Air Arms S510 Failure - Advice Please

mechanical_bees

I've used my son's rifle to deal with a couple of local magpies but the third shot did nothing - no shooting action.

I checked after the 3rd magpie had flown off to confirm I had correctly cocked the rifle and released the safety catch.

I checked the pressure (which was 150 bar) and have now pressurised it to 190 bar but still it does not shoot.

Can anyone please advise what might have happened and how I can resolve the problem - my son will not be happy with my returning his rifle in a non operational state. Thanks for any pointers

Hi All, thanks for replies. 

I've passed a gun cleaning rod through to make sure all is clear - so that's OK.

The cocking lever does travel all the way with no addition load or resistance although I will need to listen to hear if I can hear any cocking action. Not sure if this will repeat cocking as the rifle seems already cocked as the trigger when pulled does not cause the rifle to shoot 

The magazine does index correctly with no change I can detect.

When I pull the trigger it moves as usual but nothing happens with the firing mechanism and no air sounds, leaks or action.

A real puzzle! Sure there must be a reason but what has me beat.

Appreciate any thoughts please.

3 minutes ago, mechanical_bees said:

Hi All, thanks for replies. 

I've passed a gun cleaning rod through to make sure all is clear - so that's OK.

The cocking lever does travel all the way with no addition load or resistance although I will need to listen to hear if I can hear any cocking action. Not sure if this will repeat cocking as the rifle seems already cocked as the trigger when pulled does not cause the rifle to shoot 

The magazine does index correctly with no change I can detect.

When I pull the trigger it moves as usual but nothing happens with the firing mechanism and no air sounds, leaks or action.

A real puzzle! Sure there must be a reason but what has me beat.

Appreciate any thoughts please.

hello, did you check air guage when filling to 190, that is the maximum, if it is over can effect the mechanism on firing

Without sounding stupid is the safety off....

Edit to add: I have just looked on the air Arms owners and it's a common fault by all accounts ...top sear failing...look on the site as they say it's an easy fix too...

Hope this helps 

M1

Edited by mad1

There was a batch of rifles back in 2016 that had a tendency to snap the upper sear - it's a simple enough job to open up the trigger unit on these and the fault will be apparent - if it is the sear then replacements are around the £15 mark. Remove the stock and lay the rifle on it's side with the 2 (?) trigger plate screws facing upwards - remove the screws and gently prise the plate away - you will soon see any broken parts.You should depressurise the gun before playing around with the trigger - or find a gunsmith to do the job for you.

4 minutes ago, mechanical_bees said:

Apart now from having my son's rifle not working to return to him, the magpies now seem to realise it's safe to be in the garden again - I can't have that!

Not sure what to do with the rifle so hoping for some inspiration from the experts. Please help.

Thanks in advance, John

Don't mess simply own up, if it's the sear then it would have gone anyway. 

My old fella did this many moons ago, double loaded my rapid, panicked a bit thinking I'd be fuming, so our kid took the mod off and the barrel,  rounded a grub screw.

Better to just say it ain't working than make it worse.