If only you were closer

m greeny

Just to give the contrary view...

Replies to posts keep the free advert high up the topic and also ensure there are entries to it in the activity feed. 

Positive replies also highlight value for money or scarcity, indicating the attractiveness of said item. 

If you state ‘collection only’ and live on Hirta then it’s going to be a problem within your own control. 

8 hours ago, m greeny said:

I think people who write this should serve a ban of some sort. I am sick of seeing this comment. If you want something that bad then distance is no object. Just saying 

That would depend on what the item is and how far away, surely. 

8 hours ago, m greeny said:

I think people who write this should serve a ban of some sort. I am sick of seeing this comment. If you want something that bad then distance is no object. Just saying 

You can sometimes get around the distance by asking the seller if he coming into your area at anytime , I normally only buy cartridges and I have had a kind member ( Old Boggy ) pick some up for me when he was on his to Norfolk from Kent , another member ( Smokersmith ) from Lincs had one of his work force lived just down the road from mine,  and the last lot I bought the member lived about 80 / 90 miles away in Newmarket and I met up with him about half way , we have got some very kind members on this forum , and distance is not always a problem, so it is always worth inquiring rather than say , If you were closer 

1 minute ago, Scully said:

I’ve bought and sold three shotguns via PW by meeting someone at a pre-arranged rendezvous....usually in service station car parks! The only one who insisted I meet at his home was selling an air rifle! I didn’t bother.

If you want it there’s always a way. 

I have done this.

motorway services seem to be the usual. 
Inspection of the gun in the boot and cash exchanged. 

happens more often than you think 

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’ve bought and sold three shotguns via PW by meeting someone at a pre-arranged rendezvous....usually in service station car parks! The only one who insisted I meet at his home was selling an air rifle! I didn’t bother.

i have done the same scully  i have also driven more miles than the gun is worth a few times but i treated it as a day out with the mrs and picked it up on the way home

there is always ways round things

apart from that if only you were closer is a p/w classic dont want to lose that

4 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

i don't get this  post  if someone is selling something and it's  a saving of let's say £60 but its the other end of the country and will cost £50  to get there you wished he was closer 😖

Bang on!! 

Seen it loads of times, see a gun private seller, it’s £200 cheaper than the local RFD but you want to see and handle it before just incase. 

If it’s hundreds of miles away it’ll cost you the travel as well as a day of your time. 
If only they were closer is true!! 

Tell me about it, I travelled to Norwich from Wirral/Cheshire to see a dog, then again to choose the pup, finally to collect the puppy, then again to run in a working test with its litter mates.

I also drove a three hour round trip to buy my son a baby rabbit but that was because it was unexpected and urgent, what was on offer was perfect so I had to travel. 

It is very difficult to post dogs or kits. 

19 minutes ago, washerboy said:

Depends.. 

I travelled from Doncaster to Kent to buy a terrier pup unseen. 

Wouldn't travel that distance to buy a car or a gun. 

Nothing ventured nothing gained is how I see it. 
I once travelled to London from Penrith on the train to hand in a painting which had been shortlisted for the RA Summer Exhibition. I took my two teenaged kids and we made a weekend of it. 
It cost me 60 quid for my rail ticket and 25 to enter the painting; the entire weekend cost me 1500 quid! Worth every penny!

Two weeks later I was back down on my own to collect the painting after it was rejected! 😃

I did the same journey the following year after entering the Jerwood Drawing Prize at Wimbledon College of Art, and again the following weekend ( Wimbledon tennis finals weekend 😭 ) to collect it when it also didn’t make the final cut. 😂

Its like not allowing people to go into shops unless they enter a contract to actually buy something. Whats wrong with someone showing an interest in your advertised goods, they may have really wanted your item but due to distance they have declined due to added post costs or similar. 

Just sounds like a miserable Victor Meldrew to me. 

9 hours ago, Scully said:

I wouldn't meet anyone at my home, I'm too security conscious. Public spaces aren't bad but I've been messed around far to many times to travel, my local RFD is only 10 minutes down the road and I always see it as neutral ground, if someone doesn't want to meet there, I won't deal with them + it means they get to actually fire the gun. Never had a problem since I started doing it that way. Helps seal the deal when the prospective buyer can let a few shots off first.

I don't think anything of a trip up to Kettering to see Mr bosher and he's emporium though  👍

I drove to St Ives Cornwall, some years ago - 720 mile round trip - to pick up a Winchester Diamond grade. Bargain, because it had a cracked stock and I had a spare. Drove down with a mate and we sat in St Ives harbour for 20 minutes. He had never been there before and only knew Port Patrick in Scotland and Topsham in Devon existed. His comment - "not bad, but not a patch on Scotland". 

Some people will never learn.