Fox shot

Konor

The shot was taken standing with a .222 and the fox dropped immediately on first look it seemed I had hit him/her  (I think it was a vixen from memory )at the top of her right leg and taken off most of his right back paw. I couldn’t work out how she had dropped so quickly until I noticed the drag marks on the top of the right paw. Further examination showed that her left incisor had been snapped by the bullets entry and had travelled nearly its full length to exit at the top of its back leg. The damage to its back paw was older but comparatively recent indicated by the drag marks on the undamaged side of the paw

Edited by Konor
Addition

7 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

How unusual, at least you put it out of its misery. That paw wound looks like it would go septic. Fox in otherwise good condition. 

I suspect the damage to the paw was a long range shot with no compensation for drop possibly and/or a moving shot because it was hit in the back foot but it is anyone’s guess.

She may have sustained the damage some way other than a bullet but I can’t think how that might have happened. A poor shot seems the most likely explanation 

Edited by Konor
Clarification

26 minutes ago, kenholland said:

don't hear much of a .222 round for foxing as it got much of a following out there lad's ?.

I use mine for fox and roe deer. Shots are usually under 200 yards for fox and I try to get as close to the deer as I can just for the stalk I don’t think I have taken a for further than 150 yards and the norm is 50 to 100 yards. It’s a very accurate rifle and can cloverleaf at 100 yards.The .222 is at the bottom ,Ruger .243 in the middle and .22lr Winchester model 52b at the top.

3E05BE81-D1F4-4A36-A1EF-2B706B1FD1A9.jpeg

Edited by Konor

I had my. 222 rebarreled and was encouraged to rebarrel it to. 223 to make it more saleable but I decided to stick with. 222. It has never let me down probably because I keep to sensible ranges and a bit of luck. I haven't lost a roe with it yet. 

I used to load all the ammo for my friend’s .222. We used 20 grains Reloder 7 and a 55 grain Speer bullet. It worked fine on everything, and he shot a LOT of deer with it, not to mention hundreds and hundreds of foxes. We chose the 55 grain bullet with deer in mind from the start.

You may recall Lea McNally the stalker from Torridon in North West Scotland and wrote for the Shooting Times in the 1970s I’m sure he used a .222 on red deer before legislation dictated calibre and New Zealand professional deer callers were keen on the .222 for their culling I can’t remember the book I read in the early 1970s about the exploits of the New Zealand stalkers but it was a great read

I wonder if the move away from lead will affect the viability of the .222 as a roe deer cartridge here in Scotland..

8 hours ago, kenholland said:

don't hear much of a .222 round for foxing as it got much of a following out there lad's ?.

I've got two .222's, Ken. It's not dead yet! Took one for a walk last night and shot a fox with it. Low noise, superb accuracy and great terminal performance- what's not to like?  

37 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

I've a .222 here that I bought for muntjac, needs the right set of mounts before I can use it as it'd been bodged before, that'll have to wait now! Its a lovely light little gun

I've quite a few mounts of different fits and sizes sitting in a biscuit tin. PM me what you need and I'll see if I can match it and I'll post them to you for free?

45 minutes ago, Sako7mm said:

I recall that McNally used the now pretty much obsolete 222 Rem Mag, not the .222, Konor.

I wonder if the book you read was one of Lynn H. Harris's? I have his later 'Guns and Game', it's a good read. 

Thanks  Sako7mm for the info on the rifle I will check out Lynn Harris’s books 

44 minutes ago, Loki said:

Hi K

I presume you are referring to Phiip Holdens book including Pack and Rifle , The Deer Hunters etc.........good reads!

L

Thanks Loki I’ll check out the books. I think The Deer Hunters rings a bell , I think in the book I was referring to the stalkers were moved about by helicopter and a few were based in the one cabin. It would be nice to find it.

1 minute ago, Gerry78 said:

I love my 222 sako ammunition 50grain great round 👍👍

I’ve got a 20 round box of 55 grain .222 gifted to me a few years back by someone packing in. He was impressed with it ,but Ive yet to try it out.

Loki   I’ve just bought Pack and Rifle coming from Australia but reasonably priced, about £20,and free postage I think that may be the book I read previously there is also a book titled The Venison Hunters by Mike Bennett that mentions a .222 Sako vixen and also covers deer culling in  NZ so I’ve ordered that too.Thanks for all the recommendations,much appreciated 

3 hours ago, Konor said:

I’ve got a 20 round box of 55 grain .222 gifted to me a few years back by someone packing in. He was impressed with it ,but Ive yet to try it out.

Loki   I’ve just bought Pack and Rifle coming from Australia but reasonably priced, about £20,and free postage I think that may be the book I read previously there is also a book titled The Venison Hunters by Mike Bennett that mentions a .222 Sako vixen and also covers deer culling in  NZ so I’ve ordered that too.Thanks for all the recommendations,much appreciated 

Hi K

I am reading Pack n Rifle at the moment I have the other one too, didnt think you would be interested as would have moved on.........

Enjoy - I do couple of times a year (same as Jim Corbetts books in India)!

L