Pigeon behaviour

the hitman

Hi Folks

I mentioned in a previous tread that a pair of woodpigeons were nest building in my garden hedge.

All was going well and 2 eggs were being incubated by both parents in tern. We have a few magpies in the area and I chased a couple out of a tree in my garden which I thought had spotted the pigeons nest although it is well hidden.

Yesterday morning I heard the songbirds making a commotion and spotted a magpie on my lawn which is very unusual. After chasing it I spotted 2 pigeons observing the situation from my house rooftop. I assumed the magpie had raided the nest but on closer inspection both eggs remained in place.

One of the pigeons returned to sit on the nest but after an hour or so was gone and neither pigeon has returned since leaving the eggs to go cold.

Do you think the magpie has spooked them enough for them to move on and try somewhere else ?

yes I am getting bored .

Hitman

a few years ago I found a songbirds nest in my front hedge that was from the previous year-brought it to show the kids, then I hatched a cunning plan.

placed it out on the lawn with some out of date eggs from the fridge in it and laid in wait with the air rifle.

within 10 minutes a magpie was on it-there aren't a huge population round my house so its incredible how it located it so quickly.

dropped it and pegged it out on a neck prop.5 mins later his mate is going nuts in a tree in the garden-luckily in range.pop and 2 down inside 20 mins.

I have long since declared my garden as a sanctuary for woodpigeons-as to be fair I'm fairly hard on them enough so they can visit and feed anytime-however, no quarter given  for maggies or any corvid.

If I was down to my last round on any shoot-I'd happily shoot a magpie.

f.