Women's sports

The Heron

32 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

or spelling yours?

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

Can I see a capital letter after a comma? It's just getting worse!

I'm typing in the dark, easy to hit the wrong key. Anyway people who start sentences without a capital letter shouldn't be too critical. 

3 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

I'm typing in the dark, easy to hit the wrong key. Anyway people who start sentences without a capital letter shouldn't be too critical. 

norshouldthosethatusecommasinsteadofsemicolonsandmissoutverbsinclauses[

I really dislike MMA, but it's a personal choice thing, not a skill/talent thing. It's a good one to mention, because it's a great example of high quality, female sporting physicality. It's done a huge amount for women's contact sport and women's sport in general. It's helped that men's and women's has become more mainstream at the same time. They came out of the woodwork together, have been treated together and generated their own global stars together. Within a few years of becoming more mainstream, MMA gets Ronda Rousy. And then Holly Holm beats her and the world goes mad for the story. 

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

You sir are a man after my own heart 👍.

Nothing better than spending an afternoon in front of the telly watching ladies beach volleyball,  obviously I like to join in , so I wear my speedos,  and put my feet in a bucket of sand .

Couldn’t agree more 😊

sorry for the late reply a crab in the sand bucket nipped my toe caused me to jump up my deckchair snapped shut like a man trap and it’s been a nightmare untangling it from the furniture 😊

2 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

norshouldthosethatusecommasinsteadofsemicolonsandmissoutverbsinclauses[

I really dislike MMA, but it's a personal choice thing, not a skill/talent thing. It's a good one to mention, because it's a great example of high quality, female sporting physicality. It's done a huge amount for women's contact sport and women's sport in general. It's helped that men's and women's has become more mainstream at the same time. They came out of the woodwork together, have been treated together and generated their own global stars together. Within a few years of becoming more mainstream, MMA gets Ronda Rousy. And then Holly Holm beats her and the world goes mad for the story. 

I don't agree that male and female MMA have become popular together. The first UFC fight was 1993, the first female UFC fight was 2013. There were 156 UFC events before a woman ever stepped into the octagon, and that is only counting numbered UFC events. If you included events like UFC Fight Nights then it's well over 200.  

The first generation of UFC stars had been and gone before Ronda fought. I suppose though it depends how you define mainstream and when you think the UFC became mainstream. Personally I would say that happened once The Ultimate Fighter hit TV in 2005.

I know that I was watching long before Ronda appeared and that I was very sceptical about women fighting. How wrong was I though?

27 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Couldn’t agree more 😊

sorry for the late reply a crab in the sand bucket nipped my toe caused me to jump up my deckchair snapped shut like a man trap and it’s been a nightmare untangling it from the furniture 😊

Crabs in volleyball has been an issue for years , it's about time that the volleyballing authorities got to grips with it ,before it ends in serious injury or worse for some poor voyeur , sorry , I meant spectator 👍

1 hour ago, loriusgarrulus said:

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I was hoping someone might identify them and who is the missing one?

Lin has put up with far worse from mel.

What, Wilson, Keppel but no Betty

1 minute ago, mel b3 said:

Crabs in volleyball has been an issue for years , it's about time that the volleyballing authorities got to grips with it ,before it ends in serious injury or worse for some poor voyeur , sorry , I meant spectator 👍

And you’re forgetting about the sandflies🙄

I tell you the sacrifices some make to support a sport are seldom realised 

just off to watch the southern channel submarine race (submerged event)almost perfect conditions for it 👍😊

It’s the Ladies slalom today 

before anyone complains from the shed roof with binoculars 

32 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

I don't agree that male and female MMA have become popular together. The first UFC fight was 1993, the first female UFC fight was 2013. There were 156 UFC events before a woman ever stepped into the octagon, and that is only counting numbered UFC events. If you included events like UFC Fight Nights then it's well over 200.  

The first generation of UFC stars had been and gone before Ronda fought. I suppose though it depends how you define mainstream and when you think the UFC became mainstream. Personally I would say that happened once The Ultimate Fighter hit TV in 2005.

I know that I was watching long before Ronda appeared and that I was very sceptical about women fighting. How wrong was I though?

That will be my ignorance of the sport showing through! I think of mainstream with something like this as when I heard of it, and I feel like I got more understanding of the men's...game? action? whatever? at about the same time as the women's one. Certainly it became more watched and more accessible to big media in this country well after 2005.

Like I said I really don't like it, but there's no way I'd step into the octagon with any of the women who do it. Too strong, too athletic and too fast for me!

Just back on the tennis  every fan loves the meeting's between Federer and Nadal the best tennis ever all the women ever do is grunt like a perminant orgasm and yes it's slow and painful to watch and before anyone says I know Billy Jean King beat a man  in a contest but today I don't see the top woman's players beating the likes of Doickovich Nadal or Federer. 

5 minutes ago, The Heron said:

Look I have tried to watch it but it fails on every front when they start meddling it's doomed look at the space ship when someone said go on give her ago what harm can she do. 

Adam Gilchrist: 'Sarah Taylor's the best wicket keeper in the world right now - male or female.' Guess she failed on every front too. And don't give me that about it's a slower game. She's up at the stumps to Shrubsole bowling at 60,70+mph, way quicker than the spinners in the men's game. And taking stumpings down the leg side. Clearly useless.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

And you’re forgetting about the sandflies🙄

I tell you the sacrifices some make to support a sport are seldom realised 

just off to watch the southern channel submarine race (submerged event)almost perfect conditions for it 👍😊

It’s the Ladies slalom today 

before anyone complains from the shed roof with binoculars 

Submarine racing can be a very dangerous spectator sport , please try to adhere to current safety regulations,  and get someone to foot your ladder when you climb onto the shed roof.👍.

10 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Submarine racing can be a very dangerous spectator sport , please try to adhere to current safety regulations,  and get someone to foot your ladder when you climb onto the shed roof.👍.

That’s going to be a tad difficult in this situation unless you know anyone with 2 meter long legs 🤔👍

2 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

That will be my ignorance of the sport showing through! I think of mainstream with something like this as when I heard of it, and I feel like I got more understanding of the men's...game? action? whatever? at about the same time as the women's one. Certainly it became more watched and more accessible to big media in this country well after 2005.

Like I said I really don't like it, but there's no way I'd step into the octagon with any of the women who do it. Too strong, too athletic and too fast for me!

I'm not surprised. Ronda was huge for the sport. She certainly brought a lot of truly mainstream attention that male fighters struggled to equal. I don't honestly know when it really took off in the UK. I've been watching it for a long time. I would find livestreams online and stay up until the early hours of the morning. I'm less dedicated now, I just find a torrent the day after and watch the fights on a Sunday morning/afternoon.

3 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Adam Gilchrist: 'Sarah Taylor's the best wicket keeper in the world right now - male or female.' Guess she failed on every front too. And don't give me that about it's a slower game. She's up at the stumps to Shrubsole bowling at 60,70+mph, way quicker than the spinners in the men's game. And taking stumpings down the leg side. Clearly useless.

Yes she is 20 mph slower than the top bowler's 

Just now, The Heron said:

Yes she is 20 mph slower than the top bowler's 

Er...error. Where do men's wicket keepers stand for bowlers bowling 80-90mph? They stand back. They stand up to spinners bowling at low 50's. There's Sarah Taylor standing up at the stumps to Shrubsole, bowling at 70mph down the leg side. She's unsighted because of the batter, going the opposite way to where she wants to go and doesn't know how far she has to move. That's bad enough at 55mph, Taylor's got to do that at 70mph. Then because it's down the leg side and moved more (it's Shrubsole, it's swung) she's had to take it in her left hand, with all her momentum taking her further from the stumps. So she's then got to fight all of that to swivel back ground to take the bails with her weaker hand because that's faster than swapping to her right. all of that has to happen in fractions of a second to effect the stumping. Guess it could have been a fluke?

Or not. She's done it with Gunn bowling 60's+ and Nat Sciver. She's just world class. Probably why Gilchrist thinks she was the best in the world at the time...

30 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Er...error. Where do men's wicket keepers stand for bowlers bowling 80-90mph? They stand back. They stand up to spinners bowling at low 50's. There's Sarah Taylor standing up at the stumps to Shrubsole, bowling at 70mph down the leg side. She's unsighted because of the batter, going the opposite way to where she wants to go and doesn't know how far she has to move. That's bad enough at 55mph, Taylor's got to do that at 70mph. Then because it's down the leg side and moved more (it's Shrubsole, it's swung) she's had to take it in her left hand, with all her momentum taking her further from the stumps. So she's then got to fight all of that to swivel back ground to take the bails with her weaker hand because that's faster than swapping to her right. all of that has to happen in fractions of a second to effect the stumping. Guess it could have been a fluke?

Or not. She's done it with Gunn bowling 60's+ and Nat Sciver. She's just world class. Probably why Gilchrist thinks she was the best in the world at the time...

Sarah Taylor has to be up there as one of the best. She also played first class men’s cricket in Australia. She struggled with mental health issues though which curtailed her England career.