DIY bullet trap to reclaim lead.

95% of the bullets I fire take place at my barn table while hanging out with the neighbors.  So I’m going to start reclaiming lead to cast my own cowboy loads and flintlocks round ball.  So I ordered a 5x10 sheet of AR500 armor steel, got some railroad ties and going to have a dump truck of sand delivered.  About a year from now I should able to set a shifting table up and get lead.  The steel will be at a 45 degree angle on the top and the barrels will be filled with white play sand.  All and all the trap is going to be 10ft wide and 7.5ft tall.  Haven’t worked out all the details as I woke up about 4am and had the idea to do this so I’m just winging it. CglApFa.jpgSuXNSvv.jpg

7 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Still jealous of your range 😭

It’s getting there.  I want to do a covered area at the 100 and 200 yard.  Eventually I want to get a lane cut 300yrds through the trees but to get that far I’m getting in trees that are to large for my chainsaw so that will be a down the road project.  I fighting the spring growth now on the 200yd range.  I’m trying to not use weed killer since a spring runs through there but I’m wearing my weed eater out.  A tractor and bush hog will be nice once I get my money right

7 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Ideal, covered firing point too. Would be great to have in my garden! Do you have a way of ensuring that there is no one on the range when using it? 

Behind the house it is 1.1 miles to the nearest house.  But on my range at the farm it’s a clear cut lane to a mountain and I own the whole thing so nobody should be out there. 

I use the term range loosely.  It’s really just a 30ft wide shooting lane 200yards long with steel targets every so often. But it’s way out in the country. dm7ItmB.jpg

Edited by NoBodyImportant

3 hours ago, Remimax said:

cracking set up you have.

thought you would of knocked up one of those steel bullet traps ,the ones than funnel em into a slot in a pipe which they the drop down to a bucket at the bottom.

save having to griddle any dirt or sand ?

It was going to be several thousand dollars to get the armor steel.  This set up will be cheaper 

5 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Damp sharp sand in a blue plastic barrel will stop anything you are likely to shoot at it as long as you don't shoot mil-surp FMJ. Much cheaper than steel plates and the lead is intact not splattered 

I saw a guy on another forum used wood mulch piled up.  He would rake the mulch out on a tarp the blow it back into a pile with a leaf blower leaving lead on the tarp. Thought that was a good idea also.  It’s about 35 yards from the barn so it is rifle other then sighting in a scope or 22lr.  Maybe my pistol caliber cowboy guns.  But I been shooting lots of flintlock, cap and ball stuff lately and that eats lead like crazy.  That and I been casting slugs for my greener GP