Made use of an old electric planer

B725

NOW you have just given me a job to do tomorrow. I have a planer which looks identical to yours and I was about to buy a new bench planer BUT now you have shown me that I have a new project for Sunday. Many thanks for posting.

Yes, mind you don't do a 'teamtractor'.  Make a guide to push the work through if you haven't already.

Are you going to reveal how you fixed the planer in etc??

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

NOW you have just given me a job to do tomorrow. I have a planer which looks identical to yours and I was about to buy a new bench planer BUT now you have shown me that I have a new project for Sunday. Many thanks for posting.

Yes, mind you don't do a 'teamtractor'.  Make a guide to push the work through if you haven't already.

I did a bit of trial and error unsuring its trapped tightly, the box also traps the planer and also glued and screwed some packers to stop it moving. I used hard wood for the guideand the cable store's in the box,I glued and screwed a piece of wood underneath to clamp it in the workmate  it work's very well, I will make a push stick tommorow. 

20200418_190904_copy_1512x2016.jpg

20200418_190858_copy_1512x2016.jpg

20200418_190843_copy_1512x2016.jpg

Edited by B725

Where the plate moves to adjust the depth I cut a small rebate to allow it to be adjusted . I don't know why but the pictures didn't come out in order, no2 you can see a small rebate to allow the plate to move so you can adjust the depth.

20200418_190924_copy_1512x2016_1.jpg

Edited by B725

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Mine was spindle moulder 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, washerboy said:

I use an an industrial version nearly every day. Apprentices aren't allowed on it for a month. I've seen folks lose fingers on it. 

https://www.wadkin.com/wadkin-fm-planer-thicknesser

We had the same kit at college and I’ve been told recently that my teacher cleaned the bed with his hand . It wasn’t turned off 🤢🤢🤢

2 hours ago, B725 said:

I have an old planer that I never got on with so to make use of it and using scrap timber I turned it upside down made a box with a 90 degree guide secured it in and now have a usable tool. 

20200418_164501_copy_1512x2016.jpg

Great idea . We used to do similar with a router . Just watch your fingers as said already 

When I was an apprentice joiner (mid 60s) I remember the bosses son shouting "whose throwing that red dye around"? sure enough 4 passes across the blades, removed 4 fingers down to the knuckles, so quick there was no pain. Always use a push stick and stay safe.

My own bro lost 4 fingers to a circular saw when a large sheet of polycarbinate jumped with a binding of the blade, luckily the surgeons were able to sew them back on again with knitting needles pushed down through the fingers to hold them in place. They are obviously shorter now and he knows when rain is on the way as he says he can feel it in his fingers!

Edited by Flyboy1950

54 minutes ago, B725 said:

The hole in the front of the boxing gives access to the on/off trigger and the button to lock it on. 

May I suggest you get a NVR ( no volt release ) unit fitted between the planer flex plug and the socket?

it will also  act as an Emergency Stop button......could even be fitted on the side of the frame and accessible with your hand or even, in an emergency, your knee. Also if there is a power cut/loss it will,not restart when power is restored.

just a thought

nice re use of the plane though!   Am currently reworking an unused deep fat fryer to make a heated tank for derusting metal with warm citric acid .  This lockdown seems to be awakening the inner Mad Inventor in people!

stay safe, stay in

4 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Nice re use of the plane though!   Am currently reworking an unused deep fat fryer to make a heated tank for derusting metal with warm citric acid .  This lockdown seems to be awakening the inner Mad Inventor in people!

stay safe, stay in

Car battery charger and baking soda. Works much better 👍

Who is? I am right handed. 

That's a good idea Diver One, when I have time I will fit a panic button that can be used as an on/off switch as well .The one I have in mind is what we use to shut off gas valve's they have a big red button that just needs a slight push but twist and pull to turn on.

Edited by B725

3 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

The planer bench has been configured to favour a left handed user.... 

The discharge is a bit flimsy and you couldn't make it tight in the board at the back, on the plus side I have to keep out of the way of the bits flying out, I have tried it out and I was fine with it.