Lads and lasses still working

washerboy

7 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I'm not getting a bean but thought it was good, considering they could have done a lot less.

If a self employed bloke breaks his leg playing football he doesn't get paid, it won't work out for everyone but it's better than I expected. 

I think you are right about when the self employed come to claim their money,  things are bound to go wrong.

I think they should have done a lot less. People don’t have to pay loans or mortgages during this. All they have to pay are essential bills and food shopping. No one needs £2500 for that a month. It shouldn’t be 80% it should be a certain amount that some clever accountant works out should cover the average household bills and food shop and that’s it no more no less for everyone.

Edited by southeastpete

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, southeastpete said:

I think they should have done a lot less. People don’t have to pay loans or mortgages during this. All they have to pay are essential bills and food shopping. No one needs £2500 for that a month. It shouldn’t be 80% it should be a certain amount that some clever accountant works out should cover the average household bills and food shop and that’s it no more no less for everyone.

Totally agree,  I said as much in earlier threads just give a payment per household, but it would have been a nightmare to sort I imagine? 

2 minutes ago, southeastpete said:

I agree with this , it should have been a flat payment for everyone ,  enough money to buy food and provisions for everyone in a household , until this is all over .

Still working as its waste disposal so stuff is still coming out of those businesses that are running. To be fair I am glad of it as I would go stir crazy at home as the kids and the wife are off.

Personally my team and I are happy to be working as we can see the writing on the wall regarding unemployment in the long term even with the furloughing.

51 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

Won't the government pay you back?

No... they will put up my taxes after this to pay for it.

5 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

Some people seem a bit resentful of paye employees getting 80% of their wages, this has been forced upon them it's not by choice...

I'm mindful that for many in e.g. hospitality and retail immediate redundancies were the alternative. This scheme was designed to avoid that and rightly so.

However an awful lot of companies jumped immediately on this bandwagon seeing it as an opportunity to reduce their wage obligations without even trying to make it work...

12 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

Some people seem a bit resentful of paye employees getting 80% of their wages, this has been forced upon them it's not by choice...

Not resentful of the individuals at all, resentful of the way it’s worked out. I don’t work in the nhs or a supermarket, but I think those people should be getting extra pay during this time.

48 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

im still working , im a binman(having two days off) .

i can confidently predict , that when its all over , well get a pat on the back , and another pay cut .

my lad is still working three days a week , as his company does something to do with ventilator parts . i feel sorry for him because hes still working , but only getting 60% wages  , and earning not much more than dole money , while most of the country is sitting at home watching tv , and getting 80% or 100% wages. i also feel very proud of him , i offered to pay all of his bills so that he could stay at home and stay safe , but he wouldnt as he wanted to make sure that the ventilator parts got made.

Good for your lad, best thing he can do is take all the knowledge and skill available whilst making ventilator components and then go to another company that will be more advantageous to his future. This current scenario is going to be long lived and the fear of a future outbreak will keep him in employment.

17 minutes ago, southeastpete said:

Not resentful of the individuals at all, resentful of the way it’s worked out. I don’t work in the nhs or a supermarket, but I think those people should be getting extra pay during this time.

i cannot see the likes of Tesco paying extra !!!!!!! maybe the shareholders ?????, they have not even been given face masks,

45 minutes ago, jonny long shanks said:

I'm self employed and sat at home most of the time. I had a few rooms to plaster on an empty house which helped. I've also been out and sorted an emergency leak on a water pipe, a blocked toilet and re felted a dormer roof. Although building sites are allowed to stay open the ones I was booked to work on have closed.

When the lock down is lifted I think there's going to be a lot of catching up to do and probably a few 7 day weeks to get back on track. 

I can't help but think the government will take this is an opportunity to clobber the self employed as well as everyone else with a lot higher rates of national insurance and tax. 

Hopefully the lock down will be lifted soon. I can survive at the moment but not for much longer and certainly not til June. 

PM sent!

I got laid off the moment they announced the shut down of racing. Actually not directly laid off but put in an untenable situation in that they could only guarantee 2 lots a day. Being that it was a 52 mile round trip I politely told them to go forth and multiply after working for them for a long time, out lasting 18 members of staff and being the number 2 running the place for a year. It was the same week they closed the schools and they shut the nursery.

Fortunately I had started doing some milking 2 afternoons a week when the wife was at home and that's 5 minutes up the road.

So at the minute I've got the 13yr old pinned to a desk doing pythagarus theory or something similar, Mrs BTJ in the dining room at her office and me and the 17 month old have been round the sheep, sorted the horses, walked the grounds and now we're having a brief coffee before she decides it's time for more jobs (definitely her mothers daughter!) 

As a household were probably better off because we haven't got nursery fees to pay which is about £100 and I'm saving £80/week in fuel but as an individual I'm well out of pocket. The only good thing is I lambed early and the grass is coming so I've managed to cut back on my Wynnstay bill and the lamb I sold before this kicked off is covering the cost of feed, pharmaceuticals and shearing.

Hopefully they get the self employed payment system up and running soon or I'll have to start selling my body and last time I did that I only made 55p. Who gave me the 5p? They all did 😉 

hello, good post ben and glad to hear your are all getting through this difficult time, i live in an area with lots of racing stables Lambourn to name one, i hope they will continue after this lockdown, animals still need feeding but many jockeys and staff rely on racing payments

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I work from home, mostly, so not much has changed for me. I work in IT, on an important client, so have to carry on regardless unless they decide to reduce their numbers. I don't think my firm had furloughed anyone though, we're used to working with a "bench", so they'll be enjoying the sun while I trawl through data and documents. I've been cleared for travel, so may have to take a trip up to a datcentre to perform tasks that can't be done remotely, just hope the hotels are still open!

The Mrs worked for 3 weeks but has just been furloughed, her company is in manufacturing but they've shut the factories (except those re purposed for ventilator parts) and they can't justify keeping her entire team going with only a bit of project work. At least now she can educate the kids, unless their GCSEs are in Minecraft and Youtube they might end up a bit behind :D

I'll take the 80%, unless we want to defer out mortgage and other bills and just end up paying more interest, we'll not be saving a penny. Our bills will have gone up with increased gas and leccy, not to mention the unspeakable amount the Mrs manages to spend on food each week.

We've facilitated, on my current client, going from 1500 average home-workers to over 7000 currently. I'd estimate we've increased total home-working across all of our clients by 20-30,000 in the UK. I do wonder how much of it will stick when things return to "normal".

1 minute ago, Demonic69 said:

I work from home, mostly, so not much has changed for me. I work in IT, on an important client, so have to carry on regardless unless they decide to reduce their numbers. I don't think my firm had furloughed anyone though, we're used to working with a "bench", so they'll be enjoying the sun while I trawl through data and documents. I've been cleared for travel, so may have to take a trip up to a datcentre to perform tasks that can't be done remotely, just hope the hotels are still open!

The Mrs worked for 3 weeks but has just been furloughed, her company is in manufacturing but they've shut the factories (except those re purposed for ventilator parts) and they can't justify keeping her entire team going with only a bit of project work. At least now she can educate the kids, unless their GCSEs are in Minecraft and Youtube they might end up a bit behind :D

I'll take the 80%, unless we want to defer out mortgage and other bills and just end up paying more interest, we'll not be saving a penny. Our bills will have gone up with increased gas and leccy, not to mention the unspeakable amount the Mrs manages to spend on food each week.

We've facilitated, on my current client, going from 1500 average home-workers to over 7000 currently. I'd estimate we've increased total home-working across all of our clients by 20-30,000 in the UK. I do wonder how much of it will stick when things return to "normal".

Mrs BTJ does a half day on a Tuesday and when this is all over she will continue to work from home. She needs access to files and paperwork in the office so couldn't work from home permanently but by working at home on a Tuesday morning she'd actually be more productive. She's getting more work done at home than she does in the office, no gossiping, no making cups of tea for the office and not wandering off round the building for a wee! 

1 minute ago, Benthejockey said:

Mrs BTJ does a half day on a Tuesday and when this is all over she will continue to work from home. She needs access to files and paperwork in the office so couldn't work from home permanently but by working at home on a Tuesday morning she'd actually be more productive. She's getting more work done at home than she does in the office, no gossiping, no making cups of tea for the office and not wandering off round the building for a wee! 

We get a lot saying the same pal. Hopefully firms will see the benefits long-term and put provisions in place for some flexible working.

Just now, Demonic69 said:

We get a lot saying the same pal. Hopefully firms will see the benefits long-term and put provisions in place for some flexible working.

If she didn't need to have access to the physical files she could do her job remotely. A better computer or laptop and better broadband and she'd be very happy...well as happy as she could be without a large lottery win! 

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

i can confidently predict , that when its all over , well get a pat on the back , and another pay cut .

Can tell you work for the council 👍😂

Im the only one in ripping out the plylining on the dog **** bin van. If I don't contract something after this, I'm superman 🤔

15873742908742961626369918257798.jpg