the lumps  and face, lapped the bores  as normal , however  I did not clean the black off the barrel flats as it is  cosmetic and the flats were well blacked . Ruffer complained that this would hold the barrels off face and the gun would not close correctly .  I told him that there has to be a clearance gap between the barrel and action flats , which  he disputed ,  and that the black would make no difference at all and was a matter of preference and would  polish the flats if it made him happy .