Using galvanised mesh for bbq

mel b3

Hiya folks ,

I'm about to make a new bbq from a propane bottle,  but , the only thing that I have that could be used as a grill , is galvanised mesh fencing . I know that it's usually a big no no to use it for cooking on , but due to this Corona business,  I'm a bit restricted for getting supplies at the moment.  My question is , can I use galvanised mesh if I burn it well (with a roaring fire in the bbq ) before I put any food on the bbq ?.

I could kick myself as I threw most of my scrap pile( including suitable mesh  ) away a few months ago.😕

I don't really know but having had to weld galvanised in the past and outside well ventilated it needs a fair bit of hit to burn the surface off.  Better minds than I on the subject will no doubt be in with advice but personally I would not use it.  Pity you are so far away as I have a couple of pieces which would do.     Why not a steel plate with slots cut . I must admit I grill most of my stuff on our gas barbecue on the cast plate.  Sure you could find a manhole cover on your offical journeys:good: cut slots or drill holes.   I have eaten steaks and oysters grilled on a big chunk of cast iron.  Spreads the heat nicely like a good cast iron skillet.

If you haven't already I suppose there is no need to tell you to fill the gas bottle with water before cutting it.

Edited by Walker570

A cast iron lid on that gas bottle would also allow you to make it larger than the fire. The edges of the cast iron would then allow you to shift food to the side to cook slowly or put it in the centre to sear it, just a thought...

I now have visions of some poor soul in Tipton being dragged from a hole in the ground:yes:

Edited by Walker570

38 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Hiya folks ,

I'm about to make a new bbq from a propane bottle,  but , the only thing that I have that could be used as a grill , is galvanised mesh fencing . I know that it's usually a big no no to use it for cooking on , but due to this Corona business,  I'm a bit restricted for getting supplies at the moment.  My question is , can I use galvanised mesh if I burn it well (with a roaring fire in the bbq ) before I put any food on the bbq ?.

I could kick myself as I threw most of my scrap pile( including suitable mesh  ) away a few months ago.😕

Has Lin got a spare cooling rack. Would that work.

Or one of those steel foot scraper doorstep grids that could be cleaned up.

15 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I don't really know but having had to weld galvanised in the past and outside well ventilated it needs a fair bit of hit to burn the surface off.  Better minds than I on the subject will no doubt be in with advice but personally I would not use it.  Pity you are so far away as I have a couple of pieces which would do.     Why not a steel plate with slots cut . I must admit I grill most of my stuff on our gas barbecue on the cast plate.  Sure you could find a manhole cover on your offical journeys:good: cut slots or drill holes.   I have eaten steaks and oysters grilled on a big chunk of cast iron.  Spreads the heat nicely like a good cast iron skillet.

If you haven't already I suppose there is no need to tell you to fill the gas bottle with water before cutting it.

Wise advice Walker, I have dealt with a few deep dermal burns from cutting into these bottles with a grinder. Please take care as it is never pleasant having to be referred to the local or regional plastics.

Mel post up some pics as you progress. I look forward to salivating at your culinary delights.

atb

7diaw

35 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I'm an old hand at cutting the gas bottles nev . The first few do make your bum twitch a bit 😅

28 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Or you could jus use a grill out of the oven and put it back afterwards 😊👍

I hadn't thought about that to be honest , it might be an option👍.

27 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, is that a round grill your wanting?  i would not advise using galv mesh, you can buy replacement grill  in stainless for a few pound

It's a rectangular grill ,I'm using a 13kg propane bottle , cut in half length ways.

I can get some ordered , I just like making things from scrap , and I wanted to use it to cook on Tuesday for Lins birthday.

14 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

A cast iron lid on that gas bottle would also allow you to make it larger than the fire. The edges of the cast iron would then allow you to shift food to the side to cook slowly or put it in the centre to sear it, just a thought...

I don't have any cast iron , but I do have some 4mm steel plate that might make a griddle. 

4 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Has Lin got a spare cooling rack. Would that work.

Or one of those steel foot scraper doorstep grids that could be cleaned up.

Lins cooking doesn't stretch to cooling racks unfortunately 😢

3 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Wise advice Walker, I have dealt with a few deep dermal burns from cutting into these bottles with a grinder. Please take care as it is never pleasant having to be referred to the local or regional plastics.

Mel post up some pics as you progress. I look forward to salivating at your culinary delights.

atb

7diaw

I don't really do in progress,  I usually just get the welder and grinder ready ,and throw one together in an hour.

I'll be sure to put a couple of pics up when it's done though.

I've been asked to make another gas bottle log burner (I haven't made one for a couple of years  ), I might try to do a step by step thingy 👍.

2 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I'm an old hand at cutting the gas bottles nev . The first few do make your bum twitch a bit 😅

I hadn't thought about that to be honest , it might be an option👍.

It's a rectangular grill ,I'm using a 13kg propane bottle , cut in half length ways.

I can get some ordered , I just like making things from scrap , and I wanted to use it to cook on Tuesday for Lins birthday.

I don't have any cast iron , but I do have some 4mm steel plate that might make a griddle. 

Lins cooking doesn't stretch to cooling racks unfortunately 😢

I don't really do in progress,  I usually just get the welder and grinder ready ,and throw one together in an hour.

I'll be sure to put a couple of pics up when it's done though.

I've been asked to make another gas bottle log burner (I haven't made one for a couple of years  ), I might try to do a step by step thingy 👍.

What about the grid from a meat roasting dish.

Or out of a halogen oven.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

3 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

What about the grid from a meat roasting dish.

Or out of a halogen oven.

I think that's probably what I'll use until something more suitable comes along.

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, sounds a nice way to celebrate Lins birthday, i think we should all send our good wishes:good:

She likes bbq because I always do the cooking . She really is a pretty good cook , but absolutely hates cooking.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

ok well here is the first birthday wish:yay:

It's not her birthday until Tuesday,  but I'll pass your birthday wishes along as soon as she emerges from the workshop . She's making masks today and I can't go in because I'm dirty 😆

52 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

dd another on the end upright connected by a short 4 inch pipe, with hanging racks for smoking....... I'm full of ideas.  It makes small version of the Stevensons Rocket barbie/smokers you see in the States.

I've made smokers for other people,  but not for myself,  it's another one of those jobs on my list , also on my list is a Oz pig  for the woodland. 

50 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIN 🎉🌹🌹🌹🌹

Don't get too excited , she's only 70 , well she looks about 70 ish 😲.

40 minutes ago, snow white said:

Mel don’t used galv mesh for bq I had to pack up welding because of the fumes can’t you get a bit of expanded mesh.

I will ask one of my lads if he as anything knocking about you can use if he as I will make arrangements for you to get it.

Tony

Expanded mesh would be perfect ,getting in on Sunday afternoon on Lockdown is the problem. 

I've messed about with galv a fair bit in the past , and it's pretty nasty stuff , but somewhere in the back of my mind , I seem to remember burning galvanised steel on a fire to burn off the galv .

33 minutes ago, henry d said:

Neither the oven or cooling rack will work, they bend as the heat can be localised and over the temperature of a normal oven, my BBQ can get up to 350'c. Cast iron is the way to go

That's the cooker rack idea out of the window then 😢

I knew that I shouldn't have thrown my scrap pile away , I could kick myself now 😬

thanks to snow white , a piece of expanded mesh might be on the way soon:good:.

i cobbled a small bbq together yesterday , i havent welded it yet , and might not bother to be honest , i just used small bolts , and some old racking for legs . i burned it to oblivion last night , just to remove anything nasty and burn the paint off the gas bottle , before painting.  i burned a piece of the galvanized mesh while i was at it , ive been down the garden to have a look this morning , and burning it seems to have worked , it was glowing red for about two hours , no coating is left on it , and its already going rusty , although its looking pretty mangled now. 

sky gipsy , i need a piece with a minimum size of 25" x 13" , but it looks like snow white might be able to get a piece via his lad :good:.

33 minutes ago, sky gipsy said:

Hope you get sorted out. I just measured the pieces I've got and they are 20" square so probably too small for you although just let me know if you do need one.

will do , thankyou very much :good:

18 hours ago, henry d said:

Neither the oven or cooling rack will work, they bend as the heat can be localised and over the temperature of a normal oven, my BBQ can get up to 350'c. Cast iron is the way to go

Oven racks work fine.

I went to the local tip and got two oven racks for my home made barbecue for nowt and they have been totally fine. I think it's five maybe six years old now. 

Edited by ClemFandango