Anyone know anything about Relum Tornado?

High_gun

I have an old Relum Tornado airgun (about 30 years old, bought new :blink: ) and just wondered if anyone has, or did have one of these rifles and if so, can you tell me anything about them?

There is very little that I can find on the internet so was curious as to whether you may know what power they are etc. and what you think to them.

Having not used another airgun as powerful as this :rolleyes: I am surprised at it's accuracy even after this time and with open sites.

High_gun.

P.s. I have uploaded a pic here http://www.countrysidesports.netfirms.com/relum.html

High Gun,

I owned one of these fine rifles about 1972.

I can't give you much on its history but I can say it was a damn fine piece of kit, in its day. Well powerful and accurate.

A check on the net reveals

www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk who do spares

www.helstongunsmiths.com who do springs

www.sharpshooter-trading.co.uk look under article..words of wisdom...a gunsmith rates this as a good practice rifle...now if you could find him, he might be able to tell you a lot.

Hope this helps.

High Gun.

A mate of mine still uses one for rabbits (.22) and it knocks them over with no problem.

He paid 20 quid for it a year or two back and all its cost him since was a new spring.

He had it crono tested and it was running at just under 12lbs.

They are a sturdy bit of kit.

If i am correct they were made in hungary, but thats about all i know.

regards sutty

:rolleyes:

neil

There is a pic here http://www.countrysidesports.netfirms.com/relum.html but a will get some better pics and upload them tomorrow.

sutty

When you say "He had it crono tested and it was running at just under 12lbs" was that before of after the new spring?

They are indeed a sturdy gun and the pellet drops very little over distances of between 5 and 45 yards which is mighty handy.

You have the last model tornado (same as mine) it looks in very good condition for its age (1970s), they have a weird mainspring, (actually two springs one inside the other hence the reasion they can be a bit noisy to cock) instead of the more usual mianspring with a central guide. They are pretty much bombproof, i know a farmer who keeps one in his tractor shed to shoot ferel pigeons, it has been in there for as long as i can remember and looks as if it was excavated from the mary rose but still does the job.

"looks as if it was excavated from the mary rose" :rolleyes: :blink:

I had wondered about the sound actually. I'm not sure if it should be but this one is quite hard to cock, is this normal?

It could probably do with a good oil. The reason it is in quite good condition is because as I said it was bought new and when my family owned a company (grain merchant). The mill was about 80 - 100 feet high ( I think ) and it was used to shoot pigeons in it. It was used for a few years then practically stored for about 20 until my Dad got it out again a few years ago. It is basically brand new having very few shots through it.

High gun

(By mill I am not refering to the wind variety :D )

• 3 years later...

I too have one of these guns. I just got it off of my Dad as he has replaced it. I shot with it as kid and he said it was bought in 1972 but I don't know if it was purchased new or not.

Can anyone tell me how to set the sights up? The sight doesn't appear to have any screws etc to adjust. Do I just bend it? I looked at the pictures of your gun and mine doesn't have the 'tube' over the sight on the end of the barrel. Will this be a problem or not?

This is my first ever rifle so please excuse the terms I use, I'm afraid I don't know any better yet. :blush:

Ooooooooohn a Relum Tornado.

The first air rifle that I ever had (one of about 50).

As someone said, it had two mainsprings - hence the twangy noise when firing.

As far as I can remember it pays to keep the springs well lubricated with moly grease, as this helped to reduce the noise plus aided in the less friction stakes between the springs and the guides.

I had a 4 x 20 scope on it that was absolutely the bees knees (I thought) at the time - light pick-up at dusk was absolutely ****.

Still, it started me off with air guns, and you can't have better training.

Don

Well, things are on the up......read on.

I fitted the scope that I stumbled across wedged in the bottom of the rifle sleeve (a 4 x 20 Horton Crossbows model) and spent an hour in the loft firing at some targets and hey presto, I'm actually hitting the places that I'm aiming, astounding.

I know most of you reading this will think 'calm down mate, you're firing an antique' but I had a real ball.

I'm gonna carry on with this old beast but I think, after a quick thumb through an air gun mag, I'll have a look around for a new model, possibly a precharged.

Any views on a step up model? Not yet though, I've got to bag me some squirrel!! :good:

• 3 years later...

Well, things are on the up......read on.

I fitted the scope that I stumbled across wedged in the bottom of the rifle sleeve (a 4 x 20 Horton Crossbows model) and spent an hour in the loft firing at some targets and hey presto, I'm actually hitting the places that I'm aiming, astounding.

I know most of you reading this will think 'calm down mate, you're firing an antique' but I had a real ball.

I'm gonna carry on with this old beast but I think, after a quick thumb through an air gun mag, I'll have a look around for a new model, possibly a precharged.

Any views on a step up model? Not yet though, I've got to bag me some squirrel!! :good:

a good step up model if you go down the pcp road would be a air arms s400

The Hungarian Relum,s sold well back in the 70,s because you could buy guns from mail order catalogues(such as Littlewoods) back then and the Relum,s were the cheapest.I dont think that your,s was one of the last models because the stock was improved on the last ones I recall.Powerwise,if yours is pushing 12ft/lbs then its been heavily tweaked-more normal output was in the region of 9-10.Weak areas are the breach seals and the leather washer which needs correct lube to prevent dieseling.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought my Relum Z11 in .177 in the early 60's (yes 60's, I'm that old) Brand new it was £7. I am sure mine was a CZ. It was deadly accurate for a springer, but not as powerful as my mate's BSA Meteor .22. I still own it, having fitted a new spring and replaced the leather washer with a PTFE one about 20 years ago. I tested it at 11 ft lb. It has accounted for numerous squirrels, rats and feral pigeons.

On 18/07/2011 at 21:35, bruno22rf said:

The Hungarian Relum,s sold well back in the 70,s because you could buy guns from mail order catalogues(such as Littlewoods) 

I got a Webley Hawk out of my mum's catalogue and if my memory serves me right you could also buy shotguns! Happy days.

• 1 year later...

Hi Im new to this forum and found it when searching for info on relum tornado. I have a relum tornado (stamped foreign). It was left to me by my wife's dad who owned it in the early 60s. I know very little about air rifles but am in the process of restoring it. I don't know the model other than what I have quoted and don't know if the serial number can date it but that's 14599. Internally the two springs (one inside the other) look OK however the leather washer on the piston is shabby and worn. Does anyone know how I source a replacement t either in leather or recomend better? I also can see how the washer  omes off as it seems fitted with a flat head rivett - any suggestions / help would be appreciated 

Chambers do a complete washer/fitting kit, pretty sure you have to drill out the old rivet from inside the piston but you may be able to drift it out with a suitable length of steel, if not use the new pin as a drill size guide. Soak the washer overnight in neatsfoot oil.

Edited by bruno22rf