Part 1 of 2 covering my bag of 138 over barley drillings

KillStone

28 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Some good shooting. Enjoyable video. Music much less awful 😉

Nice little purple patch, would have been good to see you pace out the 55 yarders - hard for us to get context with ShotKam zoom.

Yes I agree very difficult to guage distance tried to show the extent of lead even with my "pull-away " ish shooting style to give an idea of range but after making this one my intention for the next outing (could be a while under lockdown as all drillings are safe) would be to try and place "marker" decoys at say 20-30-40-50 yards at start of video and where id be hoping to shoot most birds so that as /if any hit the deck you guys can see the range roughly? would that be helpful do you think? 

42 minutes ago, motty said:

Some nice shots, there, but too many pricked for my liking. You A-holed several.

By the way, I personally prefer the kind of presentation shown at 8:40. It gives a far better idea of distance etc.

Genuine question but in a let’s say 100bird day decoying how many if any birds would you expect to hit but not come down at the shot? And how many shots on an average would you reckon to fire on such a day? I understand you are probably a much better shot than myself hence the question to try figure out a good average. Thanks for the comment anyway. Yes I prefer the camera footage but it’s very difficult on your own and with limited resources but I will endeavour to improve as I go.

edit to say on this day I picked 123 from initial pattern area and 5more from trees about 200m away so 128picked without a dog from a bag of 138 

Edited by KillStone

Well done, a very good video and some confident shooting.
The picture quality was really clear, the nice weather probably helped that.
Its honest that you show misses as well as clean kills
Its my experience that corvids can be hit hard and keep going, but I have seen them drop many times in the far distance.

Looking forward to Part 2.🙂

23 minutes ago, JDog said:

I think that you linger on the birds for too long before taking the shots. You say you have a 'pull awayish style' but I am not sure that you do.

Thanks for watching. Much of this footage particularly around the shots  is still at a fraction of real-time speed. I don't think I've ever been said to linger on a target but I guess that's all perspective and would be different when relative to different people so compared to you perhaps I do? I had never known nor thought about my technique or style of shooting still don't tbh it as I believe it would play on the mind too much when shooting if I did but having gotten the shotkam it has shown me a lot that I never knew was going on in terms of gun speed and perceived lead used on targets that at the time is all done subconsciously I guess! I hope you enjoyed the video either way.

1 minute ago, old'un said:

29g 6s is plenty enough for blacks, well done. :good:

Thanks! If its in the right place it does the trick anything else is my fault haha

6 minutes ago, JDog said:

A sensible reply I feel.

My own technique would not come out well with a shot cam. 

Yes I enjoyed the video and look forward to more.

I welcome all comments (within reason haha) not one to be too readily offended or anything, as I'm just starting out with these videos the feedback is proving really useful! Hopefully it will end up with my being able to make a decent ongoing series of the sport that will provide a good little bit of entertainment for likeminded people but I am all too aware of the saying "you can't please everyone" and tbh I was expecting to get more stick for my abilities with both camera and gun 🤣 I will try to improve with the filming next time im out purchased a small tripod for the normal camera so will try get that to work a bit better next time as an example. Never know perhaps this year will be the one I've been waiting for when my shooting improves hahah.

I think part 2, the afternoon of this day, will be a bit more apt for this site so I will do the best I can with the footage from it for you all!

Stay safe and good shooting mate

Good, level headed discussion. 

Just an observation as I noticed the back ended birds too. Firstly, it’s going to happen - the birds were in range and given a full pattern, just fractionally short on lead. However I didn’t mention as i didn’t want it to seem like criticism.

Anyway, my point is - if you notice when it’s a big impact on crows with lots of feathers it’s normally their back end and they inevitably fly on. That’s what gives the blacks a reputation for being hard to kill. If they fly head first into a stream of shot they don’t lose a feather but are stone dead in the air. ShotKam really good for showing reaction to this level of shot placement. 

For clarity, these are observations and I’m certainly not saying I kill them any better than the OP - I’ve got dogs to keep in use, that’s my excuse 😎.

10 hours ago, KillStone said:

Genuine question but in a let’s say 100bird day decoying how many if any birds would you expect to hit but not come down at the shot? And how many shots on an average would you reckon to fire on such a day? I understand you are probably a much better shot than myself hence the question to try figure out a good average. Thanks for the comment anyway. Yes I prefer the camera footage but it’s very difficult on your own and with limited resources but I will endeavour to improve as I go.

edit to say on this day I picked 123 from initial pattern area and 5more from trees about 200m away so 128picked without a dog from a bag of 138 

We all wound birds, unfortunately. I would say that I get a few that fly on, but not all that many.  Your wounded birds seemed to be consistently hit in the rear end.

I would continue to show misses, but maybe refrain from showing wounded birds flying away.

Other than that, I liked your video.

Really enjoyed that and some good shooting. Perhaps upping your speed of swing would help you to 'get through' those birds you hit in the rear? It's not a criticism at all, but I felt myself leaning further to one side as I tried to get that 'cross' a bit further through the bird before you pulled the trigger! 😀 Thanks for posting, really did enjoy it. 

33 minutes ago, Scully said:

Really enjoyed that and some good shooting. Perhaps upping your speed of swing would help you to 'get through' those birds you hit in the rear? It's not a criticism at all, but I felt myself leaning further to one side as I tried to get that 'cross' a bit further through the bird before you pulled the trigger! 😀 Thanks for posting, really did enjoy it. 

I’m putting together the second half of the day and would appear to have started connecting more towards front edge of the birds as the day went on. But I will definitely try pull out on them a little bit more Thanks for the tip! 👍🏼 I haven’t done much shooting In the last couple years only the odd day or two here and there so I’d like to think I’m just a bit rusty. Looking to do a lot more and more regularly this year again and improve to a decent standard with a bit of luck! Cheers for watching bud