• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

So is traveler code name for immigrant? 

27 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

They are "gypsies" predominantly of southern Irish decent who lived in caravans and move around. 

They have been granted status as a racial minority , and thus 'protected ' above us mere mortals.

The fact is, many of them are simply Brits who have married into , or adopted the travelling lifestyle.
If I decided to live in a caravan, travelled from town to town asking for construction or landscape work, and didnt wash, I could call myself a traveller , and adopt myself a new racial identity.

Its ridiculous.

52 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Romany Gypsies are said to have their roots in India and came to Europein the 13th century, while Travellers are mainly of Irish origin. ... Irish Travellers used to be referred to as 'tinkers.

When I was a nipper I remember them going door to door selling hand made pegs and such like, if you spotted one coming to your door you did not answer it, if you did answer the door and then refused to buy anything its said they put a curse on your house.

Edited by old'un

25 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

They have been granted status as a racial minority , and thus 'protected ' above us mere mortals.

The fact is, many of them are simply Brits who have married into , or adopted the travelling lifestyle.
If I decided to live in a caravan, travelled from town to town asking for construction or landscape work, and didnt wash, I could call myself a traveller , and adopt myself a new racial identity.

Its ridiculous.

travellers frown upon marrying gorgas (normal folk) spent a lot of time with irish tinkers when young rascals even got me shot once the modern day ones are like a lot of our own very little in the way of standards or morals 

32 minutes ago, clangerman said:

travellers frown upon marrying gorgas (normal folk) spent a lot of time with irish tinkers when young rascals even got me shot once the modern day ones are like a lot of our own very little in the way of standards or morals 

May I enquire where were you shot and what with? Sounds nasty. 

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

May I enquire where were you shot and what with? Sounds nasty. 

my uncle used to shoe their horses so i often ferreted with them farmer had a lot if rabbits in his garden seeing him leave we set about the rabbits unfortunately something made him return making our escape he grabbed his 12bore gave us both barrels being a young lad scared me to death returning to my grandparents farm i copped a few welts to go with my pock marks from the old man 

Irish Traveller is a legally recognised ethnic minority in the UK. That was decreed in the High Court, fair and square. They meet the criteria for being a distinct ethnic minority. Romanies are a different ethnic minority. Lots of settled Romany and Irish Traveller people around here. 

A person of any ethnicity can have the status of "gypsy" under the law, to mean a person of nomadic habits and some other bits like travelling in cohesive groups, and travelling for economic purposes. Fairground people, boat people, "new age travellers" (anything from people who want to live in a van to people who can't afford a house).

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

You have to prove a history of being in England for 600+ years for a people to be awarded ethnic minority status, so neither Romanies or Irish Travellers are recent immigrants, not when compared to the Huguenots (16th Century), Indians (17th Century) , Africans (19th Century), Germans or Russian Jews (also 19th Century). 

9 hours ago, henry d said:

Yeah but you were the first to deviate it from travellers to Asians...why would you do that?

The only non Pakistani grooming gang I ever heard of were travellers.

I’m fully aware that most online grooming is done by white people and I’m right behind the paedo hunters, so don’t have any racial bias.

It isn't just criminal activity that gets 'different treatment'.

Locally about 2 years ago a traveller family bought (in a very underhand way) a patch of land.  The applied for planning for 2 caravans (retrospectively I might add) and had already constructed road access (again with no permission).  Despite almost unanimous objections from both parish, and district councillors, the highways department, the drainage people, the railway authority (the land borders a railway), and every public body, plus a large number of residents/locals ......... retrospective planning was given - because the council had a duty to provide ....... etc.

Once that was in suddenly the number of caravans increased (as many of the objections had predicted they would) and another retrospective application went in increasing the permitted number to 10.  That is currently 'pending' but 'the word' is that it will be passed.  Again all local councillors have objected, as have the public bodies and many locals.  However the council 'officials' have indicated that they are to recommend acceptance.

Had this been for tourism (another caravan centric matter) there is no doubt whatsoever it would have been refused.  But somewhere the council has been (apparently and I have not looked into the who, why and when of this) charged with a duty to allow 'suitable' sites - and suitable seems to mean 'where they want'.

The tales I could tell! Living for 58 years in the town which hosts Europe’s biggest Gypsy Horse Fair gathering ( allegedly ) I’ve seen and experienced many examples of one law for us and one for them. It has always been thus in my experience, regarding gypsies. 😀

I used to have a 10 acre woodland outside Hastings, and I had a touring caravan on the site because - to me - it made more sense to keep it there than to transport it backwards and forwards every weekend.

Needless to say, after about 18 months we got a visit from the planning department, telling us to remove the caravan. I could have just said "yes sir", but the little devil on my shoulder made me take on the council. :mad:

There was a subsequent hearing at Hastings town hall, and the very first question to me was "Are you a traveller?"  Like an idiot, I said no. That was pretty much the end of the hearing, and I was told to remove the caravan.

I often wonder what the outcome would have been if I had of said yes to the question about being a traveller. :hmm:

We get them stopping off on campus on there way north and then south on there way home again to there houses after spending the summer in a van there's nothing romantic or gypsy , like about then there's just thieves . While we have nearly 600 cameras on the cctv the boss decided we sit and watch them and log there movements and believe me that really ****** them off as if they go out there numbers and  car reg is logged till they come back and the police come and ask what went on during a 24 hour period and can tie them into unsolved thefts , but then do nothing about it .

I wouldn't mind them stopping over but its the amount of mess they leave behind them not just food wrappings but old caravans stuff from jobs hedge trimmings,  tarmac  ect when they move on after there 7 days are up the landscape dept are called into tidy it up and nobody in the landscape has a good word to say about that   once i had to get the firebradge out as they had a big bonfire on a tarmac car park and ruined it but did it because its there custom 

7 minutes ago, Cheshirelad said:

I used to have a 10 acre woodland outside Hastings, and I had a touring caravan on the site because - to me - it made more sense to keep it there than to transport it backwards and forwards every weekend.

Needless to say, after about 18 months we got a visit from the planning department, telling us to remove the caravan. I could have just said "yes sir", but the little devil on my shoulder made me take on the council. :mad:

There was a subsequent hearing at Hastings town hall, and the very first question to me was "Are you a traveller?"  Like an idiot, I said no. That was pretty much the end of the hearing, and I was told to remove the caravan.

I often wonder what the outcome would have been if I had of said yes to the question about being a traveller. :hmm:

First time we where invaded by them my boss in the control room phones the help line , " we have been invaded by ####'s  here mate , To be told i beg your pardon there travellers . The boy on the other end of the council phone help line is a TRAVELLER made good LOL , Given a council house and a job by the council 

There are many hundreds of examples up and down the country of these so called travellers acquiring parcels of land and then illegally developing it . Many even despatch with their caravans and build houses. Once they find these plots and establish themselves they cease travelling for ever. Should we still refer to them as travellers as they no longer travel.

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

They are lawless and under prosecuted which makes them even more lawless and under prosecuted.

Many years ago through work I got drawn into a traveller dispute - never again.

Very hard to prosecute them, where do you send the summons? Classic catch 22

Im my time as a high court enforcement officer i dealt with quite a few gypsies and romany travellers, the real romany travellers, just want a quiet life and to be left alone, i was always treated with politeness and often shared a cup of tea and a fag, notices were served and they true to their word were gone within 24 hrs, you couldn't tell they had been there apart from the patch of worn grass from the horses.

Then there are travellers, who don't care about anyone except themselves, they are aggressive and very confrontational and will attack you with no warning, they will wreck anywhere they stay and don't care about the police as they know little is ever done.They have been getting away with it for so long now and it really needs a change in how they are dealt with by the authorities .

13 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Irish Traveller is a legally recognised ethnic minority in the UK. That was decreed in the High Court, fair and square. They meet the criteria for being a distinct ethnic minority. Romanies are a different ethnic minority. Lots of settled Romany and Irish Traveller people around here. 

A person of any ethnicity can have the status of "gypsy" under the law, to mean a person of nomadic habits and some other bits like travelling in cohesive groups, and travelling for economic purposes. Fairground people, boat people, "new age travellers" (anything from people who want to live in a van to people who can't afford a house).

You have to prove a history of being in England for 600+ years for a people to be awarded ethnic minority status, so neither Romanies or Irish Travellers are recent immigrants, not when compared to the Huguenots (16th Century), Indians (17th Century) , Africans (19th Century), Germans or Russian Jews (also 19th Century). 

What about "thieving scum"?

Just watched it and am not at all surprised, of the 13 permissions i have 10 have been subjected to criminal damage, theft, fly tipping, and threats of violence, all are within 5 miles of traveler sites. The police seem to be afraid to do anything about it, it's time to put a stop to this as its getting completely out of hand.

Edited by dead eye alan

9 minutes ago, henry d said:

I have lived for 30 years within 2 miles of a traveller site and never had a bit of bother.

There is a big settlement in Penrith and another in Carlisle. I can’t speak for the inhabitants close to the one in Carlisle, but the one in Penrith causes no problems either. You don’t poop on your own doorstep.

I have a lot of time for Romanies but absolutely none for ‘travellers’.