• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, washerboy said:

I salute you 

I'm still working and every day I wonder why. 80% of my wages and send me home to be that little bit safer. 

So like me hang on in there. Hope we get thought of better when it's all over 

Back in work and glad of it, we were asked if we wanted to come back in, being contractors we weren't getting paid but weren't forced either. Lots of things put in place so we can keep our distance from others.

I think more companies have used the 80% than the government were expecting and it will cost us all in the long term but it was a good decision. 

I'm still working full time as normal from home and trying to look after and educate my six yr old daughter at the same time. Its a nightmare. Meanwhile  I'm looking out of my study window seeing a constant procession of people swanning about with nothing better to do. I think that when this is all over those who kept working throughout should receive a 3 month tax holiday.

This country is still functioning due to the hard working and selfless folk like yourselves.

It's the shop workers, bin men, delivery drivers, postie's, etc etc that are keeping things running. And obviously the NHS staff of all levels. All jobs that attract generally lower pay scales. 

I sincerely hope that when we get through this, that the right people are remembered and looked after. It puts into perspective the obscene amounts that some are paid such as sports stars and BBC presenters. The country has run fine without them and can continue to do so.

3 minutes ago, MirokuMK70 said:

I think that when this is all over those who kept working throughout should receive a 3 month tax holiday.

Spot on. Some professions are on full paid leave, likely for months. While others are risking their families safety and their own to keep this country going, but yet are unlikely to get any bonuses

9 minutes ago, MirokuMK70 said:

I'm still working full time as normal from home and trying to look after and educate my six yr old daughter at the same time. Its a nightmare. Meanwhile  I'm looking out of my study window seeing a constant procession of people swanning about with nothing better to do. I think that when this is all over those who kept working throughout should receive a 3 month tax holiday.

Yes, and a 3 month holiday as well.

Still at it here … running a food manufacturing business.

Tough in the early days keeping pace with the changes we needed to make to keep folks safe. I'm mainly able to work from home, so I have been ….

No walk in the park with 2 teenagers and 2 labs, trying to keep on top of everything … had a meltdown the first morning!! We're in a routine now, and it's not that bad, but I'm certainly glad when the weekend arrives. One thing that is very clear is the long term impact of this … not good.

Its not that I'm a "key worker". My wife is. I'm a designer, but our 70 person company is entirely dispersed working from home with the same workload and deadlines as normal - trying to keep the business alive through this crisis. I'm a key worker to my family. But it does rankle that i'm paying for some people to take a 3 month paid holiday at the moment.

1 minute ago, MirokuMK70 said:

Its not that I'm a "key worker". My wife is. I'm a designer, but our 70 person company is entirely dispersed working from home with the same workload and deadlines as normal - trying to keep the business alive through this crisis. I'm a key worker to my family. But it does rankle that i'm paying for some people to take a 3 month paid holiday at the moment.

Won't the government pay you back?

17 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

It was definitely a good decision to pay, 80% may be slightly high but good. On another thread here a few days before the announcement of paid furlough I was having to decide who/how many to axe. It has saved jobs already.  

Nice to hear, 80% is a whole lot better than redundancy. 

hello, one must remember millions had no choice in this matter of being furloughed more like sacked because the business has gone bust, example1 large restaurant chain 3000 people, check out now the unemployment figures, i foresee many many companies/ shops/cafes/pubs etc etc going bust, and we have yet to hear those self employed getting money yet,  this will be a disaster for 1000s of families, not everyone is lucky to have savings, its alright for Khan to stop building projects MPs to stop most other places of employment, there will be more and more living below the poverty line for some time to come, but then you have to weigh up all this against the possibility of catching the virus,  

10 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

Won't the government pay you back?

plus 1

8 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Nice to hear, 80% is a whole lot better than redundancy. 

or unemployment/ sacked

14 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

This country is still functioning due to the hard working and selfless folk like yourselves.

It's the shop workers, bin men, delivery drivers, postie's, etc etc that are keeping things running. And obviously the NHS staff of all levels. All jobs that attract generally lower pay scales. 

I sincerely hope that when we get through this, that the right people are remembered and looked after. It puts into perspective the obscene amounts that some are paid such as sports stars and BBC presenters. The country has run fine without them and can continue to do so.

17 minutes ago, MirokuMK70 said:

im still working , im a binman(having two days off) .

i can confidently predict , that when its all over , well get a pat on the back , and another pay cut .

my lad is still working three days a week , as his company does something to do with ventilator parts . i feel sorry for him because hes still working , but only getting 60% wages  , and earning not much more than dole money , while most of the country is sitting at home watching tv , and getting 80% or 100% wages. i also feel very proud of him , i offered to pay all of his bills so that he could stay at home and stay safe , but he wouldnt as he wanted to make sure that the ventilator parts got made.

My wife works for online shopping for a supermarket. She is having to cope with extra issues and workload, working from home via conference calls and emails. Long days. While I try and homeschool our daughter and run our smallholding.

i am self employed, and after a couple of weeks decide to get back out working as much as possible.

the government has told self employed people, yea stay at home, we will pay you 80% of your average pay from the last 3 years. But we won’t pay you until June. And we won’t even let you know if you are eligible until May. I think there will be a lot of ****** off self employed come May.

people on paye systems are getting 80% to sit at home and chill. Self employed are getting naff all to sit at home. And buy food and drink with nothing, and pay the bills with nothing...

people are getting 80% to do nothing when others are getting their normal wage to do extra work, or normal work at high risk. It’s a stupid system and it sucks and only looks good for those that are on paye and get to stay home.

Edited by southeastpete

8 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

my lad is still working three days a week , as his company does something to do with ventilator parts . i feel sorry for him because hes still working , but only getting 60% wages  , and earning not much more than dole money , while most of the country is sitting at home watching tv , and getting 80% or 100% wages. i also feel very proud of him , i offered to pay all of his bills so that he could stay at home and stay safe , but he wouldnt as he wanted to make sure that the ventilator parts got made.

Chances are he might have been finished if he had said he wasn't going in, maybe not straight away but if their only paying him for three days when he's still working it doesn't say a lot for the company.

Good lad though.

16 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

im still working , im a binman(having two days off) .

i can confidently predict , that when its all over , well get a pat on the back , and another pay cut .

hello, well done to your son mel and lin, on another note we have a local company making ventilators, working around the clock to manufacture, have a warehouse full but cannot be used because of government red tape,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 minute ago, southeastpete said:

people are getting 80% to do nothing when others are getting their normal wage to do extra work, or normal work at high risk. It’s a stupid system and it sucks and only looks good for those that are on paye and get to stay home.

I'm not getting a bean but thought it was good, considering they could have done a lot less.

If a self employed bloke breaks his leg playing football he doesn't get paid, it won't work out for everyone but it's better than I expected. 

I think you are right about when the self employed come to claim their money,  things are bound to go wrong.

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I'm not getting a bean but thought it was good, considering they could have done a lot less.

If a self employed bloke breaks his leg playing football he doesn't get paid, it won't work out for everyone but it's better than I expected. 

I think you are right about when the self employed come to claim their money,  things are bound to go wrong.

hello, who said we cannot save every business or every person, this will be 10/20/40/ 100 fold !!!!!!

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I'm self employed and sat at home most of the time. I had a few rooms to plaster on an empty house which helped. I've also been out and sorted an emergency leak on a water pipe, a blocked toilet and re felted a dormer roof. Although building sites are allowed to stay open the ones I was booked to work on have closed.

When the lock down is lifted I think there's going to be a lot of catching up to do and probably a few 7 day weeks to get back on track. 

I can't help but think the government will take this is an opportunity to clobber the self employed as well as everyone else with a lot higher rates of national insurance and tax. 

Hopefully the lock down will be lifted soon. I can survive at the moment but not for much longer and certainly not til June.