C4 dispatches ‘the truth about traveller crime’

pegasus bridge

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This topic caused me to re-read an Independent  article on Rathkeale: a small Irish town mostly owned by wealthy travellers returning every year with their proceeds of crime. An interesting read (sorry, can't do links)

7 minutes ago, Bobba said:

This topic caused me to re-read an Independent  article on Rathkeale: a small Irish town mostly owned by wealthy travellers returning every year with their proceeds of crime. An interesting read (sorry, can't do links)

hello, www.independant.co.uk febuary 2016, Limerick is well know for the Travelling community,

2 hours ago, Scully said:

🤢 Mmmm....not pleasant! Must admit pig poop can really stink, but this smell used to make you retch! You still get the odd whiff now and then but it's not half as bad as it once was. 

I had to meet someone in an abatoir once, and that was also a gut-wrenching pong. Almost bad enough to turn me into a vegetarian! :whistling:

10 hours ago, henry d said:

Nope, I quite regularly forget to lock my car and house doors. Last thing we had stolen from our garden was my daughter's bike away back in the mid 90's.

I wonder how many people can say that they have been subject to criminal acts more from travellers than local Crims?

I can. 

I deal with the scumbags on an almost weekly basis. 

I have never met one that wasn't a total and utter crook. 

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Did your boyfriend ask you to post it or did you just forget to say something? 

4 hours ago, panoma1 said:

And rich or poor, a criminal is a criminal......it is an individual choice!

Very much, but there is a great chasm between driving to fast because you are late for something and having to choose between criminality and being homeless/not feeding the kids/paying bills/...

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Very much, but there is a great chasm between driving to fast because you are late for something and having to choose between criminality and being homeless/not feeding the kids/paying bills/...

I suppose that’s the only redeeming feature about travellers, in that they don't care who they commit crime against; rich, poor, old or young, they aren’t fussy at all. 
Mind you, thinking about it, I doubt they have the monopoly on targeting the defenceless. 

Many years ago my friends son was knocked off his bike and killed by a driver cutting across a corner. The police attended and the driver was an Irish Tinker. He gave an address of a caravan park on the edge of Oxford, He had no birth certificate or other documents to prove his identity and only produced a paper copy of a driving license. Did he turn up at court, of course not he had disappeared and no one knows who he really was.
Thames Valley Police have had an officer dragged behind a car drive by these travellers and this time they have not let them disappear, stable door and all that.

53 minutes ago, Stuarta said:

Many years ago my friends son was knocked off his bike and killed by a driver cutting across a corner. The police attended and the driver was an Irish Tinker. He gave an address of a caravan park on the edge of Oxford, He had no birth certificate or other documents to prove his identity and only produced a paper copy of a driving license. Did he turn up at court, of course not he had disappeared and no one knows who he really was.
Thames Valley Police have had an officer dragged behind a car drive by these travellers and this time they have not let them disappear, stable door and all that.

hello, not forgetting those from the Oxford site jailed for slavery offences

When my son was at secondary school and aged about thirteen or fourteen some travellers came and put their caravans on an area where some children from the school (who lived locally) would play. Apparently the travellers didn't like this and made threats to those kids. The next day at lunchtime two hundred or so plus of children from his school went down armed with stones to the caravans and "stoned" them. Not a pane of glass was left unbroken. He always recounts the story as "the stoning". The caravans and the occupants were gone that same evening.

Edited by enfieldspares

A tangent but related.

Odd event occurred on the way home from work  today. On a twisting road through woodland I came into a tight S bend to find an oncoming car swerving wildly in my lane with a huge old caravan in tow. I slammed on and he managed to slide past without hitting me, stoping diagonally across the road. I reversed back to “explain” my views and the driver wound his window down, he was about 15 and looked exhausted and petrified. Poor lad asked (in a heavy traveller accent) if he was near the port for Holyhead. I explained he was in the wrong country and he looked so dejected. He asked for directions but all the cars in the now formed queue were beeping like idiots, so all I could say was head west and you’ll get there.

Poor lad, so ill prepared and looked so miserable. He hadn’t meant to cause an accident but was just incapable. I do feel that the traveler lifestyle, by opting out of so many things in mainstream society is negligent upon their own children - what hope do they have when it’s all they know. 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

A tangent but related.

Odd event occurred on the way home from work  today. On a twisting road through woodland I came into a tight S bend to find an oncoming car swerving wildly in my lane with a huge old caravan in tow. I slammed on and he managed to slide past without hitting me, stoping diagonally across the road. I reversed back to “explain” my views and the driver wound his window down, he was about 15 and looked exhausted and petrified. Poor lad asked (in a heavy traveller accent) if he was near the port for Holyhead. I explained he was in the wrong country and he looked so dejected. He asked for directions but all the cars in the now formed queue were beeping like idiots, so all I could say was head west and you’ll get there.

Poor lad, so ill prepared and looked so miserable. He hadn’t meant to cause an accident but was just incapable. I do feel that the traveler lifestyle, by opting out of so many things in mainstream society is negligent upon their own children - what hope do they have when it’s all they know. 

Are you for real? 

5 hours ago, southeastpete said:

Are you for real? 

How do you mean? Did this happen yesterday? Yes. Was it witnessed by a colleague sat in my car? Yes. 

6 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

Thankfully there was no contact - you just know the finer details like insurance would be absent.

He looked too young to hold a driver’s licence, it’s a safe bet there was no insurance. 

11 hours ago, Stuarta said:

Bloody disgrace, the police should have arrested him there and then, and kept him in custody pending an appearance in court next day, to hopefully be remanded in custody on the basis there was a real risk the accused would flee! .......c/o a caravan park somewhere in Oxfordshire is not an address, and failure to prove identity should have gotten alarm bells ringing!

Sounds like your friend, his family and the victim were badly let down? :no: