One for the Ornithologists

Doc Holliday

We have a pair of Robins nesting in our garden. It's only taken about 8 years or so but we are super chuffed. But we are also a bit mystified. Since seeing them last week building the nest, which is outside the shed window, I have put up some black weed suppressing fabric to cover about 2/3 of the windows so they don't get spooked or frightened off if they see us in the shed. Mrs H said yesterday that Mrs Robin hadn't been on the nest all day but I had a look this morning and she was definitely on it. There are even some eggs (can see 2 but I think there are more, possibly 4). So the mystery is that she is on the nest in the morning then by mid morning latest she has disappeared not to be seen again until the next morning. My concern is that the eggs have been left to get cold and she won't have any young. Is this usual behaviour because she may be inexperienced? Not sure what to make of it to be honest so any help greatly appreciated. 

20200416_085404.jpg

20200416_070822.jpg

Same as mentioned above 👍

No need to be secretive either really,,,, just carry on doing things normally, and don't pay too much attention to the nest. They wouldn't be nesting there if it wasn't safe. Also, when the eggs have hatched, start doing some gardening that involves uncovering [small] worms and other insects/invertebrates. Robins love leather-jackets,,,, usually found just beneath any turf 😉

Would be nice to see pictures as things progress 🙂

14 minutes ago, B725 said:

We had a robin start building it's nest in the car port,but half way through building we've not seen hide nor hair of it haven't got a clue why it stopped.

Unfortunately they are sensitive to disturbance when nest building, (the female builds the nest), and can easily desert the nest, if it thinks it has been discovered,

5 minutes ago, B725 said:

That's a shame but it is above the door and we use it regularly, me and the dog have been watching it on the front garden picking up bits.

Has it definitely deserted, or is it laying eggs (one a day), she will not start to incubate until the clutch is complete, so would not be seen around the nest for probably a week, only visiting the nest to lay an egg (early AM probably).

48 minutes ago, B725 said:

I haven't looked, I will take a peek.

Nothing in it 

20200416_194416_copy_1512x2016.jpg

That's a real shame 😞 TBH it looks like it's been got at by something 🙄 Keep a look out though, most birds will try again near by 👍

1 hour ago, B725 said:

We had a robin start building it's nest in the car port,but half way through building we've not seen hide nor hair of it haven't got a clue why it stopped.

We had the same thing happen last year. Stopped building part way through. We think a cat may have found/disturbed them as it is in pretty much the same position as last year, just a bit more out in the open.

Thanks for replies guys. I just couldn't understand why she was on the nest in the morning and then nothing all day. I shall put up photos as things progress. I have also been looking at buying fresh meal worms online as fishing tackle shops are shut. Can anyone recommend a supplier? I did put fresh maggots out last year during nesting time and all the birds went mental over them. I'm sure there used to be a bait vending near Cobtree Museum of Kent Life but that was some years back and can't find any reference to it but my guess is that it won't be in operation during the lockdown. 

I've found most birds love mealworms, in fact they gorge on them 😯 We get dried ones and re-hydrate them before putting them on and around the feed-station. Some birds will take them off the feeding board,,,, some will only take them on the ground. Pets at home is our go to place, or even B & Ms do them I think. Don't know about live mealworms, sorry can't help with that.

3 hours ago, JKD said:

I've found most birds love mealworms, in fact they gorge on them 😯 We get dried ones and re-hydrate them before putting them on and around the feed-station. Some birds will take them off the feeding board,,,, some will only take them on the ground. Pets at home is our go to place, or even B & Ms do them I think. Don't know about live mealworms, sorry can't help with that.

Do you always hydrate mealworms as I have been putting them out as they are from the packet ? 

6 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

Do you always hydrate mealworms as I have been putting them out as they are from the packet ? 

I just grab a big handful and chuck them in an old measuring jug,,,, cover with cold water and leave for 10/15mins,,,, then pour them into an old pot or dish on the feed station, and then chuck a few on the ground for the shyer birds. They definitely prefer them moistened. Also chuck a few dry ones around just for some variation. It's amazing how quick they go once the adults are feeding their young 😯 🙂 Blackbirds like them lots,,,, starlings even more so 😋

11 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

We had the same thing happen last year. Stopped building part way through. We think a cat may have found/disturbed them as it is in pretty much the same position as last year, just a bit more out in the open.

Thanks for replies guys. I just couldn't understand why she was on the nest in the morning and then nothing all day. I shall put up photos as things progress. I have also been looking at buying fresh meal worms online as fishing tackle shops are shut. Can anyone recommend a supplier? I did put fresh maggots out last year during nesting time and all the birds went mental over them. I'm sure there used to be a bait vending near Cobtree Museum of Kent Life but that was some years back and can't find any reference to it but my guess is that it won't be in operation during the lockdown. 

Pet shops that sell food for lizards is the place for mealworms, waxworms etc.

8 hours ago, andrewluke said:

calci worms(Black Soldier Fly Larvae) are better for the birds, i get them from ebay for £24 for 5kg and that's alot of bugs

How long do they stay in the larvae stage before going to the chrysalis stage, and then how long before they hatch? Also, how long does 5kg last? I realise it will be dependent on how much you put out at a time but any and all info would be appreciated 👍

2 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

How long do they stay in the larvae stage before going to the chrysalis stage, and then how long before they hatch? Also, how long does 5kg last? I realise it will be dependent on how much you put out at a time but any and all info would be appreciated 👍

they are dried,soak them before feeding during breeding season,5kg will last 6 months or more

Edited by andrewluke

2 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

just found some here https://www.thecornmill.com/5kg-soldier-worms-add-on

2 hours ago, andrewluke said:

Great! Many thanks.

4 hours ago, JDog said:

Doc Holliday

Good luck with the nest. In order to give the birds a chance you ought to be on Corvid patrol at all times, circumstances permitting of course.

Fortunately we don't have many corvids come into our garden. That said, we did have a magpie one day last week which is very unusual. There are a number around our way but they tend to steer clear of the gardens. Too many cats for their liking I would guess. 

6 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

Great! Many thanks.

Fortunately we don't have many corvids come into our garden. That said, we did have a magpie one day last week which is very unusual. There are a number around our way but they tend to steer clear of the gardens. Too many cats for their liking I would guess. 

You will have to be vigilant if you have cats about, after incubation of about 13 days, the chicks will hatch......they will fledge after about another 14 days....but this will be a vulnerable time, as they will be very naïve........nothing worse than cats getting them. 

Plenty of good advice above. 😃 Don't act change or do anything different around them and remember they and other garden birds choose to share your space and nest near you and the habitat food you provide them. I have robins nest by my window that hatched out Monday. Great to watch and clever little birds. Nest in garden every year. Often same or near previous site. Chicks will get more vocal and parents busier as they grow. This is when they more vulnerable to predators. They just have to take there chances with cats unfortunately. As others have said hydrate any dry worms you feed this time of year. Especially with it being so dry again this Spring. Only source of moisture young get is in any food delivered. . . . If successful they may return next year. May even build again and have 2nd brood this year. . . . . . I think garden birds and some farmland birds may struggle this year because of disturbance from more people being home about at this time.  I hope i am wrong!   NB