Bird table ???.

samboy

I've seen magpies and crows taking young birds, blackbirds for instance just seem to stand there waiting for something to take them, same with sparrow hawks, we get the odd strike and I've been lucky enough to be at the window a few times.

We've got 3 or 4 pairs of blackbirds in the garden at the moment and at least one pair of thrushes,  never seem to see any thrush chicks though?

Just about got to the point we could do with some rain now.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bird table is out in the front garden, its always busy with birds. I have fat balls hanging off either side of it to. My only problem at the moment is a Rat that i have caught a pic of on my stalker camera helping himself to a meal each night!

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Thought it was strange 😊

I can understand them taking chicks and smaller birds, just didn't imagine them taking on a blackbird. 

I was actually in my cave down the garden at the time, just looking out over next doors hedge when all of a sudden a load of feather and squawking appeared, looking over the fence was the Blackbird with the Sparrowhawk on it.  

I see them now and again darting through the trees. 

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, samboy said:

The birds have turned up and are eating me out of house and home.  Pigeons, Starlings, Sparrows. Nothing else. Have not seen any Squirrels trying to have a feed up.

Pigeons and starlings are a pain in the neck on my bird feeders.  The squirrel proof type (as well as being fairly squirrel 'resistant') stop pigeons, but starlings are still a problem on any 'fay based' food, but don't seem to bother with seed or nuts.

On 20/04/2020 at 15:32, NatureBoy said:

Just heard from one of the farmers/real conservationists that first turtle dove back our way and on the feed. 😉  Hope this season as good as/better than last for them. Happy Days!       NB

Real happy days hopefully?

Starlings raiding my rat/squirrel feeder all of the time.

To the op, personally think to move the table a yard closer to the hedge would help, probably feeling too exposed?

6 minutes ago, Mice! said:

My feeders are practically in amongst the foliage now, the smaller birds dart in and out at will with plenty of cover.

20200513_122440.jpg.a6e656c9a230bfb62a415ed4550cf865.jpg

About a metre from the patio 😊 everyone is on feline and magpie watch.

Fantastic K

In our buddleia we have woodies nesting in the upper part and not a foot below them in the well protected crook are a couple of wrens, well that what me and mrs 7days think they are, I try and get some pics as they come out onto the lawn. 

29 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Fantastic K

In our buddleia we have woodies nesting in the upper part and not a foot below them in the well protected crook are a couple of wrens, well that what me and mrs 7days think they are, I try and get some pics as they come out onto the lawn. 

If your 'wrens' go on the lawn they may be hedge sparrows. It is not like wrens to land on the ground.

41 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Fantastic K

What's funny is the kids have got tadpoles in two tubs right by the tree with the nest, we obviously haven't bothered them 👍

11 minutes ago, JDog said:

If your 'wrens' go on the lawn they may be hedge sparrows. It is not like wrens to land on the ground.

You've got me thinking now JD, I think the chicks are dunnock in my picture but we do get wrens amongst the pots and bushes, but I'm trying to think if I ever see them on the ground??

16 minutes ago, JDog said:

I will try and get some pictures JD, we usually see them flitting from fence to fence ,it is in the last two weeks  or so that we have noticed them on the lawn. One is always hopping behind the other by about a metre (social distancing :lol:) looks like they are courting but I could be incorrect. I have just looked up some pictures of hedge sparrows and I suspect you may are correct. 

@Mice!

Fascinating!

I bet the kids are checking on them every day?

Did you get a frost in the last few nights as I know we have had some cold nights, if you have had I would not have thought it would have harmed your taddies though?

I made a bird table & a hanging feeding station for the window sill of my gf's 1st floor flat,the flats are 15yds away from a wood,there's sparrows,chaffinches & a variety of tits on it constantly,a woodpecker also visits frequently but is very flighty,if it spots any movement through the window it's off,these are all great entertainment but the star of the show is 'Tyson' the red squirrel,we've named him Tyson because a second smaller squirrel appeared on the scene & Tyson was having none of it,a fight ensued & we saw Tyson deal the smaller squirrel a left jab followed by a swift right hook,it was bloody hilarious! 🤣,the smaller squirrel only now appears when it knows Tyson isn't around,i had to devise a bird-proof squirrel feeder for the table to prevent the birds from emptying the squirrels nut jar,Tyson destroyed the first self closing plastic lid i made so i have since devised another,i've also had to put bird spikes on top of the wood that the bird feeders hang from because the goddamned crows homed in on it & were managing to unhook the feeders so they'd fall to the ground,unreal!

Meet Tyson,he there at least 3 times per day & often for a half hour or so... 🙂

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Greater Spotted or Lesser Spotted?,i reckon Greater Spotted but happy to be corrected,poor quality pic,zoomed in from a phone

20200509-091741.jpg

The squirrels have to run across the grass & up the flat wall to get to the table,my next mission is to make a rope bridge for them.

Edited by 51/50

53 minutes ago, 51/50 said:

The squirrels have to run across the grass & up the flat wall to get to the table,my next mission is to make a rope bridge for them.

Very jealous,  I get plenty of birds but I don't get red squirrels. 

We have great spotted and green woodpeckers feeding off the sunflower hearts. I also have rats taking the peanuts off the squirrel table. Fortunately it has been built with a backstop. Amazing how much enjoyment you can get from feeding a few wild birds. 

On 20/04/2020 at 14:08, pux said:

My bird table is out in the front garden, its always busy with birds. I have fat balls hanging off either side of it to. My only problem at the moment is a Rat that i have caught a pic of on my stalker camera helping himself to a meal each night!

I had the same problem with rat issue, it turned into a family of the blighters.

8 hours ago, samboy said:

The birds have turned up and are eating me out of house and home.  Pigeons, Starlings, Sparrows. Nothing else. Have not seen any Squirrels trying to have a feed up.

Do you have a Home Bargains near you ?  If so a 50 tub of fat balls £3.99 and a large bag of seed is £3.99 also.

I put some mealworms out that I had soaked in water. Unfortunately the dominant blackbird in the garden (he is noticeable as he some white flashes on his wings - and before any smart **** says it no it isn’t a magpie) scoffs the lot and chases any other birds away. 

40 minutes ago, AVB said:

I put some mealworms out that I had soaked in water. Unfortunately the dominant blackbird in the garden (he is noticeable as he some white flashes on his wings - and before any smart **** says it no it isn’t a magpie) scoffs the lot and chases any other birds away. 

Your making it too easy, put out another lot of meal worms 👍 happy to help.

So this is strange,  wife tells me the chicks were still there this morning but this afternoon no chicks and one new egg? I wouldn't have thought they were ready to fledge but can't see them having been predated and the female having layed again so soon?

@NatureBoy any ideas?

10 minutes ago, Mice! said:

So this is strange,  wife tells me the chicks were still there this morning but this afternoon no chicks and one new egg? I wouldn't have thought they were ready to fledge but can't see them having been predated and the female having layed again so soon?

@NatureBoy any ideas?

The chicks may have fledged or been predated.

As for the egg, it may have been there all along.